Do tubes do this?

juniper

I was listening to my amps yesterday and noticed that my 6ca7's were producing a heat mirage or wave above all four of them. it appeared to extend about 5 inches above the glass. Almost as if hot gas was coming out of them. The tubes are about 18" from a window, and the temp in the house was around 71.... Thanks any insight would be great!!

Yep them's some hot mutha's for sure. Owned three or fours amps with that tube and the excessive heat finally got to me. But

damn they sound good, great in fact. I had a pair of monos in a cabinet, smelled something burning and was actually burning the

finish off the wood. Give 'em plenty of space and enjoy---

Heat mirages are related to differences in temperatures and the refractive plain they are viewed at.  In the desert on a hot day the earth is hotter than the atmosphere so that the sky looked upon at low angles refracts and distorts the horizon line and makes it appear to shimmer as though it was water.  Often the sunset we watch shows a mirage sun that is already disappeared over the horizon but refracts through the atmosphere at low angles.  I suspect that the temp outdoors was colder and this came through the glass of the window.  There was a temp mirage to be seen at low angles above your hot tube array.  The mirage would disappear as you stood up and looked downward on the same circumstance.

Given that it's winter time, I'd guess it was similar to seeing heat rise off black pavement in the summer.  Temperature inversion....  either that or it was a signal to the aliens awaiting their surprise attack on your bathroom....

Then again, maybe the fumes you saw were from your bathroom?  :ph34r:

I was listening to my amps yesterday and noticed that my 6ca7's were producing a heat mirage or wave above all four of them. it appeared to extend about 5 inches above the glass. Almost as if hot gas was coming out of them. The tubes are about 18" from a window, and the temp in the house was around 71.... Thanks any insight would be great!!

Pat, Just make sure they aren't smoking!  Tubes and Humans should not Smoke! :lol:

Yep them's some hot mutha's for sure. Owned three or fours amps with that tube and the excessive heat finally got to me. But

damn they sound good, great in fact. I had a pair of monos in a cabinet, smelled something burning and was actually burning the

finish off the wood. Give 'em plenty of space and enjoy---

They do sound good, fast smooth and open with great bass

Heat mirages are related to differences in temperatures and the refractive plain they are viewed at.  In the desert on a hot day the earth is hotter than the atmosphere so that the sky looked upon at low angles refracts and distorts the horizon line and makes it appear to shimmer as though it was water.  Often the sunset we watch shows a mirage sun that is already disappeared over the horizon but refracts through the atmosphere at low angles.  I suspect that the temp outdoors was colder and this came through the glass of the window.  There was a temp mirage to be seen at low angles above your hot tube array.  The mirage would disappear as you stood up and looked downward on the same circumstance.

I think this is exactly what happened, at different angles it wasn't evident.... it sure looked strange

Pat, Just make sure they aren't smoking!  Tubes and Humans should not Smoke! :lol:

All good points, thanks again.....push...push...push

Thanks again to all, you guys are awesome..... cant wait to heat the house up later with these things, I still cant believe how hot the transformers get on my Pilot amp, the main one is the size of a large grapefruit and after a couple of hours it is uncomfortable to touch...

Thanks again to all, you guys are awesome..... cant wait to heat the house up later with these things, I still cant believe how hot the transformers get on my Pilot amp, the main one is the size of a large grapefruit and after a couple of hours it is uncomfortable to touch...

you could litterally light a cigarette on one of these -

you could litterally light a cigarette on one of these -

Or a joint?!!!