New Year's Resolutions?

TasDom

well, i had already resolved to “do” more things in 2015; but, the doctor just gave me another one this morning.  Sunday noticed some numbing in both legs around the knee. seems that there is some swelling in lower back that is the cause. Starting Prednisone today in hopes the swelling goes away because the doctor said “it’s a huge surgery…we’d have to cut open your back.” i told him surgery was out of the question anyway.  So, i resolve to stop thinking I’m 21 (i'm really more than double that) and start doing the common sense stuff like proper posture and appropriate excersises to improve the health of my back. Physicals have always been fantastic and i very rarely get sick; but, 2014 was my least physically active year in awhile and weighed in this morning at 198 (that’s up from around 180 (two years ago).  I’m just at the age where i have to take things a bit more seriously in this regard.

Edited by BigStewMan

I have P90X also, and had to stop as I had surgery to repair a lingual hernia, part of my small intestine moved, and my appendix taken out. All at the same time on Thanksgiving 3 years ago. I then purchased the other one from them, the 25 minute workout that I haven't even looked at yet. It has taken me 2 years to recoupe from the surgery and I have played sports my whole life. So I wound up getting soft around the mid section. 

I am also 46 and play softball, basketball, and football in leagues and most of the people I play against are in their mid 20's to mid 30's. My issue now is my legs.I keep pulling my hamstrings now,and also have a bad knee. Ceca, depending on what you are looking to do physically, they now have this injectable gel that is supposed to act as cartilage and let you be able to run without pain.It's supposed to stop from having knee surgery.If you have the P-90, try the stretching and yoga more often,it helped me when I couldn't do the hard core stuff.

I am 5'9 myself and went from 187 up to 227 when I had the surgery, and then dropped down to 200 briefly. I am  now between 204-209, but am looking to drop back down to mid 180's to low 190's. I also just signed up to play baseball again in a league that I played in a few years ago. Guess I can't get the sports out of my system. But that is what has kept me young as well as with work doing manual labor sometimes. 

My New Year's resolution is to get a little more educated with audio, and to catch up with some of what some of you have on here equipment wise. I am very jealous with some of the stuff I see, but in a good way.

Awesome movie about good ol Austin. A Lawyer friend of mine snagged a credited bit part in that movie.

My wife and I watched it probably 3 times a week in college. I was (not so) secretly in love with Simone, aka. Joey Lauren Adams.

That probably accounts for much of your back issue.  Stay away from surgery if you can and don't let it get in the way of staying active.  Once you go sedentary, it only gets worse from there.

I've been dealing with similar issues, the sacroiliac joint in my lower right back is shot. Exercise hurts, but going sedentary hurts even worse. Its better to maintain at least some level of fitness even if it hurts. I used to run off-road half marathons and triathlons. Those days are long gone but running a couple of miles still feels like something is being accomplished.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators

Loose some weight AGAIN, no PX, running or anything that feels like it's killing me. Some pushups, sit-ups and the nautilus thing, I need to remember I am in no shape for serious exercise, I wish I was in Carls shape !  (except the knees) :blink:

Slow and steady is best for me, I went crazy once and hurt my shoulder, by the time I got better it was like starting over. :(

But most of all better eating which is where this whole problem started

Have a safe New Years.

Edited by dtel

That probably accounts for much of your back issue.  Stay away from surgery if you can and don't let it get in the way of staying active.  Once you go sedentary, it only gets worse from there.

I've been dealing with similar issues, the sacroiliac joint in my lower right back is shot. Exercise hurts, but going sedentary hurts even worse. Its better to maintain at least some level of fitness even if it hurts. I used to run off-road half marathons and triathlons. Those days are long gone but running a couple of miles still feels like something is being accomplished.

As long as we're going to air our ailments, I have trouble in my right side.  I thought it might be a hernia.  I thought it might be a muscle strain.  It starts to the right of my lower spine, goes down to the bottom of the spine, across the top of the buttock, over to the hip, around the front to the inguinal region and into the abs.  It's a nuisance.  I have concluded it is just a goofy nerve disorder of some kind that does not want to go away.  I deal with it.  It is not debilitating in the least.  It does not get worse with exercise.  Exercise actually gets my mind off of it.

I have researched into all sorts of ailments and anatomy to try to discern what it is.  This much I know:  If I leave it alone (stop trying to uber-stretch it and give it deep massage), it subsides.  I think a good part of it is psychological and current research is beginning to attribute more and more back ailments to psychology.  Strange, but it is what it is, and I will not let it get me down.  It's just a minor nuisance.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Knee replacements have a very high success rate. And, it eliminates pain. Could be something to look into.

It literally killed my grandfather. He went in and got it replaced. During recovery he tried to go to the bathroom. A big blood clot let loose and it bottomed out his heart rate. They didn't realize what was going on until he collapsed and they couldn't revive him. He had a heart rate monitor on but they had to take it off when he got up.

Legs are still fairly strong. There's no cushion left between the bones. Makes running more than a minute or so virtually impossible without pain.

Knee replacements have a very high success rate. And, it eliminates pain. Could be something to look into.

Limited range of motion and pretty much a last resort.  Extremely painful recovery.  My knee doesn't bother me unless I run.  It used to but I had a series of 5 rooster comb injections this year and it helped quite a bit.

Legs are still fairly strong. There's no cushion left between the bones. Makes running more than a minute or so virtually impossible without pain.

Make sure that you (k)need it.

• Moderators

Make sure that you (k)need it.

If you end up later doing that make sure you have a good doctor, my neighbor is going for his 4 th before long, the first two were not connected properly and was moving at the bone.