Wine lovers here?

jimjimbo

I like reds better than anything else, since it isn't chilled. I like Malbecs a lot. Regularly have Merlot, and fini sent me a couple of bottles of Red Zin a few years ago, from a local award winning place in California. That was outstanding! If I am having white wine, I prefer a Chardonnay.

Bruce

This weekend my brother in law recommended that I start drinking a few glasses of red wine very night.  I agree, I'm sure that it is good for you, if not just that it is good to be relaxed. 

So I asked him, "Do you recommend something that comes in a box or in a can?"  Sophisticated, I is!!

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns
  • Like 1

This weekend my brother in law recommended that I start drinking a few glasses of red wine very night.  I agree, I'm sure that it is good for you, if not just that it is good to be relaxed. 

So I asked him, "Do you recommend something that comes in a box or in a can?"  Sophisticated, I is!!

Now that there's funny...I don't care who ye are.

The future of most wines will clearly be out of a Box, not the high end stuff but the middle market. More environmentally friendly, longer shelf life, cheaper to transport, lower cost of production, no cork taint. A win, win for everyone. This summer my wife & I, along with our guests went through more than a few boxes of "Vrac Rose". Vrac is French for in bulk, as in rural farming communities, people buy their wines directly from the winery using growlers or some such vessel.

Anyway, I have to say I noticed no ill effects on the taste of the wine from having the box in the fridge for a week or two. Try doing that with an open bottle, After a couple of days it will be undrinkable. Having 3 liters of wine in a reasonably small container is very convenient & makes sense economically. Once the better names start using Tetra Paks or some sort of box, the public will grow to accept them. The only problem I have found is that when you open your fridge, whoop there it is! A quick five second pull on the tap & a fresh glass is ready to be consumed.

I live smak dab in the middle of "Wine Country" and known a few "Vinters"over the years, wife is into it not me.

You would be amazed how how much garbage is out there, iv been given cases of everything, some with moldy corks/bad taste, some i did not even know what they were to taste like.

Napa/Sonoma/Applehill/ you name it.

Three are so many wannabie's out here its amazing, we do have a few we stop by now and again.

Totalwine/Bevmo supplys the overall shopping here.

Totalwine/Bevmo supplys the overall shopping here.

Total wine is my go to as well for price and selection. I've grown very skeptical of their recommendations however as I believe that they try to steer customers to their winery direct partners which ive found are not as good as the established benchmark producers for a given region/varietal.

Read something not too long ago that Costco was the largest retailer of wine in the US.  Now, their selection is minuscule compared to Total Wine or the other huge shops, but I have found their pricing to be quite a bit better.  If you take your time to look around Costco's wine section, you will occasionally find some really good bargains, particularly on Spanish/Portuguese/Australian reds.  I've lived on both the East and West coasts, as well as the Pacific NW, and you folks are very fortunate to have the great selections available to you.

I will agree with Stephen that environmentally and economically, boxed wine "should" make sense to producers and consumers.  But, and this is a "big but"....there have been many studies and surveys that have shown that consumers will not let go of the bottle and cork.  It has been ingrained so deeply that a bottle and cork signify a "good" or at least "decent" wine, and that boxes are junk.  Producers continue to struggle with the perception and have tried all sorts of different things to start a change in a different direction, but so far with very limited success.  Sure, you've seen a rise in packaging other than glass in the last decade or so, but go to even your local grocery store, stand in front of the wine shelves and look at the percentage taken up by box vs. bottle.  Plus, one last thought...I have actually tried to find a hearty red in a box that I could drink regularly, with zero success.  If anyone has a serious recommendation, please let me know, I would give it a shot....

Bottle and cork provide the "ambience" and allure to wine.

I was happy when synthetic corks showed up because you still got to remove a cork.  But twist tops quickly won over those. Not cool at all for consumers.  Processors like systems that preserve the quality..........the box could catch on and does make sense.  I don't  care for "draught" wine personally.

At this point in time, I think some producers are placing twist tops on wines that they think would/should be consumed in a relatively short time frame, which makes a lot of sense to me, but, you are right, something as "small" as a twist top again hurts the image, even if it's a practical decision.

Here on Pluto the state stores really kill your choices or price you out of recommended wine that people in the 'other logical states' can get at a reasonable price.  I really enjoy Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon, as a good ‘normal’ choice but the prices can vary so much here in PA.  I prefer wine under $18/20 a bottle and I am sure in CA, it is much cheaper. 

Bottle and cork provide the "ambience" and allure to wine.

I was happy when synthetic corks showed up because you still got to remove a cork.  But twist tops quickly won over those. Not cool at all for consumers.  Processors like systems that preserve the quality..........the box could catch on and does make sense.  I don't  care for "draught" wine personally.

This reminds me of why there is such an allure to vinyl versus digital to some. The "act" of taking the record out, playing it, having to flip it over, put it away when done, etc. It's part of the novelty.