If you had a CHOICE ?

Not to hijack the thread... but I have an update to the SE-84 comming down the pipe... (All parts ordered... ) Wen done in 3 weeks I will send to you for a tire kicking session. I think youll approve. The dedieacted phones has been making me bonkers a bit... the grounding scheme is even more important. I hope to have fully debuged by June.

Not a hijack at all Justin, I will of course be very interested in the upgraded se84. This offer may just be the scratch my itch needs :P

Now I am just that much closer to saving the extra bones and going with MUSIC :D

Have I mentioned your AWESOME :emotion-21:

I am on the fence about something. It is my belief that most upgrades come from familiarity, IE... I am very used to the sound of my setup and so become a tad bored at times and begin to think how can i Improve my sound (of course just a few months ago when current setup was new it sounded awesome and I was super happy)

I have not quite figured out how to get passed that and just be content with what I hear :angry:

Heres my question

If you could buy a new speaker that allowed you to keep current setup and add the new speakers so you could change back and forth when the urge for something different hit you

or you could buy some Hi Res albums to add to your collection.

which would you do ??

I haven't owned my K's for very long, but I still get the urge to break out the table saw and buy a set of Jamboree plans. Then the next day I'm surfing around and say, "I don't need new speaks, I need a amp to compliment my setup." The next day, its, I don't need any of that stuff, I really need a few room treatment panels. By Friday, I sit down, put on something good and realize just how good my system sounds to my ears and say to myself, "I actually need nothing.....except another glass of Bourbon"

Perhaps I need to start drinking :D

Oh it does wonders for my ears AND my guitar playing :)

I do however end up at the same crossroads with the liquor

I want this

Pappy_Van_Winkle.JPG

But all I need is this

Dec12-KnobCreek9-1.jpg

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

My question is basically if you had a choice would you try new speakers or buy new music which happens to be hi res ?? this has nothing to do with fixing anything

OK, the "fix crap" part maybe is valid, but to simply answer your question; I have K'horns, inherently unimproveable in my price range and with current technology. I am acquiring more music all the time, and nothing I've heard yet is too good muh' Klipsch!

Regards,

Dave

Joe, are you thinking about another set of headphones, or a pair of loudspeakers?

Hey dean, I am contemplating the Hifi Man HE-500 magnetic planers, Theres tons of talk about how good the planers are. But being basically really happy with the Senn's It's hard for me to justify,

Which headphones do you listen to ??

My question is basically if you had a choice would you try new speakers or buy new music which happens to be hi res ?? this has nothing to do with fixing anything

OK, the "fix crap" part maybe is valid, but to simply answer your question; I have K'horns, inherently unimproveable in my price range and with current technology. I am acquiring more music all the time, and nothing I've heard yet is too good muh' Klipsch!

Regards,

Dave

Dave I get that, you are content, I know others that have been able to fight off the upgrade bug. I know in every hobby I get involved in my personality is such that I am never satisfied till I feel like I have the best, a problem for me is I allow outside influences into my thoughts and I begin to wonder if this or that may be better

I am leaning heavily to waiting on Justins demo amp, and just going with a few new high res albums

I have 4 systems up and running currently and am working on a fifth. The largest improvement I've made to each and every one is from a better source. Once you get to a point where your gear is "pretty good" the source makes the biggest difference IMHO.

• Moderators

Joe, are you thinking about another set of headphones, or a pair of loudspeakers?

That's what I was wondering, why do you not have speakers ?

I know headphones can sound great, but there is something different about having the room involved, and I don't mean in a bad way.

Could this be what your missing, speakers filing a room instead of headphones filling your ears ?

That's what I was wondering, why do you not have speakers ?

I know headphones can sound great, but there is something different about having the room involved, and I don't mean in a bad way.

Could this be what your missing, speakers filing a room instead of headphones filling your ears ?

absolutely no space at the moment, and I mean that literally, you would be amazed where you can live and what you must do without when you have to.

Joe,

Since I started using music streaming services, I have no desire to buy music anymore. So I guess my answer would be speakers. Which I did this spring with the Oris Horns.

There are over 2 MIllion tracks on Spotify. I sit down usually every afternoon and listen to a Mix of tunes picked by Spotify. I get exposed to new music this way and stuff that I would not otherwise listen to. While I almost never buy music anymore, I attend a lot more small venue Concerts such as the Dakota Jazz Club in Minneapolis.

My next speakers are the Oris Swing. I may 'reward' myself when I hit 70 down the road.

Edited by Cut-Throat

I am leaning heavily to waiting on Justins demo amp, and just going with a few new high res albums

I can relate to that. In my case, I am not an equipment head and don't get to jonesin' unless I here something I clearly identify as equipment coming through. With what I have at the moment I am hearing only the source material at a quality level I cannot imagine an improvement on that would be meaningful.

However, I LOVE to get some "new" stuff in the upstream end. I am having so much pleasure in the little Jolida FX-10 recently acquired. Cheap THRILLS! Even Spotify, YouTube, and such comes out sounding smooth and listenable, and high res stuff shines.

Need vs. "Me WANTS the precious" is an issue for the audiophile with limited resources. It was nearly 30 years before I got Klipschorns and it's only been with the addition of the Ortofon 2M Black to my turntable that I feel "done" with that end of things.

Dave

For a time I was buying so much music so fast that I didn't have time to listen to it all. I had to keep a list of what was on order and what I had received to be sure it all got here. It was like my birthday when I'd find something that I had forgotten about and never got out of the shrink wrap or ripped to FLAC but forgot to ever play.

The streaming services are nice to find out if I like something but I like to have that CD or vinyl in my possession. I have spent a ton at HDTracks but these days I like to check out the DR database first. Some of the HDtrack versions have less dynamic range than some other releases. Most of the time I have been extremely pleased with the HDtrack versions.

For a time I was buying so much music so fast that I didn't have time to listen to it all. I had to keep a list of what was on order and what I had received to be sure it all got here. It was like my birthday when I'd find something that I had forgotten about and never got out of the shrink wrap or ripped to FLAC but forgot to ever play.

The streaming services are nice to find out if I like something but I like to have that CD or vinyl in my possession. I have spent a ton at HDTracks but these days I like to check out the DR database first. Some of the HDtrack versions have less dynamic range than some other releases. Most of the time I have been extremely pleased with the HDtrack versions.

I just downloaded 5 albums, including a new Bruce Springsteen release. I received a coupon code for 10 percent off that wont seem to work. now I am in a discussion with Gregg to remedy that and hopefully get the 5.00 credit I should have received. (his response will dictate if I deal with them further)

I have another 200.00 worth of music saved to wishlist. Guess I will see

Surely you can find room for this little setup Joe. Headphones cant be good for your ears all the time. I have this hooked to a TV in my bar and it has $400-500 dollar sound just for a mere $100 bucks.

61Te1WisYNL._SL1500_.jpg

I have bookshelf speakers set up, problem with all mini systems is simple, when I hear a song that just must be turned up beyond 85db or so a mini speaker will distort (at least all I have heard / owned) now with headphones I am forced to keep the volume at a reasonable level,

I also have a hearing problem in my left ear, If I hear a certain freq a little to loud my ear sort of breaks up like a speaker with a bad cone IE... bad static. With headphones believe it or not this is less a problem

now in a large room with speakers set up, I still get the left ear thing happening but not at the same db / loudness. IE... I am fine at 85 to 90 db much above that and it starts to break up

• Moderators
absolutely no space at the moment, and I mean that literally, you would be amazed where you can live and what you must do without when you have to.

Just was wondering, and your right, as long as your good it's all that matters. :emotion-21: