Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good one, Jim. My own first experience was vicarious. My Army buddy I met at DINFOS in Indy and I went to our first Thai restaurant day one in a Bangkok hotel. He ordered a Thai shrimp salad, massive Tiger prawns. Waitress put the customary little bowl of prik nam pla beside it and he asked her what it was for. She looked at him, then took it and empty it over the salad. He shrugged, and took a mouthful of the salad. As you say, he looked as though he was undergoing a heart attack. Started chugging any cold liquid in sight and sputtering everywhere. We laughed ourselves silly. I started with only a teaspoon full but rapidly went to dumping the bowl over the food. Bill was from Ohio, and never developed much of an attachment to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I accidentally bit into a very special Thai pepper when I was having a bowl of Tom Ka Gai in a restaurant in Bangkok.  I had to get up from the table, leave the restaurant, find a glass of milk and some ice, and walk around for about 15 minutes....The waitress thought I was having a stroke.....I will never forget it....

That's funny, once in Mexico in a restaurant my nephew asked the waiter if they had some of the more spicy sauce, she brought some and I put some on a chip. Stupid idea it was bad, never again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, yeah...Tomatoes and other common things are just, well, common....Not to dis anyone, but damn, why grow jalapenos or serranos when I can get them for .99 cents a pound at the store?  I love growing things that other folks might not have thought of or done, and we love doing things to give them away and try new recipes.  We put the peppers in our green beans and pickles, and make hot sauce....and we send peppers to our friends for their own recipes.

• Like 3

In the absence of Thai Burapas, Serranos are my "goto" pepper for most things. My family is used to my old comment "This is superb...only thing that would make it better is a Serrano." But, I note they are dumbing down even Serranos now to where I refer to some of them as 'Green Peppers with a bit of attitude."

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Coffee @ 0400 up early to mount a new OTA TV antenna in the attic before it became a kiln.
Trip to the dump with excess pallets and cardboard while the wife took to the base golf course driving range.

Picked up a pork shoulder. Never cooked one; a new challenge for the pellet grill.
Cleared two codes from the wife's 2007 Honda mini van. P1717 RVS Switch (shifter selection switch) and P16C4 (engine mount control solenoid open) . Both set at the same time which is curious. She called and reported Transmission fault text and flashing "D" shifter light.
It is after noon and 9 hours into the day...cocktails.

• Like 3

• Moderators
19 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

epper garden photos.  These all went in as very small plants on Mothers Day, 2018.

I would love to see a bug try to eat those, probably pest free ? I know the leaves are not hot but when there are peppers I would think the smell would keep away bugs.

DIY pepper spray  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dtel said:

I would love to see a bug try to eat those, probably pest free ? I know the leaves are not hot but when there are peppers I would think the smell would keep away bugs.

DIY pepper spray  ?

There are actually some worms that will bore into them.  The acid must not bother them.

I don't have any issues with bugs eating my pepper plants, thank goodness.  Now, my roses are a different story.  I think part of the reason that they don't bother the peppers is that I have a large batch of mint growing right behind all the pots, and I have a feeling that it is a natural deterrent....I could be wrong, but maybe.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Could be, I know marigolds are said to do that with some bugs. 

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

There are actually some worms that will bore into them.  The acid must not bother them.

Must be one tough worm, I would have thought the peppers would have kept bugs away.

My grandson, 4 years old and knows everything picked a orange pepper off of a plant by the front door and insisted it was a carrot. After 5 minutes of trying to convince him it was a pepper he argued it was a carrot, I told taste it and see. He bit in in half and chewed it for a couple seconds looking at me like he was right. He ran to get water and about 20 minutes later I asked him if he still thought it was a carrot, he said yes it's a hot carrot. I thought it was really funny because he knows everything and is very sure about it.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, dtel said:

Could be, I know marigolds are said to do that with some bugs. 

Must be one tough worm, I would have thought the peppers would have kept bugs away.

My grandson, 4 years old and knows everything picked a orange pepper off of a plant by the front door and insisted it was a carrot. After 5 minutes of trying to convince him it was a pepper he argued it was a carrot, I told taste it and see. He bit in in half and chewed it for a couple seconds looking at me like he was right. He ran to get water and about 20 minutes later I asked him if he still thought it was a carrot, he said yes it's a hot carrot. I thought it was really funny because he knows everything and is very sure about it.

Mezcal_Worm_Monte_Alban.gif
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Going to be roasting some peppers and garlic today for a new pepper sauce recipe.  Hopefully my gas grill can maintain a steady 400 degrees as there's no way I'm doing this in the house.

20180701_084705.jpg

Good thinkin'   Careful you don't overdo the garlic, it will turn bitter.