Dobly Atmos

Schu

With all of the major AVR companies now offering Dolby Atmos does anyone think Klipsch won't come out with Atmos speakers? Of course the basic 5.1 or 7.1 would remain the same but will they offer on-ceiling speakers (or retrofit some of the bookshelf and RS models) and how about those up-firing speakers that other companies are coming out with?

Unfortunately, unless traditional heights (ala PLIIz) can be used with directly overhead/slightly behind our MLP I don't think our small HT will support this format but wonder how many folks out there could. Our situation is that our 2,000 cu ft HT sits between a larger area in front with high A-Frame (irregular shaped) ceiling with a smaller area with a low ceiling behind.

• Like 1

I would think FH would deliver the information if hooked up to an Atmos avr on the atmos channels.  It would impart some directionality but, that should not be a big factor if someone did not want to install ceiling speaker or purchase them.

Yeah--I got some hope when I posed the question over at AVS in that regard, as long as I have the correct angle, which I think I do. I may also be able to position some on-ceiling speakers slightly behind our LP for not only left and right panning but also front to back...That said, it won't be happening anytime soon because it would be hard to justify to the wife and as of now we are happy with the current setup. I purchased the Denon AVR-4311ci for a good price when it was discontinued and still have 2 years of warranty left. ;)

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Both Pioneer and Onkyo unveiled there Dolby Atmos home reveivers...

your thoughts on these?

Well now Yamaha, Denon and Marantz have joined in with Dolby Atmos in their AVRs, along with several speaker companies...That said, do we have any early adaptors and how is it working out for you? I realize that there aren't too many titles as of yet, but one of the things I found interesting are the good reviews that DSU gets converting 5.1 material. Anyone?

Also, I'm still curious if Klipsch is going to offer Atmos speakers other than the current in-ceiling?

Edited by tkdamerica

My side and rear speakers are already mounted on the ceiling (no room because of windows) so do I have a Psuedo Atmos system or is the sound from the side and rear just ambidextrous Atmos or 7/4/1?

JJK

If you don't have a Dolby Atmos enabled AVR then it's not an Atmos setup...It seems you have a really nice 7.1 Multichannel traditional setup unless I missed the afore mentioned part. :)

ATMOS is, in theory, an excellent concept. 

The realization of this promise will not be about the hardware, but the engineering of the software...as with all audio.  GIGO

Dave

Over on AVS it seems everyone is impressed with the DSU matrixing of the 5.1/7.1 legacy material for movies...Right now I use Dolby PLIIz in a "9.2" configuration using Heights and love it for Multichannel Music (better than just the 7.1 PLx matrixing which delivers too much to the side surrounds). Honestly, we haven't seen too many movies where I can say using Heights has been a tremendous benefit, with the last two being Frozen and Lincoln.  We did watch several other Blu rays that we had seen on DVD but admit I didn't do any critical listening as to compare---Too caught up in the movie and they sounded excellent in our Library Home Theater listed below. B)

For the record, I do A/B tests with multichannel music but not recently with movies.

Edited by tkdamerica

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to keep reviving this old thread but given what I've been reading over at AVS there are quite a few early adapters to Dolby Atmos and wonder if it would be advantageous for Klipsch to update their Home Theater speaker section to include some of their existing Architectural, Bookshelf and WDST speakers which seem like they could accommodate this new format?  

I gather they can't use the word "Atmos" in their description but can't Klipsch use the oft published Dolby Atmos Speaker layout?

{EDIT: There are Klipschsters posting over there that are using all of the speakers mentioned above and then some that I didn't list. Here is a link to a spreadsheet that someone started showing what folks are using: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_cefn4mLxGO98urdcL7f4j4y238vdsFMgCJt0WxH2Mo/edit?pli=1#gid=0  and here is a link to the actual Dolby Atmos for Home Theater Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1574386-official-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version-481.html}

Edited by tkdamerica

We have done Atmos testing at Klipsch, and the results are quite impressive. I have seen as an option "front height" listed in 2 Onkyo models. I would gather this means you can keep your "PLIIz" height channel speakers where they are. From my experience this would likely be the least desired option as the direct axis information could give away their location. I have not experimented with those locations, so I wouldn't rule it out. I can say both IC, and upfiring options do indeed work.

• Like 2

We have done Atmos testing at Klipsch, and the results are quite impressive. I have seen as an option "front height" listed in 2 Onkyo models. I would gather this means you can keep your "PLIIz" height channel speakers where they are. From my experience this would likely be the least desired option as the direct axis information could give away their location. I have not experimented with those locations, so I wouldn't rule it out. I can say both IC, and upfiring options do indeed work.

Well, the question is if Klipsch is going to come out with an upfiring option? That said, I won't be able to use it because of our A-Frame ceiling but it appears several/most other folks could if they chose to go that route.

Well, the question is if Klipsch is going to come out with an upfiring option? That said, I won't be able to use it because of our A-Frame ceiling but it appears several/most other folks could if they chose to go that route.

I also have a vaulted ceiling at home. I have been told that Atmos will work with many types of high ceilings. I think with some tweaking you could "reverse vault" the installation of an upfiring speaker. I will be trying this at home in the future, I have to have an Atmos setup after hearing it for myself. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a vaulted ceiling at home. I have been told that Atmos will work with many types of high ceilings. I think with some tweaking you could "reverse vault" the installation of an upfiring speaker. I will be trying this at home in the future, I have to have an Atmos setup after hearing it for myself. 

I remember watching an interview with Tomlinson Holman of Advent, Lucasfilm, and THX fame (also Audyssey), and father of 5.1. He said that 192 Khz sampling was only good for bats, which makes 96 Khz. only slightly overkill beyond 48 or 88 Khz. He also said that now that we have way more than enough bandwidth, all we can do is add more channels and decide on how to mix it from a stage vs. audience perpective. That research has been done/ongoing for over 10 years AFAIK, but it takes quite a while for any of this stuff to materialize on the consumer level in a PRACTICAL way.

PWK and Jim Hunter showed me how Bell Labs had the whole Stereo thing from microphone to speaker done in the mid-late 1920's, which is about 90 years ago. It too until the mid 1960's for Stereo to get in the home, which was almost 40 years.

I don't think we have to wait quite that long for new technologies to take off (iPods being a good example). Besides, when MONO was the king of sound reproduction for all those years in the last century, all you needed was one speaker.

Now we will need 11 plus at least 2-4 subwoofers to get the sound "right." Speaker manufacturers rejoice!

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I'm perfectly happy with the architectural in-ceiling speakers being used for Atmos but I haven't seen any recommendations in terms of specifically which models work best for this content. Just within the ceiling models there are surrounds with two tweeters firing different directions, traditional horns, horns that throw the sound as to trick you into thinking it's coming from in front of you, rotating coaxes, all kinds of choices. Best I can tell the CDT-5800-C II would be great but surely there is specific recommendations based on testing.

I would think Klipsch could design something to sit on top of the the towers or bookshelf systems.

rumblings over AVS that someone mentioned Klipsch is coming out with up firing speakers along with bringing out the Reference III line. We'll see. Some places seem to be blowing out prices on the Reference II line. 

I would think Klipsch could design something to sit on top of the the towers or bookshelf systems.

rumblings over AVS that someone mentioned Klipsch is coming out with up firing speakers along with bringing out the Reference III line. We'll see. Some places seem to be blowing out prices on the Reference II line. 

I have seen those "rumblings" and rumors over there and to be honest those sources don't seem too reliable...That said, I totally believe the Klipsch will come out with something...When, I dunno.

Edited by tkdamerica