New Year's Resolutions?

TasDom

For all you 2015 dieters, the key is "calories in/calories out."  There are no short cuts.  You can eat all the fruits and veggies you want.  Look at the pic below of chicken stir-fry.  Sans a bed of rice, a very hefty plate of it is about 550 calories.  That's pretty good considering the mass of volume you get.  A plate that big is hard to finish.  I did a fair amount of that, varying it up with all kinds of mixes.  Fruits and veggies are a key to making the success easier.

The entire pan as shown in the picture is probably 650 calories.  

Chicken-and-Veggie-Stir-Fry-photo-300x22

• Like 2

It's absolutely positively my last resort.  I'm 57 now and the replacements have a finite life and can actually wear out.  If and when I ever have to do it, I only want to do it once.  Trust me, I've done a lot of reading and quiz everyone I know whose had one.

Legs are still fairly strong. There's no cushion left between the bones. Makes running more than a minute or so virtually impossible without pain.

Knee replacements have a very high success rate. And, it eliminates pain. Could be something to look into.

Good for 15 years, then whack em off and rehab again...

Roger

Can't wait to read Earls "buy less gear" statement :D

Mine would have to have something to do with getting back to some semblance of shape.

I am 46 and proud to say that this was my 2014 resolution which I succeeded at.  I was athletic in HS, and I am about as fit as I was back in my late teens.  It took a while.  I am 5' 10".  When I started in January 2014, I was around 205-210 pounds and looked like I was in my 3rd trimester.

First, walking an hour+ per day for a few months.  Backing off of breads/cheeses and creams and giving more favor to fruits and vegetables.  Target diet was roughly 1,500 calories per day.  The high fiber content of fruits and veggies allows you to stuff your gut without too many calories.  If you fall off the wagon a few days, you don't punish yourself or feel disappointed.  You accept it as a short "break" and get back on the wagon.

Then, some jogging.  Then, torn muscles that had to heal (getting old made getting athletic a bit precarious).  Also, calisthenics on a somewhat regular schedule off-and-on.  Finally, 175 pounds, descent muscle and the beginnings of a 6-pack.  My diet is not as strict as when I was losing weight.  I eat pretty much what I want, including ice cream and cereal.  

Among my age group, I now often find myself to be "the most 'fit' person in the room."  Good luck to you!  It can be done.

Congratulations, Outstanding.....

Knee replacements have a very high success rate. And, it eliminates pain. Could be something to look into.

It literally killed my grandfather. He went in and got it replaced. During recovery he tried to go to the bathroom. A big blood clot let loose and it bottomed out his heart rate. They didn't realize what was going on until he collapsed and they couldn't revive him. He had a heart rate monitor on but they had to take it off when he got up.

They should have no need to have taken the monitor off, irregaurdless, probably would not have made a difference anyhow as the Clot most likely went to the Lungs and caused a pulmonary embolism.

Roger

I worked a job for many years that required physical labor. I ate anything I wanted to eat and however much of it I wanted and continued to lose weight. When I retired at 60 I weighed 167 pounds (185 now). The last trainee I worked with was 30 years old and formally a defensive lineman for Mississippi State, later playing a few years of pro ball. One morning around daybreak he was dragging and I was prodding him on. I told him that this, right here, is the part of the job that I loved. The only part that I liked better was when I was down on my knees crawling. He looked at me like I was crazy. I told him that I understood that as a trainee the job seemed pretty overwhelming physically right now but I reassured him that the job would only get a hell-of-a-lot worse as the years rolled by.

Staying in shape physically is easy. You just have to do something physical. That said, it's hard to get around those genetics. Heart disease, in my case. One year after I retired I had a double by-pass. I stood it as long as I could. The heart surgeon said you'll breeze thru this. He was right. There's nothing to it. I even got a 20 year warranty from the surgeon. 

All to say that my New Year's resolution is to continue doing every day just exactly what I want to do. I don't worry about the trivial BS that I have no control over. I don't even worry about the trivial BS that I CAN control.

Here's hoping you fellas a Happy and a healthy New Year !

Keith

They should have no need to have taken the monitor off

He was almost 6'10" and 350 pounds. I think that contributed to the need to take it off.

I am a Cardiac Nurse, and do not see a reason why his size would make a difference, but as I stated before it probably would have made no difference... Sorry for your loss.

Roger