It's Here!

BigStewMan

I agree with the people who have mentioned restricted travel.  Why we would issue visa's/travel permits from these nations is beyond me.  I am not saying US heath service folks or military members should not be allowed to return.

I believe the current Presidentail oath is to just explicitly say protect the constitution, but I think this implies protect the people of the U.S. before the rest of the world. 

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”  

I know in this politically correct world that sounds 'evil' but not to me.  I would offer the advise that unless you have special dispensation as a U.S. citizen you should not be allowed to travel to these infected nations or if you do travel, then your return in not guaranteed.  Now again, health service, military, approved business reason, etc with controlled re-entry procedures, sure.       

I don't expect much from my government directly, but I enjoy a lot of what it provides for sure and pay a lot as well.  But we need to nip this in the bud, not attempt to repair this in full bloom. 

Edited by jacksonbart

What bothers me is Ebola is only transmitted through bodily fluids but when they disinfect a place everybody is wearing air tight clothing. So if a bodily fluid is present on a toilet seat or faucet how does it get on the sidewalk with the guys spraying it in air tight clothing? How long is the virus active on an inanimate object? We are told it is not airborne but the cleanup guys don't seem to believe it.

JJK

What bothers me is Ebola is only transmitted through bodily fluids but when they disinfect a place everybody is wearing air tight clothing. So if a bodily fluid is present on a toilet seat or faucet how does it get on the sidewalk with the guys spraying it in air tight clothing? How long is the virus active on an inanimate object? We are told it is not airborne but the cleanup guys don't seem to believe it.

JJK

+1

Guest Steven1963

I believe it is at least aerosolized - airborne in minute/microscopic droplets from a sneeze/cough.  And from what I've read you only need a very small exposure/dosage to these critters to catch it.  It can also live on exposed surfaces for some time so, touch something and then rub your eye = exposure.

I also DO NOT believe what the CDC/government is telling us about it.  That has gotten me labeled paranoid but hey, I'll take that over Ebola ANY day. 

We are told it is not airborne but the cleanup guys don't seem to believe it.

I believe it.  If it had gone airborne, there would be tons of people infected already. I would suppose that the cleaning guys are wise to treat it as if it were.  What i have no idea about is, how quickly can a virus mutate -- are we talking weeks, months, years?

Edited by BigStewMan

from reading this virus has mutated a lot, however they (CDC) are confident it will not mutate to airborne as there is no previous virus that has mutated that significantly

However there are scientists that are concerned about the virus mutating to airborne

I suppose we are forced who to believe by choice

I did read an article that stated in the right circumstances (being close quarters) it would be possible to contract ebola from breathing the vapor droplets from an infected cough / sneeze

I will choose to treat it as a threat with ANY contact, and fully intend to do my best to keep my family and myself away

Truly airborne means the virus can survive for hours on naturally air buoyant material like dust, etc.  Ebola cannot do that.  Measles can do that.  A person infected with measles will contaminate a closed space for several hours after they've left that space and anyone entering that space that is susceptible can catch the measles during those many hours.

Ebola does spread by droplet - so yeah - aerosols caused by sneezing and coughing will carry Ebola and if inhaled - or if they fall on skin - can infect.  They also contaminate surfaces for a certain period of time.  When Ebola becomes contagious I think is open to debate.  It has to vary according to preexisting circumstances.  Peoples with existing lung disease naturally produce and expel, more mucous when they are healthy.  Will they expel Ebola sooner than a person with healthy lungs?

Ebola is reaching a critical epidemic state in these primary African countries.  The house of cards is falling faster than it can be reinforced.  I really wished that we had not sent our troops into the maw of this mess.  With all due respect the military is not famous for detailed work and the minutest of mistakes has huge consequences with Ebola.

• Like 2

• Moderators
BigStewMan, on 12 Oct 2014 - 8:55 PM, said:

oscarsear, on 12 Oct 2014 - 5:01 PM, said: Again this is a recent traveler from Liberia

The news reported that 150 people PER DAY arrive in the U.S. from the three West African countries. 

And think about this story on top of that, you can bribe someone to let you give a typical burial to a family member who died from Ebola, they will change the cause of death for a price. It's not going to end anytime soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-families-bodies-bribes-153423993.html

Edited by dtel

BigStewMan, on 12 Oct 2014 - 8:55 PM, said:

oscarsear, on 12 Oct 2014 - 5:01 PM, said: Again this is a recent traveler from Liberia

The news reported that 150 people PER DAY arrive in the U.S. from the three West African countries. 

And think about this story on top of that, you can bribe someone to let you give a typical burial to a family member who died from Ebola, they will change the cause of death for a price. It's not going to end anytime soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-families-bodies-bribes-153423993.html

The human heart is so depraved … i keep saying that nothing will surprise me anymore--then mankind hits a new low.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Fresh off the news this morning, yet another person infected, just came over the news.

Dallas area.

Yup..........  this is another nurse who worked with the Ebola patient.  WHO now estimates that in Liberia that there are 1000 new cases of Ebola per week.  Within a month they expect this will increase to 10K new cases per week.  We've had one case and so far 2 healthcare providers have been cross contaminated.  This is where the feds have their presumptions so wrong.  Our healthcare systems are not in the least able to manage masses or even a few cases of Ebola.  They are not tuned into intense isolation procedures.  They had better be more circumspect about keeping Ebola off of the American continents - that means South America too.  If Ebola gets started in South America it will be just as prolific as it is in Africa now - and it will be right next door - and our borders are essentially wide open.

• Like 2

Our healthcare systems are not in the least able to manage masses or even a few cases of Ebola.

Good Morning -- i'm still thinking that the contamination most likely occurred BEFORE he was put in isolation.  News reports (not always accurate however) have said that he sat for hours in a waiting room amongst other patients.  So, i'm wondering if this is just a situation that is not the fault of our medical processes per se; but, didn't ramp up until it was too late?  The key factor here, and i really hate to focus on a particular individual(s); but, when Mr. Duncan first went to the ER and told the nurse that he'd been in West Africa and that VITAL piece of information didn't get relayed to the doctor (not sure if the nurse didn't write it down or the doctor didn't read the chart completely). 

Edited by BigStewMan

Guest Steven1963

Just think of the Panic that will be coming in Flu season coming up.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread.  Ebola presents like the flu. Millions get the flu every year. Hospitals will be overrun with people with flu symptoms and they cannot isolate them all and test them for Ebola. Hospitals will be pushed to the breaking point. I also read somewhere a couple weeks ago that Ebola is more easily spread in cooler/damper climates, and winter is coming.

This is pretty much the worst possible combination of circumstances.  Some people are poo-pooing the issue. Not me.

It was just a couple weeks ago the CDC said they'd stop this in its tracks.  Now we have 3 cases.  I don't buy anything the CDC is telling the American public because they are politically influenced and the politicians do not want a public that is panic mode.

Edited by Steven1963