Dobly Atmos

Schu

I have been reading about Atmos over on AVS. I am really wanting a new pioneer elite receiver, but the Atmos has me waiting. I have heard one of the Onkyo receivers is already out with Atimos but they ditched Audyssey..

• Like 1

According to JD over on AVS, one of the supported 7.2.2 Atmos configurations has "top fronts" as an acceptable configuration. If so, I hope bookshelf speakers (and not strictly in-ceiling speakers) are acceptable for Atmos because then I could use the pair of RB-81IIs I just ordered to support Atmos/DSX/DTS Neo:X/DPLIIz all in one swoop. I'm not against installing additional ceiling speakers just for Atmos, but it's unclear how the Denon receivers will handle two different 7.2.2 speaker configurations. In my case, this would be a traditional 7.2 layout plus two front height bookshelves for DSX/DTS Neo:X/DPLIIz, and the same 7.2 layout plus two in-ceiling speakers for Atmos. Would it be a simple matter to switch between the two different speaker configurations based on source material? That's unclear at this point.

I'm a little disappointed in the home Atmos implementation because the home processors aren't measuring the precise locations of the speakers in the room. Because of this, the receiver is simply assuming the locations of the connected speakers, which implies that Atmos will image no better than the existing channel-based formats. In fact, it's already been stated over on AVS that Atmos will provide no benefit to legacy 5.x or 7.x configurations, so the only thing it's really bringing to the table is discrete height channels.

• Like 1

I am voting "no" to Atmos with my wallet. I am VERY happy with my 5.1 setup, and there is still plenty of room for growth should I want to go bigger, better louder. I think the manufacturers are PUSHING new hardware on us because THEY need the money.

That, from the guy who lost his shirt in the 80's buying Beta Max cameras, recorders, and tapes, and followed that debacle up with a $700 VCR with Zenith's new proprietary STEREO format that NO ONE ever supported. I don't think I ever heard one note in stereo from that piece of junk.

Uhh, what were we talking about? :rolleyes:

/rant

• Like 5

using kg3 for Height with PLIIz & A-DSX; think I'll split that signal & create my own Rear Heights & let them keep the change...

You know the height channels for Atmos are pinpoint dispersion and to be pointed at the ceiling and reflect, unless you have in ceiling speakers. Not sure how to deal with that one unless I make a new speaker out of Heresy parts... Which still leave the problem of pinpoint dispersion. :(

• Like 2

I am voting "no" to Atmos with my wallet. I am VERY happy with my 5.1 setup, and there is still plenty of room for growth should I want to go bigger, better louder. I think the manufacturers are PUSHING new hardware on us because THEY need the money.

That, from the guy who lost his shirt in the 80's buying Beta Max cameras, recorders, and tapes, and followed that debacle up with a $700 VCR with Zenith's new proprietary STEREO format that NO ONE ever supported. I don't think I ever heard one note in stereo from that piece of junk.

Uhh, what were we talking about? :rolleyes:

/rant

I'm happy with Audyssey, 5.1, and the incredible dynamic range available from ordinary Blu-ray through Heritage.

• Like 1

+2 to Gary and wvu80. :emotion-21:

My Atmos experience at the cinema during Gravity was mediocre at best. Certainly not worth the leg work involved in seeking out an equipped theater IMO. I'll skip this round.

The natural progression of the Atmos technology is the phased array and that's definitely not my cup of tea. It's difficult enough to maintain and troubleshoot a well implemented 5.1 system in the home, much less anything more complicated.

Atmos money/tech would be better spent on jamming the conversations of the idiots in front of me while I'm trying to enjoy the movie.

• Like 1