Can Klipsch make a better center speaker than RC-64 II for the Referene II line?

qtg90

@ wvu80 : Did your Yamaha YPOA set up your old speakers, and did you re-calibrate for the new speakers?

No, i used the microphone to set up again after installing RC-64II. Then, after a few hours of watching some blurays, i did the eq but the result was not what i wanted, more bass output but not as smooth as RF-82II. Overall, RC-64II sounds great but i d rather exchange those 4 6.5" woofers for 2 8" woofers.

• Like 1

RC-64II sounds great but i d rather exchange those 4 6.5" woofers for 2 8" woofers.

Personally, I don't think 2-8" drivers will offer more performance than 4-6.5" drivers. Definitely less surface area with dual 8's.

Bill

• Like 2

Yes its a KLF-C7.

Looked like an Academy. They have a pair of 8's also.

Close

Wow, why does the horn look so narrow?

The Academy line was sort of an entry level. The horn used in this unit is actually a tweeter that is also used in some of the past speakers. It also looks very, very similar to the updated tweeter that was used in the Cornwall II, but I cant confirm this. I'm sure they broadened the X-over range of this little horn to accommodate the vocal range in movie dialog, while reducing the max input power. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the RC center channels. The RC versions actually have better response than the old KLF-C7, but I cant say which actually sounds better.

• Like 1

RC-64II sounds great but i d rather exchange those 4 6.5" woofers for 2 8" woofers.

Personally, I don't think 2-8" drivers will offer more performance than 4-6.5" drivers. Definitely less surface area with dual 8's.

Bill

Can't agree more. But in term of the characteristic of the bass, i prefer the dual 8's. Its just like saying that 4 8" subwoofer will sounds punchier with more output compared to 2 10" subwoofer while the dual 10" are maybe more emphasis on the very low octave and warmer. Of course, if they re all built with the same quality and design.

Edited by qtg90
  • Like 1

There are center speakers, then there are center speakers.

If price is no object, I'd recommend a La Scala II ... or a second hand Belle Klipsch in good condition, or an original La Scala (I).

Some people sit their TV on top of one, or suspend the TV on the wall just above it.

We have a Belle Klipsch center channel. Crossed over at 80 Hz, it sounds great, crisp, and clear. This is even more true with Audyssey XT EQ (if you are buying now, you may want tto go higher than XT).

All of the above speakers really need to be crossed over to a subwoofer.

Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 2

Yes its a KLF-C7.

Looked like an Academy. They have a pair of 8's also.

Close

Wow, why does the horn look so narrow?

The Academy line was sort of an entry level. The horn used in this unit is actually a tweeter that is also used in some of the past speakers. It also looks very, very similar to the updated tweeter that was used in the Cornwall II, but I cant confirm this. I'm sure they broadened the X-over range of this little horn to accommodate the vocal range in movie dialog, while reducing the max input power. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the RC center channels. The RC versions actually have better response than the old KLF-C7, but I cant say which actually sounds better.

Yeah, having been produced a long time ago, i think the KLF-C7 was manufatured right in the usa so that it is built better and more carefully than nowadays Reference line which is mostly manufatured in China ( except RC-64, RF 7, 83, 63 built in US).

Edited by qtg90
  • Like 1

There are center speakers, then there are center speakers.

If price is no object, I'd recommend a La Scala II ... or a second hand Belle Klipsch in good condition, or an original La Scala (I).

Some people sit their TV on top of one, or suspend the TV on the wall just above it.

We have a Belle Klipsch center channel. Crossed over at 80 Hz, it sounds great, crisp, and clear. This is even more true with Audyssey XT EQ (if you are buying now, you may want tto go higher than XT).

All of the above speakers really need to be crossed over to a subwoofer.

Thanks for advice, the Heritage series is one hell of a speaker, i ve never had a chance to listen to them but heard a lot of good reviews. But they are too heavy and bulky, and i doubt that they ll blend well in my RF system

• Like 1

I have owned a couple pairs of speakers and the imaging was so good I just did a phantom center and swear I had a center

That would be good in a music only room, but doesn't using a phantom mean you can't use Blu-ray DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD, because the dialog comes out of the center channel output only? .... unless you have some kind of mixer ... or unless you select "2 channel" on those disk menus that have it ... do you still get the LFE to go to the subwoofer, if any?

Edited by Garyrc

I have been doing a side by side comparison between RC-64 and RC-62 this whole week. I like the way both sound..

My new receiver is on it's way so I will just have to wait until I have it hooked up before I make my final decision. I like the size of the RC-62 when TV stand shopping though.

Edited by K5SS

I have owned a couple pairs of speakers and the imaging was so good I just did a phantom center and swear I had a center

That would be good in a music only room, but doesn't using a phantom mean you can't use Blu-ray DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD, because the dialog comes out of the center channel output only? .... unless you have some kind of mixer ... or unless you select "2 channel" on those disk menus that have it ... do you still get the LFE to go to the subwoofer, if any?

no if you select no center in avr menu it automatically puts the center info into the mains.