New Turntable or Cart upgrade?

USNRET

I'm looking out to you TT guys. I have a Pro-Ject RM-5SE and Speed Box with stock Sumkio Bluepoint 2 cart and would like to investigate an "upgrade". I am using a Juicy Music Tercel II with MM/HOMC only. Question; with a budget of $1500 (assuming I can sell my TT for $500, which is what is offered as trade in allowance), should I just buy a new cartridge or another turntable?

Edited by USNRET

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple.

If you are hearing issues from your turntable, replace it.

If you are hearing issues from your cartridge, replace it.

If you are hearing issues with the Tercel, your ears are way better than mine so I can't help with that.

Dave

For me... if I were serious about my vinyl, and I am, I would get a new table and cart.

You are in a pretty good spot with 1500 in your pocket as long as you are buying on the secondary market.

Edited by Schu

I'd be looking at a Technics SL-1200 Mk5 and an Ortofon 2M Black.

That said, I'm pretty happy with the M97xE cartridge on my SL-1210M5G. New styli are only about $50, not several hundred, like they are with the Ortofon, so I can pop in a fresh one every five years without a second thought.

I can honestly say that every time I upgraded my turntable to a more expensive unit, I heard sonic improvements. Same with cartridges. I think the Ortofon 2M Black is the best MM cart out there. I don't know which turntables are the best, but I love both of my Oracle TT's.

Marantz had a TT and cartridge sold together a couple of years back. The cart was a Clear Audio Virtuoso Wood that retails for around $800 and you basically got the table for about $500 more. You should be able to pick that combo up on the used market for $8-900. I use that MM cart on a Denon DP-1250 and it sounds great.

Just googled it and Music Direct has it new for$1499. Marantz TT-15 designed by Marantz and built by Clear Audio. Darn good deal.

Edited by Tarheel

I owned the TT15 and sold it , I then bought the Classic 2 it was a huge step up but came with a price . I also heard the Rega with the 2M black I think it sounded way better than the TT-15 Combo . Personal opinion of curse

USNRET I can make you a great deal on a classic 2 with tinted cover and a Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II

Edited by A1UC

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Turntables/Nottingham/Interspace/109457

best 2 deals on used tables I have seen in your budget or close to your budget, I actually owned one of these for awhile, platter is massive, and the bearing tolerances are / were unbelievable

On mine The platter weighed 50 pounds and when i put the oil in the res. with the 50 pound platter on, It took about 1 hour for the bearing to settle down

All three components of an LP player can make a difference -- cartridge, tone arm and turntable. In approximately that order IMHO, but YMMV.

A clamp can hold down wow from warped records, sound better in general.

http://1.hidemyass.com/ip-7/encoded/Oi8vd3d3LmF1ZGlvY2lyY2xlLmNvbS9pbmRleC5waHA_dG9waWM9MTI0MzU1Lm1zZzEzMTA1Nw%3D%3D

This is a awesome deal , I purchased 3 items from this seller already with new problems . If this table is still here next week I will own it .

put a 2M Black on it and call it done

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/funk-firm-little-super-deck-turntable/

Edited by A1UC

I owned the TT15 and sold it , I then bought the Classic 2 it was a huge step up but came with a price . I also heard the Rega with the 2M black I think it sounded way better than the TT-15 Combo . Personal opinion of curse

USNRET I can make you a great deal on a classic 2 with tinted cover and a Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II

Speak to me

Ortofon 2m black with DIYtube SUT. MC step transformer and the Ortofon should be magic... ~$1000 for both... sell your current cart.

I thought the 2 Black was MM rated at 5 mV

Well USNRET, I concur with Larry on this one. I will say I have gotten away from the gimbal swinging weight arms, not for me. Neither my Well-Tempered Amadeus nor my Rega RP-1 have them, I think the RB arms are probably the best bang for the buck in arms but they are not an SME arm either :o Not sure what kind of deal A1UC is offering you on the classic as it is a very nice table but if not in your $1500.00 range I think I would buy myself the recently price reduced Rega RP-40, sell the Exact cartridge that comes on it in favor of a 2M Black, put a groove tracer sub-platter on it and see what you think. That table comes with the upgraded belt, PSU and the venerable RB-303 arm which being an anniversay edition will hiold it's value (especially after the production run has sold out) in case you end up not liking it. I have a good buddy here who bought one when they first came out and he upgraded from an RP-1 that had the groove tracer on it which he put on his new RP-40 and it is far superior other tables in this range IMHO. I have another buddy in Atlanta with the TT-15 and it's a very nice table (granted as A1UC it is not as good as the classic and why you should see what he's asking for his, I also just got an email that Music Direct has a Demo TT-15 for $1,150.00 if they still have it). Then my ex bosses son bought a Concept which is a TT-15 with different plinth!

All kinds of choices just make good financial decisions so if you decide to change you get the best return on your investments.

All three components of an LP player can make a difference -- cartridge, tone arm and turntable. In approximately that order IMHO, but YMMV.

A clamp can hold down wow from warped records, sound better in general.

+ 1

thats the order I would put things in as well, along with cartridge comes meticulous set up, A tiny fraction off on cart set up can make worlds of difference in SQ

USNRET I forgot for a minute you had a budget of around 1500.00 , my Classic setup would be more that double your budget . Sorry I blurted that out .

I had the TT15 and to be honest best bang for the buck is the Rega the motor on the TT15 is a pain in the a$$ The Classic 2 was 4k without a cart , the cart was 1200 and the cover was around 350.00 I also got a Audioquest Lepoard Cable on it so Its around 6k and even if I dropped it 1000 it would still be way up there . Mines about 3 months old

Edited by A1UC

+1 for sure on the cart setup and leveling the table its not a quick job took me many hours to get it dialed in , the rega exact cart just uses 3 screws to mount so its very basic all you need to do is the tracking force very simple setup - if you go to a black it will more work to get it setup . I can get you a good deal on the Rega new if your serious

This seller said he would call for a VPI box Monday and consider shipping nice table good price but again more

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VPI-TNT-Turntable-w-VPI-JMW-12-Arm-w-Dynavector-10x4-MkII-Cartridge-/171321259798?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item27e38af716

Edited by A1UC