Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

• Moderators
I hope that I will have enough money for my retirement here... These are just too much fun.

My wife says my speakers are my retirement. If we get into a bind, I'll start selling some gear.

I do understand in a living or more of a family room aesthetics have to be considered but in a dedicated HT room where they possibly can't even be seen, style doesn't count.

Correct and having a false wall means speakers can even be ugly and it won't matter. Haha

I gotta make it down there soon

Michael, you know you have an open invitation.

And I would bet Mrs.Youth just wants YOU happy with whatever you do in that room.

Mrs. Youth is what makes me happy, the speakers are just a bonus. ;) Can someone please show that comment to my wife cause she won't ever stop by here on her own. :lol:

I see a recap in your future to bring them back into spec. Well, not your future, but someone else who you know that can help out.

If I do decide to recap them, I'll have DeanG work on them. He did a fantastic job on my RF-7ii's (still need to sit down and do some more listening to them and jot down my thoughts). If Dean can make an almost brand new crossover sound better, I believe he could do wonders on a 34 year old crossover. :D

• Moderators
Man, this thread got long fast! Took awhile just to read through the posts from today.

Well you did say your heading toward 40, go have a seat old timer and take a break. :P

Think about this, how old were you when YOUR LaScalas were jamming for someone brand new, and they can still do great and haven't been changed at all, pretty good engineering I would say !

Break all those hours down over there life (guess) and divide by the price new and it's an unbelievable deal per hour. :emotion-55: and there still going strong.

Edited by dtel

Its all fully horn loaded speakers from here on in Youthman...

So far, the horn loaded woofer in the LaScala hasn't impressed me that much, even when I crank them up a bit. :P

It's a 70hz horn. On its best day, and shoved deep into a corner, she might give you an inch below 50Hz. If you take the midrange down just a little, you get a very well balanced sound with roughly half the distortion of any of your Reference boxes.

I smiled as I read your PM. You might want to check out Aletheia Audio's tag line.

Edited by DeanG

Its all fully horn loaded speakers from here on in Youthman...

So far, the horn loaded woofer in the LaScala hasn't impressed me that much, even when I crank them up a bit. :P

It's a 70hz horn. On its best day, and shoved deep into a corner, she might give you an inch below 50Hz. If you take the midrange down just a little, you get a very well balanced sound with roughly half the distortion of any of your Reference boxes.

I smiled as I read your PM. You might want to check out Aletheia Audio's tag line.

70hz! :o That would explain why youth is unimpressed with the bass I would guess. Considering subs were not in every system back in the day that would be hard to live with for my tastes. I'm I missing something?

Edited by reference_head

Pretty nice endorsement of DeanG's WORK!!!

Youthman, on 18 Apr 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

Rhetor, on 18 Apr 2014 - 5:17 PM, said:snapback.png

I see a recap in your future to bring them back into spec. Well, not your future, but someone else who you know that can help out.

If I do decide to recap them, I'll have DeanG work on them. He did a fantastic job on my RF-7ii's (still need to sit down and do some more listening to them and jot down my thoughts). If Dean can make an almost brand new crossover sound better, I believe he could do wonders on a 34 year old crossover. :D

• Like 2

• Moderators

I just visited your website to read your tagline. That's awesome Dean! "Because sometimes it's what you don't Hear" Maybe my hearing isn't as bad as I've always claimed it to be. I know I'm not an audiophile by any means, very much a casual listener but it's cool to know that my ears are hearing exactly what your crossovers are designed to do. I'm definitely enjoying the RF-7ii's with the upgraded crossovers. Thx again for the great work.

Youth....I remember back when you started your room......very nice. Your pics are always nice also; bet Colter would approve.

Thanks Arky. I really miss having Michael around. He is a great guy with a LOT to contribute to this forum.

Dean, if they are a 70Hz horn, I wonder why Klipsch states they are 53Hz-17kHz(+-) 4dB? 53Hz to 70Hz is a big gap. Just curious where you got the 70Hz figure from. If that is the case, indeed that's why the bass isn't very impressive to my ears. I've never not had a sub other than in my living room but the RF-7ii's have plenty of bass in that room, especially with hardwood floors.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Pretty nice endorsement of DeanG's WORK!!!

Before we began talking about doing my crossovers, I had never really spoken to Dean. During that process, we have since spoken on the phone, facetime as well as many emails and texts back and forth. To me, my appreciation for Deangoes beyond his skills. From the first time I spoke with him on the phone, I felt Dean really knows what he's talking about. A lot of it was over my head but he was willing to share knowledge that he had in order to help educate me. I have a heart of a teacher so that impresses me when I meet others that have the same passion....to share the knowledge and experience with others around them. Dean runs a business but I get the impression that he actually cares about his customers and his desire is to help their speakers to reach their full potential through his crossover upgrades.

• Like 1