New TV Which One

jcmusic

Three Plasma service centers have shut down in the last two years.

The GSA has pulled ALL plasmas from their "Defense" catalog, as well as Homeland security.

An OLED purchase would be staying ahead of the curve.

However it's hard to beat a Plasma for the "Blacks" part of the picture.

If one shopped for a plasma now, a deal could be had  as long as you know by the time it needs service, there will likely be none or Dam pricy at best.

• Like 1

All of the Pioneer Plasmas are Out of Stock on Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=pioneer+plasma+tv&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Not sure if Pioneer is still making them or not. 

Pioneer Elite ceased mfr'ing plasmas about five years ago.  Until very recently, the Kuro was the template by which all flat panel TV's were judged.  Samsung and Panasonic flagship models are now considered the Kuros equal in PQ.  Too bad after they both caught up they shut it down.

Bill

• Moderators

I agree with CECA....you can probably get a great deal on a Plasma.  They still produce amazing PQ and are known for deep blacks.  From my understanding, they tend to have better viewing angles but are not as bright as LED's.  I think it's safe to say the Plasmas are on their way out though as far as manufacturers actively pursuing them.

• Like 1

IMO, the best flagship plasmas trump the best flagship LED LCD's in picture quality.

That wasn't the question Billy boy.  LOL  :lol:   That's another thread entirely

Notice I always insert IMO when I am giving unsolicited "opinions". :P  :D

Bill

Plasmas have a sickening flicker like Cadillac taillights. They drive my eyes nuts.

I've never seen it nor has anyone ever mentioned it that has seen mine.

No flicker here.  But my Samsung does have the infamous plasma "buzz", though very faint.

Bill

Never heard of nor seen any flickering or noises from a plasma, certainly not my Samsung.  I got it Christmas of '13 at 1100.00 and am completely satisfied there is still nothing better for that same money at 60" 

If price is no object, OLED is the unquestioned best technology and that of the future.  Can't get more black than complete absence of light!  Further, I believe that as lines are built and production technology advances OLED will come on rolls from Home Depot.  My 1000.00 budget will probably cover a wall in less than 10 years, in a few more the whole room.   

Dave

All of the Pioneer Plasmas are Out of Stock on Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=pioneer+plasma+tv&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Not sure if Pioneer is still making them or not. 

They stopped years back. Nothing touched them since.  I had a G9 Kuro and it would kill anything made today.  I now have a bigger 60vt60 Panny that is very good, but still can't match a G9 or G9.5 Pioneer Kuro.  No way i can live with LED. OLED is my next hope once they get all kinks worked out.

Edited by CHASLS2

Plasmas have a sickening flicker like Cadillac taillights. They drive my eyes nuts.

I've never seen it nor has anyone ever mentioned it that has seen mine.

No flicker here.  But my Samsung does have the infamous plasma "buzz", though very faint.

Bill

never noticed that either.......but I can blame that on front row seats for black Sabbath back in the day....thanks ozzy!