Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Is there a good, inexpensive DAC?

I have this one and it works wonderfully.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

You can get it for just usb out put which you don't need a power adapter as it powers up via usb.  You can all so get it for Toshlink but I think you need a power adapter then.  Well worth the money in my opinion.

• Like 1

Sold my Music Streamer II, so am DACless at the moment. Worked off the USB, did the job pretty good, not perfect but, what is.

Which makes me wonder, how does the Spotify sound Tarheel?

As you know, the soundcard/video may be decent in your computer compared to other.

No doubt some deals out there.

I am happy at the moment...Dacless.

• Like 1

billybob.....Spotify sounds better than Pandora but a little thin and lacking some dynamics.  I know nothing about sound cards so I have no idea if its good or not.  Really didn't want to have to purchase another piece of equipment :wacko:

Hey chuck, before i bought my DAC unit, i went to fry's and bought a little "Dragon Fly" type device just to try it out.

It worked well enough to get me shopping for my current DAC.

I still have it in the package here somewhere, if you want to play with it, you can have it NO charge, PM me your address if you want it.

• Like 6

I think using a usb cord bypasses the sound card. Anyone?  Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Yes, it does, and thereby, getting rid of cheap soundcard noise.

Agreed.  I like to think about it this way in that your computer will recognize the external DAC device as another soundcard to select (in some ways not much different from selecting printers, hard drives, etc.).  I have found that the drivers for the DAC will typically make the external DAC the default path automatically when connected; however, I've had a couple of strange situations where drivers wouldn't load correctly with certain USB cables.

• Like 2

billybob.....Spotify sounds better than Pandora but a little thin and lacking some dynamics.  I know nothing about sound cards so I have no idea if its good or not.  Really didn't want to have to purchase another piece of equipment :wacko:

The dragonfly is supposed to be a decent one according to reviews,etc. My DAC sure did the job on soundstage, dynamics..........

Mark may give it a thumbs up...

• Like 1