Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Spring in Germany at last. For 3 days over 11 hours of sunshine, wonderful after a long gray and wet winter. Nevertheless, the mood remains clouded, the war in Ukraine lies like a heavy dark shadow over Europe, Europeans are worried about the developement. Europe has a new Hitler whose propaganda machine confuses the realities. Absolute madness ........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Hanging out and waiting on delivery folks. Discovered with some cpuid programs that I used to use a lot that I had voltage fluctuations that weren't par for a Seasonic psu and Asus mb combo.

So rebuilding... glad AMD has new stuff out `cause last years is less now. Kinda-sorta less, we've got one of those too George.

• Like 2

@MicroMara Hi George

Good to hear from you. Yeah...The world is scary. Having the "neighbors" you have, I would be anxious, too. Ukrainian refugees are turning up at the border down here ... along with a few Russians seeking asylum status.

I will nip a big rant before I ever start.....

@JohnJ

Long time since you've stopped by here. Ya doin' OK? I gather you are doing some electronic work [I didn't understand any of the terms in your last post].

• Like 3

I'm getting by, just bummed about my lack of mobility and housing far far away from here (HOPEFULLY);)

That surge here first week of December must have gotten through the surge protector that was old. I had to get a new UPS then. I know that some of my pc crashes were due to youtube getting mad about third party cookie blocking system wide on my part.

When my Eset firewall gets turned off... that's win11 according to the logs. But .5w voltage variances when I setup a couple programs to run in the admin acct just watching showed the E to the memory and the 12v rail just not good from my time being an oc maniac back in the athlon days of win xp.

Going with Kerio if I create a business entity maybe. They have a version under $40 yearly now, I have my credentials from my lifetime license that expired when they went for Business only after xp. If not  maybe Tinywall or WFN and any of several cloud or signature anti-malware programs. maybe there is something out there that win11 can't defeat! My best setup ever was Kerio firewall with Eset v 2.xx and XP x64 with an Opteron and Thermalright copper on it!

Distros are an alternative but I don't like Thunderbird mail or Firefox for a browser. Have to find one that recognizes .pngs and .jpegs. 

• Like 3

My brother surprised me tonight. Called and then picked up some spicy food for me! 

So glad I have some Pepcid here. Sure you pepper-heads would recognize the seeds in the red salsa. The green is similar to the Herdez Hot Guacamole salsa except it is more hot also. No beef in the enchiladas, but I've got fresh tamales in the fridge for tomorrow along with the really good different to me guac!

PXL-20220323-004652080.jpg

yep nothing but habs in the red stuff!

PXL-20220323-004622293.jpg

Chunkiest guacamole I have ever had, great stuff!

Have you ever had frijoles that had cocoa powder in them? yuk

• Like 7

How do all?

I made tiramisu. Didn't have all the ingredients...

No mascarpone... so, after a bit of research, I made some. No idea how well I did. Never eaten the stuff [mascarpone] before. The recipe was simple enough. I guess it worked. When I was done,a pint of cream had turned solid/ish.

for strong coffee.... I used some medium dark roast Kona.... brew as per the instructions. 2 Tablespoons/cup.Still wasn't as strong as starbux "base spirit"...You had to embellish it to drink it, though.

Never having eaten tiramisu either... I think it came out OK. Wife's secretary/chef got some... I expect a critique.

• Like 2

Just pick some up the next time, it's good in all those Italian sweets that are great after tomatos and garlic!                         * Wasn't knocking ya Willie that marscapone is like cream cheese except much more rich kinda sweet with the citrus tang to it.

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 4

We had a great spring week, averaging 68 F and 12 hours of sunshine daily, wonderful. I use these days to go to Holland for a few hours every day. To Venlo , a nearby Dutch border town.  Venlo is a Dutch city and municipality in the province of Limburg. As of January 1, 2022, the municipality had 102,128 inhabitants. The river Maas flows through Venlo. The city is about 1 hour drive away. Many groceries are cheaper here and also especially fresh, so I like to shop here. Especially fresh here is the fish and of course all the delicious cheeses. The Dutch are a totally laid back lovely people, I love spending time there. 

Some impressions ......

Venlo3kleiner.thumb.jpg.e0a975eee8c65fb131ff597d8d8c49c1.jpg

Venlo1kleiner.thumb.jpg.1e10e9aec224b4240fd50a081cd6786d.jpg

Venlo5kleiner.thumb.jpg.84c04d1310c170bcc3e885df6d8962a7.jpg

venlo10.thumb.jpg.9d793f4cedc2a77f91897ff492871fa5.jpg

venlo9.thumb.jpg.54a37658987c7e8b37a85e977c6a49ce.jpg

Of course, because it is legal in the Netherlands, I occasionally visit a Dutch coffeeshop.

venlo11.thumb.jpg.65c8a59079de1947976f4ab16c273a7f.jpg

Looks like that " Snoop Doggy Dog " was here as well

venlo12.jpg.551964685cd18beeb1b23476f4faca55.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I guess 55` and rain would be called Spring in most places... just not here. That describes winter.  I see lots of weather predicted for when this gets east... Temp dropped from 90 on Sunday ... a little 35` change.I'll be lookin' out the window and drinking coffee all day.

@RandyH

that looks good... whether it's cake or bread

• Like 3

Our temps have been from the 30s am to the 60s pm. Dry 20% rh air for the most part too! getting 70 again soon though.

Been fighting mfst trying to control what I can install, do or view on the pc rebuild. So I've been inside too much lately.

Found some real Canadian Bacon for the first time in years... making eggs benedict leaves a lot to clean up, got it soaking it can wait until my coffee is gone.

It's simple.

Bacon ain't from turkeys d@mn*((!

• Like 3

you make your hollandaise?   Pretty easy. It's just mayo with a pedigree.

I slammed a batch of chili together last night. Need to put it back on the stove. It didn't get much [any] simmer time.... needs some spicing adjustments, too.

We have a few fires going in the hills. When they report on them they always say,"We believe these to be human caused"...

Ya think!?! Hasn't been any lighting [lately] and I seriously doubt the cows are playing with matches....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

egg yolks, butter, lemon and some pepper.

Never tried a mix. Knorr has some pretty good ones.

With the mix they don't call for lemon anymore, it must be in there dehydrated. Just add milk and butter to it.

I made `em kind of like mcds, each on one muffin, ate like a sandwich, lick fingers drink more coffee and you're done! 

Recommended with Van Morrison in the brunch background

• Like 1
  • Haha 1