What Do the Archies and the Smithereens....

thebes

...have in common. Can't guess. How about treacle, maudlin, catchy rhymes, teeny boppin, do the Freddie, while being a Monkeee, designed expressly to appeal to per-soemthing-or-other 13 year-olds and those seeking tooth decay through the medium of pop music.

Yes folks it's Bubblegum, and let's face it, every wanna bee starlett and silly young man wants a catchy tune to draw in the masses. Weather their acting on their budding libidos; their befuddled libidos; their gross lack of talent; their affinity to the Beatles; the record company's need for a pop hit; the rents due; their creativity quotient is on the level of a dead squirrel in the middle of the road. Don't matter any no how, cause we all gotta bop, but what we really want is pop.

But I digress, or do I?

Bubblegum. That sticky substance on the bottom of your sneaker that ruled the airwaves through the late 60's and well into the 70's.

Now here's what the Archies had to say:

Sugar, oh, honey, honey
You are my candy girl
And you got me wanting you
Honey, oh, sugar, sugar
You are my candy girl
And you got me wanting you

Now from The Smithereens, It's a Lonely Place:
I was born the day I met you,
Lived a little when you loved me,
Died a little when we broke apart.
Suddenly, this world's no longer bright.
I'm alone and lonely every night.
Won't you bring back your love that's out of sight?
I'm in a lonely place without you.
I'm in a lonely place without you.
One chirppy, one, well lonely.
Until you drop in the music and then, depending on the Smithereen version, the Archies and The Smithereens get pretty close to being kissin cousins.
So what what major "artistic" group, do you guys think may fall afoul of a foray into teeny bopper land?
I'll await your answer while spinning one of the great Bubblegum classics,
"Yummy, Yummy, Yummy"

You guys make me (I'm so) Dizzy by Tommy Roe.

As far as dead squirrels go, I was originally going to write "Like a dead skunk in the middle of the road, stinkin to high heaven", but that's not a Bubblegum song.