Which 2 channel McIntosh solid state is the best match for K-horns

Max2

Looking to pick up a used 2 channel SS McIntosh amp.  I know there are some folks here that have a lot of experience with them powering their K-horns and I have none.  I know I can count on the blue meters, but I am hoping for a sound improvement also.  I have considered picking up a Mac 5 channel amp to run everything, but I think I will concentrate just on two channel audio as this is where I am at 90+% of the time.

Thanks for your input

My understanding is the MC-352 is very highly regarded (aren't most of them?)

I've had some of their tube amps and decided if I ever bought another, it would be this amp.  (doesn't mean it's the best match for Khorns...  the reading I've done has primarily accused it of being 'very musical' (whatever that means))

Thanks guys.  I have considered the 7205 5 channel, but Im thinking I may get better sound out of one of the older 2 channel models. The modern two channel Mac amps are out of my price range.  The MC7200 and the MC7150 are both doable, but once again I have no listening time with any of these. 

I've mixed and matched my Mc gear with my Klipschorns (and with other heritage speakers). Currently running MC30's on my horns, but if you were going to pick a 2 channel SS amp, I'd go with the MC2105. Plenty of power, easily serviceable, sounds great, and classic looks.

In additional to my tubes, I've hooked up an Mc250, 2505, and a 2105. At low listening levels the differences are slight. If you want to crank it, or really do some detailed listening on a good turntable, I'd go with the 2105 for a SS choice.

• Like 1

I am also rather experienced with Mac amps both tube and SS, and for my money I like the "earliest four" in Mac SS - MC250, MC2100, MC2505, and MC2105. These are the most "tubelike" of the Mac SS and are an excellent match for KHorns or any of the big Heritage speakers. I am also a huge fan of MC30s on Heritage (midrange to die for, especially when serviced to top operating condition) but also find benefits in the MC60s as well as the aforementioned SS models, as the bass performance of these is better due to larger power supply.

but I am hoping for a sound improvement also. 

I'm not sure what amplifier you would be comparing to the McIntosh to determine an improvement and what you would consider an improvement; however, I will try to provide an overview of my experience with McIntosh.

While I've been exploring low power Class A SS Mosfet & JFET amplifiers and low power single-ended Class A tube amplifiers, I'm also a fan of the first generation McIntosh SS amplifiers with the autoformer output (MC 50 - mono blocks, MC 250, MC 2505 [blue meters], MC 2100, MC 2105 [blue meters]).

I believe that the autoformer (essentially the same as a transformer) may bring some of the qualities of the older tube sound that seems to be popular with those using this series of MC amplifier. I suspect that the McIntosh engineers/designers may have been more comfortable with transformers and the resulting sound may have been more palpable to the typical McIntosh customer at the time.

I don't remember if the McIntosh amplifiers are Class A/B or Class B; however, if you don't think you will need the extra 3 dB of headroom provided by the MC 2100 and MC 2105, then I would suggest the MC 50's (need 2 since they are mono blocks), MC 250 or MC 2505 for Klipschorns.

It has been awhile since I had my MC 250; however, I would describe the amplifier as leaning toward the lush, 'velvety, smooth' sound often associated with the McIntosh tube amplifiers. I wouldn't describe the soundstage as being "holographic" like my best tube amplifiers; however, I would describe the MC 250 as more dimensional than the soundstage that many SS amps seem to produce.

While I never had issues with the bass, the MC 250 does not have the bass 'slam' of something like my Concept 16.5 receiver. Of course this is not a fair comparison as the MC 250 has a damping factor of something like 10, while the Concept 16.5 has a damping factor of 450.

You can read about a few technical aspects of the McIntosh autoformers at the link below.

http://www.roger-russell.com/mcintosh1.htm#autoformer

I currently have a pair of MC 30 tube amplifiers now waiting for a full restoration and currently have this "McGainclone" (using a couple of LM3886 modules) that was a result of salvaging a destroyed MC 250 carcass. Lately I've been thinking about the TPA3116D2 chips for the MC 250 carcass and autoformers; however, I believe that the McIntosh magic may be primarily a result of the autoformers and I'm not sure if I would experience a significant difference from the LM3886 modules.

McGainclone 2.jpg

McGainclone 1.jpg

McGainclone 3.jpg

McGainclone 4.jpg

Edited by Fjd

but I am hoping for a sound improvement also. 

I'm not sure what amplifier you would be comparing to the McIntosh to determine an improvement and what you would consider an improvement; however, I will try to provide an overview of my experience with McIntosh.

While I've been exploring low power Class A SS Mosfet & JFET amplifiers and low power single-ended Class A tube amplifiers, I'm also a fan of the first generation McIntosh SS amplifiers with the autoformer output (MC 50 - mono blocks, MC 250, MC 2505 [blue meters], MC 2100, MC 2105 [blue meters]).

