New-ish Klipsch owner

AaronH

Good afternoon all! First time poster here but been here for a year reading. In December of last year I decided to upgrade my system with some RF82ii, RC-62ii and I had some Polk towers lying around for rears. All I can say is that was quite a sweet sounding system. Like you all though, I had the regret of not buying what I really wanted and couldn't afford to at the time due to Christmas and all. Last week my wife let me upgrade to the RF7ii and RC64ii and I was sooooo pumped that I FINALLY get to have what I wanted! Should be here on Monday.  My plan is to move the 82's to act as rears. My question is to anyone who is running 82's as surrounds, how does it sound? Should I get the RS-62's instead?

My system:

Yamaha Aventage 1030 (pre)

Outlaw 7500 (200w x 5)

SVS PC-13 Ultra

Klipsch RF7ii x 2

Klipsch RC64ii

Klipsch RF82ii x 2

APC H15 power conditioner.

Thanks all for the warm welcome! The center came in today!

HT.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

Congrats on your new speakers. Getting them is as much fun as using them imo. You don't NEED an amp. But the more you have the more head room you have. Head room is vastly underrated imo. You have a amp already so its a no brainer. 

Even running my RF 7's at 13 ft. from the main listening position in a 5300 cu ft. space, I have never used over 100 watts in a movie and speakers set to large.  Music does not even come close on the power usage as movie.

You set yours to large?

I'm not derrickdj1, but ....

If less than 100 watts is necessary with speakers set to large, then even less would be needed with speakers set to small.  That may be derrickdj1's point.  But, extra headroom is always nice. 

But why would someone set speakers to large?  Although most experts (including the people at THX and Audyssey) urge people to set all speakers to small, with a crossover at about 80 Hz or 60 Hz, it's worth experimenting with speakers like your front R & L set to large and the AVR or pre-pro set so that bass is still sent to the sub as well as the main R & L, i.e., for what some manufacturers call "double bass" or "SW Mode LFE + Main."  In many (most?) rooms with conventional speaker and listening seat placement, setting to large and one of the above AVR settings will cause uneven bass (dips and peaks) due to phase cancellation.  But not always.  In my room, from the MLP, as measured by REW (free online) and a calibrated measurement mic (~~ $100), as well as by ear, large and the above settings causes no dips, and a little extra bass punch.  I've tried it both ways for a period of months, and prefer the large setting with most movies and music.  If a source has too much bass, I try temporarily switching back.  Preference, not reference! 

Edited by Garyrc

I have the 82s and set to small with my sw 115 sub. The bass sounds so smooth and its the good bass that you can feel and not here. An explosion is a nice hit to the chest. Crossed at 80hz in the avr. Its slick how smooth and seamless the bass is with a quality setup.

Aaron I noticed the link to the Guide to Bass Management was missing in my last post.  I went back and put it in again.  I run my RF7's as small.  The small setting also allows for better power management of your system.

P.S.  Aaron make a signature with your system. :D

Edited by derrickdj1

You've got plenty of power. Keep the amp. Listen for a while at different cross points. 60 or 80. After re running audussey. Listen to some music in all channel stereo. Adjust your channel levels up to what sounds the best at your listening position. Enjoy. Awesome setup. Killer t.v. Welcome!!

Even running my RF 7's at 13 ft. from the main listening position in a 5300 cu ft. space, I have never used over 100 watts in a movie and speakers set to large.  Music does not even come close on the power usage as movie.

You set yours to large?

If less than 100 watts is necessary with speakers set to large, then even less would be needed with speakers set to small.  That may be derrickdj1's point.  But, extra headroom is always nice. 

But why would someone set speakers to large?  Although most experts (including the people at THX and Audyssey) urge people to set all speakers to small, with a crossover at about 80 Hz or 60 Hz, it's worth experimenting with speakers like your front R & L set to large and the AVR or pre-pro set so that bass is still sent to the sub as well as the main R & L, i.e., for what some manufacturers call "double bass" or "SW Mode LFE + Main."  In many (most?) rooms with conventional speaker and listening seat placement, setting to large and one of the above AVR settings will cause uneven bass (dips and peaks) due to phase cancellation.  But not always.  In my room, from the MLP, as measured by REW (free online) and a calibrated measurement mic (~~ $100), as well as by ear, large and the above settings causes no dips, and a little extra bass punch.  I've tried it both ways for a period of months, and prefer the large setting with most movies and music.  If a source has too much bass, I try temporarily switching back.  Preference, not reference! 

