DeanG crossovers for La Scalas

sadie777

@Sadie777, I'm sorry, but I have no PM from you. You can email me directly using dgwescott@gmail.com. Phone is good too, and that's 937-823-9902. Be aware, I'm terribly backed up, but there's not much I can do about it. I have a compression fracture in my lower back, and work is moving slower than usual.

@Charles, there has been little to no interest in the Charge Coupled Crossovers. That was to be my value based product for everyone, but I guess the anxiety associated with a 9 volt battery being in a crossover proved to be too much! I almost took the network down from the site, but decided to leave it up, along with the associated information, because it's a solid engineering implementation that sounds really good. I don't know if you were around for this, but there were a half dozen independent listening tests, and all objections and criticisms were dealt with out in the open -- so I guess people just don't want batteries in their crossovers.

• Like 1

His ALK Jr that presents the amplifier a constant impedance is a good choice.  I am really wanting to try one of his DC designs that looks really intriguing.  Might try that in my Cornwalls or my front effects Heresy's.

Once I receive my new XO's from Dean I can send you my charge coupled Cornwall B-2's to demo. Dean upgraded my existing networks as part of his "focus group" efforts around that offering.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 1/16/2015 at 5:25 AM, Deang said:

Hey John, there's actually quite a bit of soldering my friend -- 40 places to heat up on a pair of AAs.

No problem! I have a Weller 100W Soldering Gun and a TON of rosin core 60-40 solder from Radio Shack! And like I said I KNOW how to solder!

John Kuthe...

31 minutes ago, Budman said:

this is a 4 year old thread

I Google Jupiter La Scala crossovers ands get diddley!

Maybe I'll go with Crites! And DOUBLE the capacitors in parallel! Sounds interesting, more power handling capability, same capacitance! :-)

John Kuthe...

9 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

I Google Jupiter La Scala crossovers and get diddley!

I think @Deang just sold a high-end Type AA with the Jupiter caps.  You might ask him your questions.

I feel like there are threads out there on XO's with the Jupiter caps, but you are absolutely right, it's hard to use the search functions either Google or the in-house search engine here. 

Try using different search terms for the lascala I mean lascalla I mean La Scala.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deang said:

He's using 60/40 and a soldering gun. He needs to stay away from crossovers. 

I have both large and small SS Hemostats/heat sinks if necessary. But if there's enough conductor/wire metal there the danger to the components is greatly minimized. Plus as I keep saying I KNOW HOW TO SOLDER! Well!

John Kuthe...

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Not that's funny!

But seriously, I use 2% silver and have for over 20 years...

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Not that's funny!

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Not that's funny!

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Not that's funny!

Incorrect four times? ??? 😉

Anyway, I have had this 60/40 for over 50 years I'll bet! And I like 50/50 better but this 60/40 is what I have and use.

John Kuthe...

DeanG said in the "Building the type AA" thread, regarding attenuation of the midrange in the type AA:

That's what I normally use.

If you're really into driving the loudspeakers to their limits, you should probably go with a 20 watt resistor.

I know it sounds stupid, but different resistor types do effect the sound - however, this is in parallel, not in series - and I've just never given that one much thought before. I just developed a habit of buying the best parts I could afford.

I use Mundorf when I feel like I need a higher powered resistor. Definitely overpriced, just like the rest of their stuff - but the quality is undeniable.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mundorf-20-watt/15.0-ohm-mundorf-m-resist-supreme-resistors/

I bought a pair of these to give that midrange attenuation thing a try. Is the recommended solder available at home improvement stores or is it something I need to order? Just wanna make sure this dummy here doesn't screw up Dean's beautiful work.....

I want to try this before I go asking to audition the more complex stuff or AA using Jupiters. Mine are V-Cap OIMP AAs and I've wanted to try this resistor "mod" to knock down the mids 3db. Dean suggested I try this a few years back and I never got to it. I've felt for a while that a simple attenuation of the midrange might well make me happier with these - not that I'm unhappy with them now, but I have felt that the mids needed to be knocked down a smidge.....

11 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:
12 hours ago, Marvel said:

Silver solderts require more heart, generally. - John Kuthe...

I have plenty of heart, just no skill.  B)