I believe that the autoformer (essentially the same as a transformer) may bring some of the qualities of the older tube sound that seems to be popular with those using this series of MC amplifier. I suspect that the McIntosh engineers/designers may have been more comfortable with transformers and the resulting sound may have been more palpable to the typical McIntosh customer at the time.

I don't remember if the McIntosh amplifiers are Class A/B or Class B; however, if you don't think you will need the extra 3 dB of headroom provided by the MC 2100 and MC 2105, then I would suggest the MC 50's (need 2 since they are mono blocks), MC 250 or MC 2505 for Klipschorns.

It has been awhile since I had my MC 250; however, I would describe the amplifier as leaning toward the lush, 'velvety, smooth' sound often associated with the McIntosh tube amplifiers. I wouldn't describe the soundstage as being "holographic" like my best tube amplifiers; however, I would describe the MC 250 as more dimensional than the soundstage that many SS amps seem to produce.

While I never had issues with the bass, the MC 250 does not have the bass 'slam' of something like my Concept 16.5 receiver. Of course this is not a fair comparison as the MC 250 has a damping factor of something like 10, while the Concept 16.5 has a damping factor of 450.

You can read about a few technical aspects of the McIntosh autoformers at the link below.

http://www.roger-russell.com/mcintosh1.htm#autoformer

I currently have a pair of MC 30 tube amplifiers now waiting for a full restoration and currently have this "McGainclone" (using a couple of LM3886 modules) that was a result of salvaging a destroyed MC 250 carcass. Lately I've been thinking about the TPA3116D2 chips for the MC 250 carcass and autoformers; however, I believe that the McIntosh magic may be primarily a result of the autoformers and I'm not sure if I would experience a significant difference from the LM3886 modules.

Very cool stuff Fjd

I have not owned  separates since the early 80's, but I had quite a bit of Fischer equipment back then.  I have been using AVR's ever since.  I have modified my K's quite a bit and figured they are really worthy of an outboard amp now, but maybe Im just peeing up a flagpole comparing  AVR power to another SS amp.  I was on a tube kick for a while, but after so much reading this and that and seeing some folks going back to SS from tubes, I figured I would just stick with a SS amp.  Looking at some of the sale prices of American multi channel amps really has me considering them, as they could run my whole 5 channel setup, but then again will I gain anything on the sound detail side or just more brawn from the strength of the amp?  I guess there are trade offs no matter what

I had my McIntosh MA6400 integrated amp hooked up to my Klipschorns for about a year and really liked the sound, never turned up the volume much though....eventually I bought my PP2A3 tube amps and moved the McIntosh up to my bedroom system driving Klipsch RB-5 speaker (those do sometimes get driven up to half way on the volume knob).  the older MC series SS amps are rumored to sound great as well.  If you don't want tubes, I think almost any of the vintage McIntosh SS stuff will please you.  warm regards, Tony 

I had Mcintosh solid state power on my Klipschorns a while back, I had the 2105 (recapped) and moved up to a 7106 and found a huge difference in sound, the newer model had much more clarity and high end detail, I guess people would call the 2105 "tubey" if high end rolloff is your idea of good tube sound. I picked up a 2205 at one point and hated it after having the 7106, sounded muffled compared to the newer stuff again. The fellow who I sold it to says it has "great bass slam".

I'm using newer VTL tube mono blocks now and not looking back at all.

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking to pick up a used 2 channel SS McIntosh amp.  I know there are some folks here that have a lot of experience with them powering their K-horns and I have none.  I know I can count on the blue meters, but I am hoping for a sound improvement also.  I have considered picking up a Mac 5 channel amp to run everything, but I think I will concentrate just on two channel audio as this is where I am at 90+% of the time.

Thanks for your input

GO HOGs!

Love the SS MC100 mono blocks and MC250's.  (and 2 MC250's bridged = 100wpc)  Both units have a tube like quality. 

tc

Alternatively., the McIntosh MA 5100 is a very nice option for Klipschorn duty. And is a musical choice with Klipsch Heritage and near Heritage. My MA 5100 is presently driving Klipsch Chorus effortlessly, Klipschorns should be even easier. I like the MA 5100 and MC 250 a great deal and recommend them. 

I have an MC 7150 with a MX 113 Pre, have had it hooked to LaScala's, Chorus ll's, Forte ll's and Hersey's. It is a fantastic ss amp, I don't see a 7150 for sale very often but when I do their pricey, if you can get a deal on one I wouldn't hesitate. Mine is a 95 I believe so it's not really that old, but I'm fixing to have it gone through...Roost