Anybody here buy their eyeglasses online?

JL Sargent

Thinking about giving this a try. Prices are much better than the eyeglass place in our small town. Just wondering if anybody else here has done it?

Found these guys. eyebuydirect.com Might get a pair from them to see.

TheEvan, in my case I have the sizes of frames that I already wear. I fell confident I can go with those measurements and get the right size. Usually arm length (for example) is printed on the inside of one of the arms.

Thinking about giving this a try. Prices are much better than the eyeglass place in our small town. Just wondering if anybody else here has done it?

Found these guys. eyebuydirect.com Might get a pair from them to see.

What kind of prescription do you have, and are you talking about single vision lenses (i.e. just for distance or reading), or bifocals/progressives? Looking at the way these guys tell you to do self measuring, it's unlikely you're going to get something usable if your prescription is on the stronger side, or if you choose bifocals/progressives. A better approach is to go into a Lenscrafters, Pearle Vision, etc., pick out a frame that you like from a name brand and search for it online. You can then take it to any optical place and have the lenses done after having proper measurements taken. Or follow the suggestion to try Walmart, or one of the wholesale clubs if you belong to one. Eyeglass prices can vary hugely, with markups in some locations being 300% plus some dollar amount! There's also the issue of optical quality of the lenses which can vary quite a bit from one lens manufacturer to another. While glasses purchased from a private optician can be more costly, it's often worth it if the person will stand behind the product with lifetime adjustments and repairs at no charge. Considering that many adults keep the same frames for 5 years or more, the cost isn't that terrible when amortized over that time period. And, if you have them on your face all day every day, it's a good return on investment.

Maynard

• Like 1

Good points and questions: Yes I have bought from Waltmart and Sams Club in the past and they were ok.

My prescription is not strong but I do wear progressive lenses.

I won't be doing any self measuring (although I'm quite capable of measuring I believe)

I have an eye doctor appointment today so will have a new prescription.

Maynard, when I've gotten glasses in the past the only measurement I remember them taking is the pupillary distance. That was performed with a small metric ruler. Should there be more measurements taken when getting progressive lenses?

I saw this on the site:

For bifocal and progressive lenses, two PD values are needed. In these cases, EyeBuyDirect recommends getting your PD directly from your eye care professional.

So I need to be sure and get those PD values today.

Edited by JL Sargent

Good points and questions: Yes I have bought from Waltmart and Sams Club in the past and they were ok.

My prescription is not strong but I do wear progressive lenses.

I won't be doing any self measuring (although I'm quite capable of measuring I believe)

I have an eye doctor appointment today so will have a new prescription.

Maynard, when I've gotten glasses in the past the only measurement I remember them taking is the pupillary distance. That was performed with a small metric ruler. Should there be more measurements taken when getting progressive lenses?

I saw this on the site:

For bifocal and progressive lenses, two PD values are needed. In these cases, EyeBuyDirect recommends getting your PD directly from your eye care professional.

So I need to be sure and get those PD values today.

The only way to properly measure for progressives is to have your pupillary distance measured with a device called a pupillometer which allows an exact monocular distance to be measured (i.e. from the center of the bridge of your nose to the center of each pupil- due to normal facial asymmetry, these numbers are almost always different). In addition, it's impossible to measure the point at which the reading corridor of the progressive needs to begin without having the actual frame you are going to use sitting on your face in the exact position at which you will wear it. If the frame is placed higher or lower than where you will use it, there are likely to be problems. In fact, many of the progressive lens failures stem from improper measurement, and not from the lenses themselves (assuming, of course, that the prescription was properly filled). Even with weaker prescriptions, a variation of as little as 1 mm can totally ruin the way the lens is going to work. With that in mind, I'd get them at Walmart or Sams and not waste your time trying to get this done correctly online. Hope this helps you out somewhat!

Maynard

guess I should have mentioned, when I bought mine the Dr. that did the measurements had the exact frame I was getting and used that to measure with

when you get the exam you could check for the frame of choice online and see if the Dr. office has it

Here is what I did:

Went to SamsClub and got prescription (progressive polycarbonate lenses ordered at all three places) and ordered a pair for work. Approx $250.00, but I paid $118 w/ Insurance

Went to Walmart and ordered a pair for casual w/ Fatheadz brand frames Cost was $269.00 w/tax

Went online and ordered a pair of sunglasses w/ Fatheadz brand frames. ($50.00 cheaper than Walmart) $219.00

As you can see, glasses are expensive even if you go to the discount places.

I'll report back on how these three compare. If they all get the prescription right, etc.

Went to Walmart and ordered a pair for casual w/ Fatheadz brand frames Cost was $269.00 w/tax

You got all the bells and whistles then. Glasses can be had for much less there depending on how much you can live without. Name brand frames, scratch resistant glass, photo sensitive coatings and no line bi-focals bump the price considerably.

I tried this several years ago. They came in the mail, exactly as ordered. But before I tried them on for the 1st time they needed cleaning. During that procedure one of the nose support bars broke off of the frame, 100% separation. They did not survive a single cleaning and I've owned spectacles for along time - these were not abused - they were cheap. So, I go online to return them, for a full refund. No problem the guy says and links me to the form. Their on-line form was lengthy and it had lettering that was extremely small - to the point of being tedious. I persevered and did get a full refund, but they made that a difficult process. In my estimation the gains are not worth the risks. Eyeglasses for people with real vision needs will likely require some sort of professional tweaking. Can't do that remotely.

"(progressive polycarbonate lenses ordered at all three places)"

To be clear I wear progressive lenses. Those are the lenses I need to see from near to far. I ordered the same thing at all three places. No way around that I'm affraid.

Now I did find one place online that would sell me a pair for about $80.00 but the reviews were bad so I stayed clear. A person could easily spend $600.00 on a pair of single vision glasses. It's all out there.

i wish you all the best on finding glasses. luckily i have the same pair i got when i was 11. now over 25yers later they work fine. my ex and kids took me to get new ones it was about $50 test and out the door to get what was the current fashion.

i tossed them i like my 25+ year old lenses. they work the same as the day i bought them. good luck to you all in your eyeglass venture...

It only takes 1 pair ya know? i use mine for driving mostly in the rain and at night...they are in the car, the 1 car i normally drive, or move them to the truck lol

You only need 1 pair? heck i used mine for sheilds at work even...lasted this long...still good as new...good luck to all!!