Should I buy this MC-250?

jimjimbo

I owned one of these once when I was much younger. Why did I let it go? Man that's a lot of money, but the most solid 50 watts you'll ever hear. Give it a good listen, some of this older gear exhibits noise. It may be in need of some servicing depending on it's history. Adjust price accordingly.

• Like 1

The price is on the high side, no doubt about it, but according to Ebay, there have been some units selling for that price. I also saw some selling in the 450-500 range.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Mcintosh+MC+250&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Most people run to Ebay for a price check, and the first thing you see is a seller's ASKING price. My favorite search option is to click on the SOLD LISTINGS, on the left. That tells you what the piece actually sold for, how many sold in the last month, etc.

If you want a deal, don't fall in love with it. B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

If it has been refurb'd by a good tech....

Or you could buy direct from Terry DeWick for abit more. You get a warranty from DeWick. I bought some MC30s and he repaired them for free even after my warranty ran out. Top notch guy.

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/

Exactly what I was thinking, now if your not so bright such as I am. Then you can purchase a cheap one that isn't working and attempt to fix it yourself for half the price. Or take a gamble and purchase a non working one and send it to Terry for fixin up, you may save or end up paying just as much.

Which ever you do make sure you look it over real good, or have someone look it over and make sure its worth what the seller wants. I think a lot of the ones on ebay or pricey as most haven't even been serviced lately.

I have a MC2505 and think its a wonderful sounding amp. I am actually out for 2 more someday, but for now I need to get my MC2100 going. Good luck and keep us in loop.

I decided to pass on the deal. The gentleman was very firm on the price, and I need another amp like I need a poke in the eye....It really does look very nice, so if anyone is interested, please PM me, and I will send you contact info.

If it has been refurb'd by a good tech....

Or you could buy direct from Terry DeWick for abit more. You get a warranty from DeWick. I bought some MC30s and he repaired them for free even after my warranty ran out. Top notch guy.

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/

Exactly what I was thinking, now if your not so bright such as I am. Then you can purchase a cheap one that isn't working and attempt to fix it yourself for half the price. Or take a gamble and purchase a non working one and send it to Terry for fixin up, you may save or end up paying just as much.

Which ever you do make sure you look it over real good, or have someone look it over and make sure its worth what the seller wants. I think a lot of the ones on ebay or pricey as most haven't even been serviced lately.

I have a MC2505 and think its a wonderful sounding amp. I am actually out for 2 more someday, but for now I need to get my MC2100 going. Good luck and keep us in loop.

I only give that advice because I have been there and done that with vintage amps. DeWick rocks. Now I'm trying to rebuild my own amps.... Talk about difficult. They don't pay techs enough for this work LOL....

• Like 1

I would endorse buying from terry dewick or audio classics. Audio Classics has two mc 250 s for sale one in excellent cosmetic condition and one less so. Both have been gone through and are up to snuff electronically. Based on my experience I would pay 20% more for gear from a place like audio classics. You know what you're getting and you know they will stand by what they sell. I'm sure the same is true with terry dewick. I haven't had experience with him. I have purchased an amp from audio classics and they are terrific to deal with.

Edited by joshnich

Condition is 2/3 of that kind of price, not the amp I would slip my toe into the tube water with unless the price was good.

Condition is 2/3 of that kind of price, not the amp I would slip my toe into the tube water with unless the price was good.

Particularly since the mc 250 is not a tube amp.

Great amp, but this one seems overpriced. I paid $700 for my C28 AND MC 2505, and later purchased 3 @ MC 250 amps for $900 TOTAL.

If it's pristine, and recently/reliably serviced? Maybe...

The prices on these have gone sky rocket in the last couple of years. The mc2505, fetches up to 1200.00 alone.