Arguments for/against splicing speaker cable

richieb

Ok - and I am prepared for the flaming

I have a pair of 8 ft Kimber 4tc in a shotgun configuration. Too short for my KHorns on a 22 ft wall. So I can undue the biwire to give me 4 eight ft cables. Splicing two eight footers gives me 16 foot pairs - perfect. The 4tc is a damn nice cable that is doing nothing for me now. Would you do this? And how? Twist the ends together and electrical tape? Twist the ends and connect with a wire nut? OR am I nuts?!

• Like 1

If you want to get anal, twist and solder.  Otherwise, tape or wire nut.  Meh.  I am sure some purists will object but if you get somebody in there who says "Something is not right.  Did you splice your speaker cables???" I would invite them to leave.

Dave

• Like 1

Billy Bob

I am using runs of 12 gauge copper machine hook up wire which in itself sounds pretty nice- I think. So splicing the Kimber

would be my comparison. And you're right I've got nothin' to loose -

Let us know if/when you do it and the results then...like Dave just said, solder is as far as anyone could take it so, have spliced many a wire in my time with just tape, sometimes solder,depending.

There is also a plastic coating you can use instead of soldering or electrical tape. You can purchase it and once the wires are connected just brush it on. It goes in between the wires and seals them as a coating. Then do the same once both wires are coated. It won't allow anything in or out of the casing. I've done that with and without soldering.

Actually, just consider it rationally:  Many of the great amps are point to point wired, and every connection is basically a splice. 

Dave

True true

There is also a plastic coating you can use instead of soldering or electrical tape

May want some of that stuff.

Actually, just consider it rationally:  Many of the great amps are point to point wired, and every connection is basically a splice. 

Dave

^This

I was going to ask how many splices might there be from the power company, through your equipment to your speakers.  I doubt one more is going to hurt as long as it's tight.

Ok - and I am prepared for the flaming

I have a pair of 8 ft Kimber 4tc in a shotgun configuration. Too short for my KHorns on a 22 ft wall. So I can undue the biwire to give me 4 eight ft cables. Splicing two eight footers gives me 16 foot pairs - perfect. The 4tc is a damn nice cable that is doing nothing for me now. Would you do this? And how? Twist the ends together and electrical tape? Twist the ends and connect with a wire nut? OR am I nuts?!

Excuseeee, me, did you say Bi-Wire?

Yeah you did.

Splice the critters and two things will happen, first you get the length you need and second you get back to us and post any difference in sound quality.

Won't you ruin the "focus, transparency and transient speed of the 4TC" by splicing them together? Or will you somehow manage to maintain the "proven Varistrand conductor geometry" by twisting/soldering the strands back together?

(partial quotes above taken directly from the Kimber 4TC web page)

In other words, if you believe in the quality/sound of the 4TC enough to buy/use them... Then by definition splicing would mess that up, because you can't maintain the integrity of the original cable.

And if you're willing to do that, then the 12 gauge copper wire you're already using is probably good enough. And by your own admission "sounds pretty nice".

Sell the existing 4TC and put the money towards a new pair of the correct length (if you like the 4TC that much).

What I suggest you do depends on the material and your level of skill in making a splice.

From what I see, the Kimber is made up of four stranded wires which at the ends are stripped and twisted together to form the equivalent of a 13 AWG structure.  That is not quite a monster wire situation, thank goodness.

But your skill level?

Soldering is very good but if you have not done this before, this is not a situation to try the first time.

A crimp on butt connector would be very good.  You can find the crimp-ons at HD and the cheap tool.  I've read that a good crimp is as good as a solder and more easy for a beginner.  Squeeze hard.

Wire nuts of course work but are not esthetic and not so good if there is mechanical strain.

If you solder you can use heat shrink tubing.  Or there is the paint on rubber which you can find at HD or a speed shop - - but overall this seems messy.

The bottom line is that if you're new to splicing, the crimp connection is best.  Like I always say, it is tough to do something very well the first time.  So if you have some lamp cord sitting around you can take three or four strands to twist together to simulated the Kimber and practice on it.

WMcD

All good, sensible answers, thanks. I think I'll try the simple twist and tape method. But will do a meticulous job of interfacing each strand of copper to keep the Kimber focus and transparency! The cables will still be good to go as four eight foot lengths should the results be unsatisfactory, which as most of you said is doubtful.

Yeah Jim - what is the plastic coat you speak of - Plasti Dip?

This is my standard, if your not in a hurry, id sell those that you have and maybe buy some Knuconcept wire, Gage is up to you, but for 20+ years iv been sold on their 10Ga stranded, read/order here:

I know a lot of people think 10Ga is like Welding cable, this stuff is not, the wire strands are so fine, it does not seem like it's really 10Ga, with a soft PVC jacket, they also flow with any bends in the wire run.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/sp/kord-ultra-flex-10-gauge-speaker-wire/

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The electrons will be shocked into submission by the break in the wire and the dam (wall) you have created which will block their path. If they get really mad they might even melt the insulation or the wire itself. What possible good can that be for audio quality? Make sure you use pure silver solder.

:rolleyes:  :wacko:  :blink:  :lol:  :D  :P

Edited by artto

Another thought is an intelligence test for the late PWK.

If you believe the reports that he was a genius and had platinum ears, simply replace these too short wires with the correct length of zip cord.

If your sound is suddenly awful, PWK wasn't as smart as we think he was.

Dave

• Like 1