Alive Inside

billybob

Alzheimer sufferers are known to keep neural links to musically related information from their youth. They're not so much being cured of anything as they are re-experiencing these events from in their past. It is interesting to watch. Really it is like hitting a link on your computer. They will be sitting still, and typically withdrawn - start up their special tune - and they come alive almost mechanically, like automatons. They will smile, and sing and often dance along - like when they were kids. And the second the music stops - they stop - unlinked and back into the darkness of Alzheimer's disease. In the future what will be interesting will be those of later generations whose musical exposures were much broader. Will they be able to light up to any number of tunes?

• Like 1

My Mom had Alzheimer's for over 15 years, and did very well with it for over 12 years. She was always singing and whistling. Both my parents were always upbeat and had incredible attitudes, they had a zest for life, I think that made all the difference.

Thanks for the videos guys, very informative.

• Like 1

Not to be a 'Debby Downer' but........... You do need to understand that there are many 'comforts' that residents of retirement homes really want but - unless they can pay to get them - it will just not happen. Medicare does not pay for assisted living unless the resident is on hospice care. Medicaid will pay for assisted living but at a base level providing a sustaining level of care and not one iota above that. At the skilled nursing level Medicare pays but on a timed course....... it is not long term residential living. And under the ACA these benefits are not expected to improve.......... and more likely will diminish. Literally most of the elderly are warehoused and are afforded dignified care within spartan criteria and not one penny more will be advanced beyond meeting those very basic requirements.

All of you with concerns about elder care can find volunteer opportunities in your communities. Things like music, visitation, food, entertainment, used cell phones, hearing aids, old eye glasses............ seriously you have no idea how little these people get. And they can be so lonely and unhappy. So hell yes, music can revive their hearts and stimulate their minds and illicit smiles. So can an afternoon doing a jigsaw puzzle with you. Think about it.

• Like 1

I've experienced a family member with what is now popularly called Alzheimer's. An autopsy was not done but I think it was more a case of senile dementia. The music and old memories were definitely a similar trait. People would rather use a persons name than say dementia. Despite that we all grew up with Dr. Demento.

After reading this thread and watching the video a idea came to me, for at work I stored my recently bought Khorns, waiting for a bigger home in the future.

I also got a pair of La Scala's I could not part with yet, stashed at a friend's place.

Now there's a elderly-home at the end of our street just 200metres from here, what if go over there and ask if they have a room I can use to play music for the residents once a week or so.

The Khorns and LS's should have a purpose right now and I'd be able to listen to them myself as well. I got spare audio-gear enough as well to power them.

We'll be on vacation with the family for a week first and then I will visit the elderly-home to have a chat there.

Thanks for starting this thread billybob, my wife said I'm crazy for buying the Khorns [ no room enough in our current home] and for not selling the LS's yet....maybe there's a reason after all and they can be put to use.

Will let you know how it goes.

• Like 2

Heard this broadcast on my weekend job and wanted to post it here. Seems that most all people like some form of music or another. My experience was with my mom who I lived with for a number of years after my dad passed. Over the years, mom listened to her Sony walkman, in those days, to her favorites. Nashville now was a favorite TV program which she enjoyed.Nursing homes usually have some music related activities, either a resident piano, or other setup. Soothing elevator music could even have a desirable effect on visitors, as it does on the residents there. If music does indeed have a desirable on the population there, it would seem worth it from a medical POV to study this phenomenon. IOW, what other links can be found that may awaken other cognitive parts of the mind/brain. Quality of life and family interaction seem a given to create an interactive environment.

Drinking my first cup, so, not very coherent at the moment. Thanks for all replies, and will try it again later.

Edited by billybob

Very cool. I know that music is what keeps me going, and I'm only semi-senile.

Told the fiance' abit ago, music keeps me young and vibrant. That worked a little while.

Semi- is a good word here. I listen to remember, when I can remember to listen.

I'll be anxious to see the movie. Looks like a wonderful idea. Like a lot of things, why didn't someone think of this sooner?

The effects of music on the vascular system has been known for awhile now from studies, It just seems like a logical step to put some familiar music to the ears of demented patients. It appears to be taking hold now. Certainly I have anecdotals involving a couple of people I know. Not totally original as thinking forum members have noticed this before from their own experiences.

I've experienced a family member with what is now popularly called Alzheimer's. An autopsy was not done but I think it was more a case of senile dementia. The music and old memories were definitely a similar trait. People would rather use a persons name than say dementia. Despite that we all grew up with Dr. Demento.

Good point! My mother could sing all of her favorites at will. She could recall family memories of events with great detail from youth and after. On the other side, she would repeat herself and ask the same question, over and over.

After reading this thread and watching the video a idea came to me, for at work I stored my recently bought Khorns, waiting for a bigger home in the future.

I also got a pair of La Scala's I could not part with yet, stashed at a friend's place.

Now there's a elderly-home at the end of our street just 200metres from here, what if go over there and ask if they have a room I can use to play music for the residents once a week or so.

The Khorns and LS's should have a purpose right now and I'd be able to listen to them myself as well. I got spare audio-gear enough as well to power them.

We'll be on vacation with the family for a week first and then I will visit the elderly-home to have a chat there.

Thanks for starting this thread billybob, my wife said I'm crazy for buying the Khorns [ no room enough in our current home] and for not selling the LS's yet....maybe there's a reason after all and they can be put to use.

Will let you know how it goes.

That sounds like a worthy pursuit. Please let us know how it turns out.

Video speaks to the need for pod like devices that could store and replay residents favorites playlist over headphones. Well any headphones would probably do but, Klipsch headphones would be my choice.

This really looks as if the music therapy idea could take off and become widespread, of course. If I had the resource, I would exploit in a positive way the need. If even in a small way.

The movie should be interesting to see.

• 1 year later...

Billy Bob,

I see that you posted about this a year before I did.  In my opinion, it can't get too much exposure.  People need to see the video.

Thank you for bringing it to the attention of the Klipsch forums.

Neil

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1