SVS talk...

Schu

Okay, here is the deal. All this SVS talk makes me wonder if I might be happy with an SVS model over my SW-115.

I like my SW-115... it's MORE THAN ENOUGH for my HT duty because the thing will literally shake the foundation of my home, but I want as much MUSICALITY out of my SW as possible and I am not sure this thing is the most musical because I have never heard an SVS in person.

Currently the SW-115 seems very nice, does everything well... but I am still left wondering if I might be happier with an SVS (or some other brand/model) from a 2 channel music stand point.

I would probably be looking at the PB 2000 (love the black oak), maybe two but probably one, or if I felt I could swing it a single PB-12.

Also I like to cross really low, around 50hz or so.

I think I am looking for SUPER CLEAN sound and SPEED.

not many of you around here have probably heard the SW-115 in person, but what say you?

I am also open to a Custom built Tuba... but main focus is Music.

Room is probably 20'x40' (LP is 20x20, open on right side)

Edited by Schu

Perhaps sloppy terminology, but interpret it in terms of horn vs. direct radiator bass as discussed quite regularly around here.  To me, speed translates as good transient response, low distortion, etc., specific traits that horns have a genuine advantage in.

precisely^... who would think speed to mean higher frequency???

calling out Jason... PM'ed

Edited by Schu

who would think speed to mean higher frequency???

Who wouldn't?  The faster something goes the faster it resonates.  Define how to tell the difference in sound of a 30Hz sine wave being played through a "fast" sub versus the sound you hear of the same 30Hz sine wave being played through a "slow" sub.

• Like 1

pull your head out

You have a real knack for attacking a poster when you either disagree with or don't understand what someone is trying to say.  If you disagree with something I've posted, formulate an argument to the specific part of the post you're having issues with.  I have no issue with a healthy debate.  We both might learn something. 

I think I am looking for SUPER CLEAN sound and SPEED.

How would you propose measure this "SPEED" you are looking for? 

Essentially, you seem to be using a subjective term for which you did not give your definition and the term does not necessarily accurately describe anything that can be answered objectively.

SPEED???????  If waves from a sub go faster they go higher.  I've never understood this term in regards to bass.

Agreed. Misused and misunderstood term.

... who would think speed to mean higher frequency???

I believe that many would consider speed to be Hertz measurements of oscillations or in how fast it takes for a wave to reach full amplitude. 

For example, a 32 Hz note is 32 cycles per second and a 64 Hz note is 64 cycles per second.  As Carl has articulated above, the 64 Hz note is twice as fast or "TWICE THE SPEED" of the 32 Hz note.  Please note that 64 Hz is a HIGHER frequency than the 32 Hz note.

Therefore, if a subwoofer can reproduce a certain note, then it would seem to be "fast" enough to reproduce that note, otherwise, if it was playing "slower" then it would seem to be playing a different note. 

If you think about speed in how fast a wave reaches full amplitude, since the speed of sound is constant regardless of frequency, for higher frequencies it will take less time for a wave to go to full amplitude since the wave is shorter than a low frequency wave. 

We do have the aspect of cone velocity, damping and voice coil inductance.  I suspect that some of the subwoofers may be subject to power compression too if not driven by a proper amplifier. 

Given the above, please keep in mind that we listen to very complex waveforms that have thousands upon thousands of frequencies produced simulaneously.  Here is where the transient response (mentioned by Ski Bum) comes into play where the transient response is an indication of how fast the driver can CHANGE speed or MOVE from position to position to reproduce all of the notes in the band pass.

Although I'm not sure of the actual impact as the speed of sound is 1,130 feet per second and electical impulses flowing through voice coils move at ~ 130,000 miles per second, given that a voice coil acts as an inductor and the higher the inductance of the driver, the longer it holds the current and the greater elapses in time before it responds to the amplifier.

I'm wondering if part of the problem could be that the harmonics of a note may not be lined up with the fundamentals of the same note in certain subs if the sub is poorly damped or poorly controlled by the amp?

Edited by Fjd

I've never heard the se-115. i have only heard the sw-112. lots of guys have said the 115 is way better than that and while i try not to disagree with anyone on things i have never heard, basically it is the same line of subwoofer so i don't see how it could be night and day better. my wife isn't in to this hobby at all by any means and when i got those 6 sw-112's to sell from a buddy i had one plugged in and she actually asked me to unplug it while she was home cause she hated how boomy it sounded. audyssey was ran same as my little horn subs or any other subs I've had. 

svs i have heard and owned, the sb-12nsd which was a fantastic subwoofer but just didn't have the output i was looking for at the time. now i wish i wouldnt have sold it as i am looking to downsize in the living room. 

the other svs i had was the dual pb-13 ultras. we all know how good they are. i would have never gotten rid of them had i not went to a few ave guys houses and heard seaton submersives, jtr captivators, and diy 18's. i was never looking for better quality when i went away from svs only more headroom and effortless sound. 

if i were you i'd try cause you know you want to. id skip the pb-2000 and go straight for the middle of the pack or splurge and go all out. get you a plus or the ultra  :D

Just found this thread.

Your room is good sized and a single 15" would be the minimum i would recommend for bass duty but if musical is what you're searching for one of the Tuba subs would be a perfect choice and a best bang for the buck option, the effortless clean sound is hard to come by without breaking the bank.

Sloppy bass is usually caused by a poorly tuned cabinet/ driver combo and/ or high distortion output can be interpreted as sloppy but either way i know where you're coming from.

• Like 2

45 days actually.

I had my SVS cart filled with 2 of the new gloss black SB-2000 for over an hour today.. Just couldn't pull the trigger since someone PM'd me here offering me some cherry RF-63's.

I have owned 4 SVS subwoofers and I have loved all of them. I am not as technical as some of you guys but I would say a PB-2000 would trounce a SW-115 and with the free shipping both ways and the 45 day trial, might as well make that important decision yourself!

• Like 1