I don't always drink beer, but when I do I don't care what kind.

JL Sargent

I'm on a tequila tear at the moment(s)...

My favorite, local Taqueria started offering Margarita "kits" as a to go item. Their hand squeezed citrus blend in a half-full Mason jar.

Add 12 oz. tequila and 5 oz. of either Triple Sec or Cointreau, and WOW.

Beer slows me down, and liquor is quicker for me on both ends.

I love margaritas.  Hate the crap mixes available, like Chi Chi's, etc.. Too sweet, too tart, and too much high fructose corn syrup.  I have gone with just Simply LimeAid, tequila and Triple Sec, but still not satisfied.  Squeezing fresh limes is too inconvenient and expensive.  Is this a local establishment that sells the mix?  Do you have any good recipes for the mix?

Local establishment, yes, but I am enough of a regular that they shared the recipe.

1.75 Liter Silver Tequila - They use Cien Anos

750 Ml Triple Sec - They use Bols

19 oz. fresh lemon juice

19 oz. fresh line juice

5 oz. sugar

35 oz. water

Be sure to completely dissolve the sugar in the water before adding everything else. Powerful stuff.

Any good cheap recommendations for OTC fresh lemon & lime juice?  Or good & cheap combo, not possible?  I can't grow lime & lemon trees in these parts.

I'm on a tequila tear at the moment(s)...

My favorite, local Taqueria started offering Margarita "kits" as a to go item. Their hand squeezed citrus blend in a half-full Mason jar.

Add 12 oz. tequila and 5 oz. of either Triple Sec or Cointreau, and WOW.

Beer slows me down, and liquor is quicker for me on both ends.

I love margaritas.  Hate the crap mixes available, like Chi Chi's, etc.. Too sweet, too tart, and too much high fructose corn syrup.  I have gone with just Simply LimeAid, tequila and Triple Sec, but still not satisfied.  Squeezing fresh limes is too inconvenient and expensive.  Is this a local establishment that sells the mix?  Do you have any good recipes for the mix?

Local establishment, yes, but I am enough of a regular that they shared the recipe.

1.75 Liter Silver Tequila - They use Cien Anos

750 Ml Triple Sec - They use Bols

19 oz. fresh lemon juice

19 oz. fresh line juice

5 oz. sugar

35 oz. water

Be sure to completely dissolve the sugar in the water before adding everything else. Powerful stuff.

Any good cheap recommendations for OTC fresh lemon & lime juice?  Or good & cheap combo, not possible?  I can't grow lime & lemon trees in these parts.

Hopefully someone can help you out lime and lemon juice suggestions. I'm spoiled since I can simply buy their "kits" and add liquor...

If you like Sangria, they also shared those recipes:

RED SANGRIA (1 batch)                                                                   

1 ½ boxes black box wine (or 6 x 750ml bottles: 4.5 liters)

1 quart sugar water (fill 1/3 with sugar then top off with water to 1qt,

mix until completely dissolved)

1 quart orange juice

1 quart apple cider

½ cup fresh lime juice

2 cinnamon sticks

fresh fruit chopped (4-5 each oranges/apples)

*top with one finger of pineapple soda  right before serving

WHITE SANGRIA  (1 batch)                                                                   

2 boxes pinot grigio

2 cups amaretto

1 cup lime juice

2 cups orange juice

4 cups apricot nectar (one 32 oz. bottle)

Dissolve 1 cup sugar into liquids

1 pineapple, 8 oranges

*top with one finger of bubbly water right before serving

Unlike the margarita recipe there's definitely some wiggle room with these. You could switch up the fruit, adjust the sugar amount etc and you are still likely to get a delicious drink! Well, a LOT of them actually, but all these recipes can be scaled to suit.

Enjoy!

Nothing like hot Coors and Vienna Sausage out of cans at 0700 at a camp site. Takes the edge off.

Been there... except it was Milwaukee's best (worst?)
the local 'store' would fill containers from their tap. We used gallon milk jugs.

http://www.stateparks.com/beavers_bend.html

Edited by USNRET

• Moderators

Tried a local beer from the Lazy Magnolia brewery, It's called Jefferson Stout, it has NO shortage of strong flavor, wow.

I am no beer expert, I don't even know the differences between styles, just go by taste really. It was good and the wife liked it, we really need to try some of there others, especially since they 30 miles away.

For those who know what this means.

Original Gravity 14 Final Gravity 5 Bittering Units 22 Lovibond Scale 25 Alcohol by Volume 4.65% Grains Munich, caramel, barley, chocolate

Hops High alpha bittering. No aroma hops Flavor Profile Chocolate, coffee, creamy Aroma Dark caramel, coffee Ideal Serving Temperature 55 degrees F Ideal Carbonation Level 2.5 Volumes

Jefferson Stout

Availability: 12oz Bottles, 1/6 Barrel Keg, 1/2 Barrel Keg

Jefferson Stout, Lazy Magnolia’s original Sweet Potato Cream Stout, is Lazy Magnolia’s version of the ideal Southern-Style Stout. Jefferson Stout is brewed with sweet potatoes and lactose (milk sugar). The sweet potatoes provide the background to an impressive taste with added notes of roasted chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors

post-9700-0-53440000-1409264394_thumb.jp

• Moderators
JL Sargent, on 28 Aug 2014 - 6:34 PM, said:JL Sargent, on 28 Aug 2014 - 6:34 PM, said:

"Stout" correctly labelled it would seem. Would you buy more of that or was it just too much?

I would buy it again but I want to try some of their others first for sure, they have tours where you can taste 6 different beers, I need to go try it out. Abita is an hour away also we have been saying were going, but never did.

Edited by dtel