Heritage and Atmos design considerations

mustang guy

I am starting this thread for the specific purpose of discussing the ways some of us Heritage lovers can have full Atmos compatibility. Atmos has some very interesting specs including but not limited to either ceiling speakers or corner speakers firing up at the ceiling to reflect the sound down (mandatory), two center speakers (optional), more speakers (mandatory due to ceilings), and timbre matching all speakers (recommended). 

The problem with Heritage and even pro and cinema Heritage speakers is they are big and boxy. They would make crappy ceiling speakers because they are too directional, or at least the horn parts are.

In another thread, a person suggested Heresy's slanted atop Lascalas to reflect for ceilings. That's a great idea. It seems Heresy's are gonna be real popular because they are the most versatile Heritage. 

Thoughts??

• Like 1

Even though I'm not a heritage guy (yet) I'd still like to see what comes around for the new offerings before I get my head to delved into figuring out ways around things.  Might even be some work arounds in the coming months that don't require nearly as much thought.

• Like 1

Heck yes that's the answer kpt-8001 27 lbs kpt-8000m 14 lbs! The xx60 has a larger horn. So if price was only marginally more I'd get those.

Mustang if these were for your shop no doubt the larger would probably necessary. Although maybe not. Still gonna be a while before atmos channels are super demanded of I'm guessing.

• Like 1

I have enough problems with 7.1 so I just ordered a discontinued Denon X4000 for $729.00 because my old AVR is dying from a previous lightning storm. My side and rear speakers are hanging from the ceiling (too many windows and doors in the way) so I should already call this a Dolby 7.4.1 Pseudo Atmos Sort Of.

JJK

• Like 1

I think the Klipsch cinema speakers have this well in hand, and I just read a thing where the Indianapolis cinema installed Atmos last year with Klipsch. 

Lots of us mix cinema and Heritage, but are they enough of a timbre match, or should the heritage or cinema compression drivers be changed? I know it's too early to tell, but in the Atmos white papers, timbre matching between all speakers is paramount for matrix sound.

• Like 1