The Movie….American Sniper

Ceptorman

Never saw "Kill Bill." I was being much more general about "story telling." For instance, if someone wanted me to write a story about a sniper, I would cast it in a huge range of moral questions. Is a sniper the same as an assassin? Does every life deserve some form of due process? Was the sniper accounted for differently in other wars - WWII? Vietnam? Are there limits - what are they? What kind of accountability might be involved? Remember Ruby Ridge? Waco? What happens when the sniper turns his sights inward? What's the meaning of justice? Do wars have rules?

Based on what I've read, I believe the vast majority of these issues are addressed within the first couple min. of the movie. Now that the crowds have died down, I'll risk driving to the theater tomorrow, after which I'll be in a better position to confirm if this in fact the case.

With regards to accountability, the snipers are held 100% accountable to the rules of engagement.

Michael Kay, an MSNBC contributor no less, wrote a pretty good article on the movie.

Here's a quote;

American Sniper” is not about politics – it’s about exposing the impossible choices soldiers face in 21st century, asymmetric conflicts. Many who have never been directly exposed to the horrors of contemporary warfare were quick to judge."

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

My brother who is former army said the movie really showed how war messes with the participant.  It took him six hours or more after watching to start to feel normal again.  Kill Bill, for those following the recent thread, Mark, is completely unrelated.  It was an homage to martial arts movies of the past combined with spaghetti western themes and was as much as an inside love note besides being raw Tarantino visuals.  For your artistic sensibilities of story telling via Hollywood Kill Bill is way more up your alley, although a little knowledge or at least familiarity with classic kung fu movies is helpful.

Most all of my fellow military vet friends have avoided seeing it like the plague. We don't find much substance in trying to turn a sniper into a hero, and especially one who was sworn not to talk out of turn.

Like all of us, he was lucky to come home. For most, that was all we prayed for - to make it home. He seemingly sought to be elevated to a more exalted honor than just "veteran."

that is the code of silence of any sniper in action -

I find Eastwood to be a one note samba as an actor.

He directed that as well.

LOL That might be two reasons it didn't appeal to me. Most Hollywood fare is simply too superficial, too safe. I am not a fan of cheap propaganda. That is the standard critique of Hollywood and their elites. And, I agree with it. The business is 92% and the art is 8%. I get interested when the art reaches say, 50%. That's where risk begins to enter. That's where one is going to be facing some challenge. Bankers aren't interested in risk. DreamWorks is a banking operation for the most part.

Gran Torino wasn't at all what I expected, and I thought it was a really good movie. Had some nice surprises...

Bruce

• Like 1

When I go to a movie, I go for entertainment, if there is truth portrayed, then all the better. In the wake of the movies popularity there is much to read regarding its accuracy, in any case, I enjoyed how Mr. Kyle's purpose was so concretely portrayed. God, country, family. His mission was clear, on all front's, and he appeared to live accordingly but not without consequence. I found that refreshing and respectable.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” 
― Theodore Roosevelt

• Like 2

Wow...totally expected....classic.This thread is kinda like a movie, started out ok but now its the same old story, and ever so predictable.

You're only young once, BUT you can be immature forever.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending ........I'm just a Dude with that option...I never signed up to run Countries and stuff.

Most all of my fellow military vet friends have avoided seeing it like the plague.

Lots of my 3-gun buddies are former and active military, I haven't heard this at all.  

Most of my vet friends don't own a gun. As a result, we don't worship them, nor do we mythologize what we did or how we did it when we were serving. In that respect, we continue to maintain the long line of veterans from Vietnam, WWII, WWI, and the Civil War who served and then went home.

I have also met vets who love guns and loved using them in the recent wars.

Two different crowds.

Most all of my fellow military vet friends have avoided seeing it like the plague.

Lots of my 3-gun buddies are former and active military, I haven't heard this at all.  

Most of my vet friends don't own a gun. As a result, we don't worship them, nor do we mythologize what we did or how we did it when we were serving. In that respect, we continue to maintain the long line of veterans from Vietnam, WWII, WWI, and the Civil War who served and then went home.

I have also met vets who love guns and loved using them in the recent wars.

Two different crowds.

My uncle was on an Army recon team in the 80's, been in low key skirmishes in several places, notably central America, trained foreign special forces down there.  He loved the movie.  He also thinks civilians shouldn't be allowed to own semi-auto rifles but everyone should be able to own a pistol, so he's not very street smart either, although highly intelligent otherwise.  

Wow...totally expected....classic.This thread is kinda like a movie, started out ok but now its the same old story, and ever so predictable.

You're only young once, BUT you can be immature forever.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending ........I'm just a Dude with that option...I never signed up to run Countries and stuff.

just dont forget the draft - kids were enlisted to defend a country and they never looked back -they earned the freedom we enjoy - all these men & women who served did their duty - remember them , be proud of them - the fact that you had the option and never signed up does not mean that others had the same luck -

Edited by Randyh