How loud do you listen?

Zen Traveler

Kain, I take it you are very pleased with the Seaton Sound SubMersive for HT and music duty! One day I would love to hear one.

Sure am! :D

The SubMersive was an awesome upgrade to my home theater. I ran it without a subwoofer for 6 years till I bought the SubMersive in 2009. Took the experience to another level. :)

• Moderators
And couldn't listen to the live symphony orchestra (from fairly close seats) PWK cites. Actually, so much goes into our measuring of SPL, that it's hard to say (see my earlier post). As you probably know, PWK recorded symphony orchestras many times, and I'll bet he had a SPL meter with him, along with his multiple wrist watches.

If I remember correctly he also liked marching bands, now that would be strange to listen to. It would sound cool if the band were walking by like in a parade where you heard each section get louder as it gets closer to you then fade off in the other direction.

Mostly lounge type jazz . Sometime when the wife is around she will tell me to turn it up a little. I listen to some mild rock, pop, R&B, and very little Hip Hop or rock.

I don't listen to much Jazz but do like Steely Dan and Donald Fagan...I have all of their/his material on DVD-A and listened to Goucho and Morph the cat last night and was surprised that I didn't listen to it as loud (SPLwise) as some of my Rock titles.....I listened to them both at -12 on the MV which gave me about 82 dB averages with peaks that barely reached 90 dB but it sounded as loud as my rock but probably a good 5 dB lower on actual volume--huh.

.... Smithwicks is excellent Ale BTW!

Bad news---The shrink ray got ahold of Smithwick's! They have new packaging which is no where near as attractive and went from 12 oz to 11.2 oz a bottle. :emotion-45: I think they should start calling it Smithwick's light. :emotion-22:;)

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

...Many of my DVDs sound perfect at -10db on my Pioneer Elite flagship receiver and Klipsch RF7 reference system. However, at that same level, many of my CDs sounds wimpy, and some of my Blu-Rays are way too loud. And this issue exists on both movies and concerts. The industry attempts to standardize everything else, so why not the reference volume level, too?

Relative to the original question of this thread, although I do not constantly monitor my room's volume in C-weighted db levels, I have on occasion, taken measurements and I can tell you that while watching the "Behind Enemy Lines" movie DVD at a -10 db volume setting, the room levels hit a peak during the fighter plane/missile chase scene of 121 db at 10 feet from the front array. The peak was mostly low end from my RSW15 reference sub. The rest of the sound and dialog was much lower and closer to 98-100 db. The cannon on "Master And Commander" during the "Attack" sequence are equally impressive! -Glenn

Hey Picky--Thanks for posting. Wow! 121 dB is quite some BOOM! I used to run my subs hot prior to getting Audyssey and may go back and bump up the trim on my subs in the next go-round of experimenting...Actually, I think I am going to disconnect my Heights and see if I miss them over the next few weeks. I've been running a 9,2 Home Theater since I've gotten the new AVR but still feel with the material I listen to the Rear channels would be missed more than the Heights, but we will see.

And couldn't listen to the live symphony orchestra (from fairly close seats) PWK cites. Actually, so much goes into our measuring of SPL, that it's hard to say (see my earlier post). As you probably know, PWK recorded symphony orchestras many times, and I'll bet he had a SPL meter with him, along with his multiple wrist watches.

If I remember correctly he also liked marching bands, now that would be strange to listen to. It would sound cool if the band were walking by like in a parade where you heard each section get louder as it gets closer to you then fade off in the other direction.

In the original 70 mm Todd-AO 6 channel stereo version of Around the World in 80 Days (1956) there was a shot just like that, right near the beginning, intended to show off the magnificent multichannel Todd-AO sound. The Queen's band was at the extreme right of the wide screen, in the distance, at the beginning of the shot. It marched toward the camera on that right side, then marched across the wide image, past actors in 1872 costumes, and then off the screen to the left. As the instruments crossed in front of the audience, one could follow the sound of trumpets, trombones, and bass drum from extreme right to extreme left, and then up the left side of the theater as the shot ended. In those days, Todd-AO had 5 big custom designed JBL horns ( 4 - 15" JBL woofers in each front loaded horn, with bass reflex supplementation, for each of the 5 discrete behind the screen channels; I'm confident that the sound was as loud as a live marching band), and just one surround channel (#6) that could be assigned to the right side, left side, or all surround. In road show theaters that were automated, that 6th channel also carried a low piched tone -- below the cutoff of the surround speakers and electronics -- that, depending on its pitch, could order the surround to go right, left, or all. Some people say that the tone signal (mis-named the control track) could also turn the sound up or down, to make up for the limited dynamics of even a 6 track magnetic track, and I believe it. The people who transfered the film to DVD (no Blu-ray, yet) failed to use the 6th track, so the sound of the instruments, the bass drum being especially noticeable, just dissapeared as the players reached the far left side. Too bad.

Edited by Garyrc

I like rea channels when I was running tower for the rear. Lot of bass for for added action.

For the record, right now I am running both Heights and Rears and prefer playing everything in DD PLZ. It sounds great, but sounded great when I just had a 7.2 HT. When I added the heights it sounded like it was slightly better than not having them but want to go back and see if with RF-7s/RC-7 alone up front it sounds any--cleaner, or if I will miss the Height speakers. Don't get me wrong. I love the way it sounds but remember that it wasn't a "night and day" difference when I first installed them.

Edited by tkdamerica

The FH change the presentation of the front stage with music. It is a less in your face presentation. It also achors the center which is OK, not necessarily better than stereo imaging, just slightly different. With movies, it noticeably extends the front stage in a vertical plane. It seem like I enjoy movies just as much not running rears now. I guess there is plenty of surround effect to go around, lol. :)

Edited by derrickdj1

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to U2 Rattle & Hum at Reference, Plus 1 now...

Wow! That is the first DVD I ever bought and will see how loud I can get it on my HT tonight...Btw, I saw that the Blu-ray was only Dolby Digital 5.1 so I didn't "upgrade" because I thought the sound would be the same--Is it or were you watching/listening to the DVD?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...