Ancient Cornwall Verticals ML-15 Portland, OR $1000

mungkiman

These would be the oldest pair I am aware of.  My BIL Gilbert's are like S/N's 280, 281 (1961) in Walnut and Cane, and this pair is older yet and lacquered mahogany to boot.  The woofer hole is cut smaller to load the woofer since it is rear ported.  The woofer is either a Jensen P15LL or the EV 15WK.  The K-1000 midrange/K-55 and chrome throat 16ohm screw terminal K-77.  The networks will be the hand wound bobbinized coil variety. 

I would pay $1000 for them without question.  Forum member Triceratops is in that neck of the woods and was a Cornwall afficianado but I have not seen posts from him in awhile.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1

who is in the truck now??   These are gorgeous!!! I'd be interested in the difference in sound between these and newer CW models.  I have a pair of 1963 (s/n 4B48 and 4B49)  that have the Jensen PL15LL woofer and chrome K77 tweeters, have those old bobbins in the networks too- bone stock. But nowhere as pretty as these wow. 

Edited by colterphoto1

These would be the oldest pair I am aware of.  My BIL Gilbert's are like S/N's 280, 281 (1961) in Walnut and Cane, and this pair is older yet and lacquered mahogany to boot.  The woofer hole is cut smaller to load the woofer since it is rear ported.  The woofer is either a Jensen P15LL or the EV 15WK.  The K-1000 midrange/K-55 and chrome throat 16ohm screw terminal K-77.  The networks will be the hand wound bobbinized coil variety. 

I would pay $1000 for them without question.  Forum member Triceratops is in that neck of the woods and was a Cornwall afficianado but I have not seen posts from him in awhile.

Yep - they are worth a grand most certainly. The northwest has a habit of turning out some really good vintage stuff for good prices. If I lived there I would have rooms full.

Speaking of Triceratops I have a pair of 1968 vertical Cornwalls obtained from him, and I paid $950 without even having to think about it. If I had it to do over I would do it again. Really good guy to deal with, and one of many really kind souls I've met on here.

these have the K-1000 horn

i have 2 Model H's with the same horn

your comments on the sound of the K1000 would be most welcome. I would not personally be interested in running a fifteen inch woofer up to meet a 1K horn myself not much of a plan. As a vintage speaker these do look great. Best regards Moray James.

hey Moray, i'm more of a collector than anything else. i have speakers for over 10 yrs and i've never turned them on including my Model H's that i'm restoring so your not going to get any comments from me anytime soon on how they sound. looks is everything to me plus the history of PWK's speakers. the older the better

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

hey Moray, i'm more of a collector than anything else. i have speakers for over 10 yrs and i've never turned them on including my Model H's that i'm restoring so your not going to get any comments from me anytime soon on how they sound. looks is everything to me plus the history of PWK's speakers. the older the better

I could not stand not hearing all those speakers if I had them it would drive me crazy. Keep collecting it is a good thing to do. Best regards Moray James.