I ran my rf7ii large as well. The front stage sounded bigger and better (it sounded a little thiner with the xo). I just couldn't go small and lose that. 

Even running my RF 7's at 13 ft. from the main listening position in a 5300 cu ft. space, I have never used over 100 watts in a movie and speakers set to large. Music does not even come close on the power usage as movie.

You set yours to large?

If less than 100 watts is necessary with speakers set to large, then even less would be needed with speakers set to small. That may be derrickdj1's point. But, extra headroom is always nice.

But why would someone set speakers to large? Although most experts (including the people at THX and Audyssey) urge people to set all speakers to small, with a crossover at about 80 Hz or 60 Hz, it's worth experimenting with speakers like your front R & L set to large and the AVR or pre-pro set so that bass is still sent to the sub as well as the main R & L, i.e., for what some manufacturers call "double bass" or "SW Mode LFE + Main." In many (most?) rooms with conventional speaker and listening seat placement, setting to large and one of the above AVR settings will cause uneven bass (dips and peaks) due to phase cancellation. But not always. In my room, from the MLP, as measured by REW (free online) and a calibrated measurement mic (~~ $100), as well as by ear, large and the above settings causes no dips, and a little extra bass punch. I've tried it both ways for a period of months, and prefer the large setting with most movies and music. If a source has too much bass, I try temporarily switching back. Preference, not reference!

I ran my rf7ii large as well. The front stage sounded bigger and better (it sounded a little thiner with the xo). I just couldn't go small and lose that.
hey ref you tried your kpt on large. I have a couple times and couldn't really tell much of a difference. Maybe a tiny bit extra punch.

As I mentioned in another thread, gunshots on "3 days to kill" was overly exaggerated last night but it could have been the mix due to hearing pistol shots through my subs which is kind of a ridiculous idea.  I have rf-7ii's pretty close to the wall and running full range.  

My opinion on the RF-7ii's needing an amp is that generally speaking, you don't if you are not interested in hearing loss.  Of course my amp isn't calibrated yet but the night before last I watched the Metallica movie at -15 db and couldn't hear worth a crap all day yesterday, it was shaking and reverberating through the whole house even though I was running the same subs, and the ambient sound even past multiple closed solid core doors sounded just like a concert, it was nuts.  

Last night I watched "3 days to kill" at -25 db on a crappy Netflix mix and it was more than enough. -35 db was plenty comfortable.  That's running them full range too.  These things are WAY more sensitive than usual, so saying you need more power than usual to run them doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me.  

Whether or not you need an amp, at least assuming you have a high quality receiver, shouldn't suddenly lean towards the amp realm just because somebody gets RF-7ii's, if anything you need less power to achieve the same output.  It has more to do with how hard you run things, how big your listening room is, whether you are interested in a cooler running receiver and less noise, things like that.  

If you're worried about headroom... THX reference level is 85 db with 20 db of head room which is 105 db on the upper end.  A single RF-7ii is rated to achieve within 1 db of this with only two watts.  I kind of believe it too.  Normal speakers are often around 89-90 db, these are rated at 101.  Of course that diminishes the further you get away plus other variables, but once again that's dependent on how your run it and how far away you are.  

Personally speaking, I like to run stuff hard yet I cannot handle the output of my Marantz SR-7009 into RF-7ii's even running full range.  I may get a separate amp for my LCR's but that would only be due to taking advantage of Atmos, not because my receiver can't push these things hard enough.  I can easily get into the extreme overkill realm with my Marantz.  If I cut them off at 80 hz I can even run things significantly harder.  The idea that this still isn't enough for fairly close range listening is nuts in my opinion.  

There are other reasons to get an external amp but the idea that a quality receiver can't drive RF-7ii's hard enough for fairly close distances isn't one of them.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters