K510 with and without 'mumps'

Coytee

So do you think they will be adding mumps to the K402.

The mumps were added to the K-510 in order to control the dispersion down to a lower frequency. The K-402 does a good job controlling the dispersion because the beast is big. I am guessing the mumps would not be required.

Money?

Foam tape can work wonders in horns, and is removable too.

Very interesting, DJK and Mr. Seti.

That "mumps" concept I had not heard before, but it makes common sense to me. Those are the kind of mods I like to try, thanks.

+++

This is my CF-4 horn with 63 CD, beside a 12" wide SEOS horn. The SEOS has the inside edges rounded, and molded in.

post-58280-0-76200000-1402691708_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

I believe they are also there to stop some of the internal diffraction / reflections from propagating out the horn. Opposed sides and sharp corners are not good. I believe that is one of the reasons that there was a lot of discussion on 30ppi reticulated foam in "Wave Guides".

Has anyone gone down this path other than maybe djk from the sounds of it? I line the bottom side of my KLF-30's horn with 1/4" open cell foam and it appears to clean things up that I attributed to either the crossover point or tweeter. It was odd but works very well.

• Like 1

I believe they are also there to stop some of the internal diffraction / reflections from propagating out the horn. Opposed sides and sharp corners are not good. I believe that is one of the reasons that there was a lot of discussion on 30ppi reticulated foam in "Wave Guides".

Has anyone gone down this path other than maybe djk from the sounds of it? I line the bottom side of my KLF-30's horn with 1/4" open cell foam and it appears to clean things up that I attributed to either the crossover point or tweeter. It was odd but works very well.

I put the foam on the inside of the woofer spokes on my klf 30's, Mucho bettero. See my post in the RF-7 Mods thread. ;) And just so I'm not thread jacking I think it has to do with two wavefronts meeting at the sharp corner intersection forcing each other to speed up beyond the speed of sound. And that's the annoying sound that most horns produce, except those that don't have sharp corners.

Edited by cradeldorf