It's Here!

BigStewMan

In Africa there are daily WHO briefings on the status of the Ebola epidemic.  Yesterday for the 1st time there was no data presented for Liberia....... for the worst of reasons.  The system in Liberia can no longer keep any reasonable accounting of the number of infected and dying.  The statistics given in the west are estimated to be about half correct.  So double the number of infected and the number of deaths.  And from here forward there will be no accurate data.  The epidemic is no longer quantitative, it is just qualitative and it is really bad and getting a lot worse.

I'd like to know who is driving the bus?  I was at first upset at this woman; but, turns out she reported her fever to the CDC before travelling (fever was only 99.5).  One doctor was reported as saying that she was below the "threshold" of 100.4 -- no idea what that means ... you either have a fever or you don't. 

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says a second Dallas nurse who tested positive for Ebola, who flew a day before it was known that she might be suffering from the virus, should not have been cleared to fly. She reported to the agency that she had a fever, she said, but was told she could go ahead and continue her travel. Now, 132 passengers on her flight are wondering if they were exposed

Nurse: 'We never talked about Ebola'

A Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital nurse is speaking out, telling NBC's "Today" show Thursday that nurses did not have mandatory Ebola training, except for an optional seminar that didn't allow them any hands-on practice.

"We never talked about Ebola. We never had a discussion," Briana Aguirre said.

She said she was not involved in treating Duncan, who received care at the hospital in late September and died there on October 8.

Training for Texas Health Presbyterian's nursing staff amounted to "just information," she said. "We were never told what to look for."

"All I know for sure is that he (Duncan) was put into an area where there are around seven other patients," she said. "We took around three hours to make first contact with CDC to let them know what we had of our suspicion. There were no special precautions other than basic contact precautions. No special gear."

She said the hospital did not know what to do with one of his lab specimens.

A lab technician told Aguirre the specimen was "mishandled," she said. "It was a chaotic scene."

She said there was an effort to contact the hospital's infectious disease expert to determine the correct Ebola treatment protocol.

"Their answer was, 'We don't know. We will have to call you back,' " she said.

Well Ms. Nurse ... while i think training should have been mandatory, there was optional training that everyone should have wanted to attend, so some discussion "was had."  Lots of finger pointing, and butt covering going on. As the Flight Director in Apollo 13 said, "Let's work the program people, don't make it worse by guessing."

Edited by BigStewMan

Lots of finger pointing, and butt covering going on.

can you imagine having the whole nation, and likely the world, criticizing your every decision with retrospective clarity? you're darn right they want to pass blame and shrink back into the dark corner of anonymity.

I understand that process for sure

I wish some common sense would inject itself into the people in close contact ,  It would suck no doubt but a  21 day quarantine is far from the worst thing that could happen to someone and at this point it certainly seems like the logical thing to do................

• Like 1

Lots of finger pointing, and butt covering going on.

can you imagine having the whole nation, and likely the world, criticizing your every decision with retrospective clarity? you're darn right they want to pass blame and shrink back into the dark corner of anonymity.

yes, we're all being Monday morning quarterbacks to a high degree. Make a mistake and your villianized forever. I do not envy their positions and actually applaud the doctors and nurses for even being willing to treat him (heard yesterday that medical workers in Liberia are fleeing like crazy because the system is overwhelmed). Last night, there was a doctor (?) on tv saying that they've had so many exercises while planning response to myriad pandemics ... and so far what they've learned isn't working. I spent a long time working for a crisis response agency ... things don't always go as planned.  

Edited by BigStewMan

The Cleveland news has been on most of the day. The Nurse visited with her mother in Akron along with her mothers'

fiancé and 3 workers at Kent State University. The aircraft has been cleaned three times and is on it's way to Atlanta.

JJK

And now here's the rest of the story. 

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-15/second-ebola-infected-nurse-identified-was-symptomatic-995-degree-fever-while-flying

"But what is worse, is that as the WaPo reports the nurse had a fever of 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit before boarding a passenger jet on Monday, a day before she reported symptoms of the virus and was tested, according to public health officials."

I try to not believe what is in the news as it usually is not accurate.  If she had a fever or felt sick at all after caring for someone who had ebola, she should have self imposed a quarintine on herself until she felt better. 

A healtcare worker should know this. 

https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/522518184461873152

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-nurse-called-cdc-several-times/

So, this Gal should know more than the CDC?

OK, I was dead wrong.  The CDC cleared soemone who had exposure to an Ebola patient and had a fever because the fever was not high enough yet.  Holy crap, we are in trouble. 

Guest Steven1963

The CDC was created for exactly what we are facing right now.  They are failing, IMO.  But I'm not surprised.  Can anyone name a federal government entity/program that works, is solvent, and isn't actively working against the American Citizen? We pay way too much in taxes to have failure after failure after failure.  Still, nobody gets arrested and very few lose their jobs.  If they do manage to get fired, they likely retain their lavish pensions and move on to work in a private industry that is related/overseen to the public service job they just lost.

The system is broken.  We have a virus that is among the most deadly known to man inside our borders now and nobody....NOBODY is smart enough to close the borders to keep more from coming in while we try to contain what we have.  That is some seriously F'd up management, IMO...on top of that the NSA is spying on us and our leaders are fundraising or playing golf.

/slash wrists

Edited by Steven1963

I have worked in jobs where they advocate half measures like this, it usually came down to a fight where they threaten discipline as a means to shut you up and attempt to coerce...

I have too, even got labeled as a troublemaker due to trying to implement contact precautions throughout the c-diff infected unit. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I was not labeled as a troublemaker until I insisted the docs adhere to the protocols as well (e.g. hand washing, avoiding the use of the same stethoscope on infected and healthy patients, etc).  Unfortunately, nurses are lumped in with the housekeepers and janitors on the balance sheet, merely an expense; the docs are revenue generators.  Nurses are not respected, at least not at that facility.  I ended up leaving that job because the hospital cared more about money than patient outcomes.

It was not an unusual setting, similar to most med/surg type units I've worked in.  From the news it seems that the hospital in Dallas follows the same tune.  Why no appropriate ppe and use of contact/droplet precautions until Ebola confirmed?  Costs. 

Guest Steven1963

At least my iPhone 6 finally shipped today (after a 3 week backorder).  B)

I took the day off today.  I'm expecting a Canon 1dx via FedEx.  Took me about 1 1/2 years to get it. :D

Well Ms. Nurse ... while i think training should have been mandatory, there was optional training that everyone should have wanted to attend, so some discussion "was had."  Lots of finger pointing, and butt covering going on. As the Flight Director in Apollo 13 said, "Let's work the program people, don't make it worse by guessing."

When` I was working in the VA hospital they would schedule training times when it was not possible for  some of the staff to attend.  If you are the only nurse working on the unit, you can't just up and leave for an hour or two whenever they schedule a training exercise.

When you are under staffed it is impossible and unsafe for most the staff to attend a training session. 

When they schedule a ridiculous mandatory training session and keep hounding you for not attending when the info is easily obtained on the internet., and they refuse to pay you for coming in on your own time when you would be sleeping.

Ah hell I forgot where I was going with this.  Nothing political about this thread is there?   

Edited by Taz

I have worked in jobs where they advocate half measures like this, it usually came down to a fight where they threaten discipline as a means to shut you up and attempt to coerce...

I have too, even got labeled as a troublemaker due to trying to implement contact precautions throughout the c-diff infected unit. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I was not labeled as a troublemaker until I insisted the docs adhere to the protocols as well (e.g. hand washing, avoiding the use of the same stethoscope on infected and healthy patients, etc).  Unfortunately, nurses are lumped in with the housekeepers and janitors on the balance sheet, merely an expense; the docs are revenue generators.  Nurses are not respected, at least not at that facility.  I ended up leaving that job because the hospital cared more about money than patient outcomes.

It was not an unusual setting, similar to most med/surg type units I've worked in.  From the news it seems that the hospital in Dallas follows the same tune.  Why no appropriate ppe and use of contact/droplet precautions until Ebola confirmed?  Costs. 

When` I was working in the VA hospital they would schedule training times when it was not possible for  some of the staff to attend.  If you are the only nurse working on the unit, you can't just up and leave for an hour or two whenever they schedule a training exercise.

When you are under staffed it is impossible and unsafe for most the staff to attend a training session. 

When they schedule a ridiculous mandatory training session and keep hounding you for not attending when the info is easily obtained on the internet., and they refuse to pay you for coming in on your own time when you would be sleeping.

Ah hell I forgot where I was going with this.  Nothing political about this thread is there?   

Where I worked we were federally mandated to perform tasks according to a set procedure, If we failed to perform those tasks according to procedure we were subject to fine or prison or both

Knowingly failing to follow a procedure could equal a fine of 10,000.00 per occurrence

Knowingly and Willingly failing to follow a procedure could equal, Fine and Imprisonment

It was a constant battle as the companys only concern was on time performance and bottom line as in $$$$$,  So you endd up with a manager on your Butt telling you he / she needs "X" by 2 am, problem is the procedure dictates 3 hours and you wont be done till 4 am, Manager then instructs you to post pone the procedure as its only a couple broken strands of copper on the wire, Federal rule states 0 strands allowed broken......Since I have no desire to fight the Feds they have the next shift tape it up and away she goes,  It comes back and starts all over again the next night (one example of hundreds over the years)

I was labeled a troublemaker and a PITA when it comes to safety (assistant superintendent actually called me that face to face, while stating I better join the safety committee as I was considered a PITA on safety)

I could go on and on for pages,  I am surprised a bit to learn that the medical field suffers the same ILL's.