Vintage Mac SS

richieb

Although I have determined my Fast Lane top hat KHorns sound best with a KT66 SE integrated I wouldn't mind putting a vintage Mac in the mix. In mind are the 5100, 6100 or 6200. I would buy from a reputable restorer like Audio Classic or DeWick so to enjoy the piece at its full potential. Anyone with direct listening experience with any of the mentioned on KHorns or LS? Thanks

Not those models.......... but the 3 upper horns (L&R) in the system in my avatar run on 3 MC-250s (plus some pro amps for the bass and subs).  I also have another system with 2 MC-2100s.  Terry DeWick rebuilt all 5.  I have been very happy with these setups, and the performance of these amps with various models of Klipsch speakers.   Early ss and sounds like tubes with no maintenance.  All my tubes are in my preamps.

I have a MA6400 integrated I bought from audio classics in NY, I suppose it is not really vintage since it was produced in 1995 BUT...I loved the music they produced with my Klipschorns, but frankly they were much too powerful.  So I moved them to my bedroom system where they drive Klipsch RB-5s and installed a PP 2A3 amplifier.  Thus I dropped from 100watts/channel to about 5watts/channel and never looked back!  the models you mention are from the previous two generations (5100 and later the 6100-6200) but I assume they will both have the same family values.  these are good, clean, punchy amps with full sets of controls.  If you do decide to go for one of these get the lowest power model possible (the 5100 was 45watts/channel).  warm regards, tony

The MA5100 was the first McIntosh piece I owned, given to me by a relative (1974!!!).  I then bought a new MA6100 and later, a used 6200.  I listened to the 6100 and 6200 on Klipschorns.  My listening experiences aren't "negative" with either. 

The 6100 is a quasi-complimentary push-pull typical of the McIntosh solid state amplifiers available in the early 70s. From a design perspective, the 6200 is a generation ahead of the 6100 (quasi- v. fully complimentary outputs as one example). 

From a build perspective, the 6100 is old school McIntosh, heavy, electro-polished stainless steel chassis with "caged" pre-amp and amp sections, exposed multi-cap and a potted power transformer.  The power transformer on the MA6100 is exceptionally large.     

Good luck!

I have bi amped horns and bass bins such as my EV horns and my Jamboree bass bin with my MC2505 and it sounds wonderful. I have ran my MC2505 on my Drifts from Fastlane Audio and they sound wonderful.  Bottom line I don't think you can go wrong with either MC250, MC2505, MC2100, Or MC2105. I think there are some other more powerful units, but you wouldn't need 200 watts.

I have bi amped horns and bass bins such as my EV horns and my Jamboree bass bin with my MC2505 and it sounds wonderful. I have ran my MC2505 on my Drifts from Fastlane Audio and they sound wonderful.  Bottom line I don't think you can go wrong with either MC250, MC2505, MC2100, Or MC2105. I think there are some other more powerful units, but you wouldn't need 200 watts.

I use MC 2505 and MX113. I like the 2505 better than the 2105. Sounds smoother to me.

jerol

"There are coupling caps in the 6200 also. "

That was my point, the caps are more of an issue than the opamps, which is why I said

"The coupling capacitors cause far more distortion than the opamps (which may be upgraded when you upgrade the caps)."

Edited by djk

I love my 2105.  Sounds beautiful driving either my Cornwall or Heresy speakers.  A great match with Klipsch Heritage.

Interesting - because it was exactly this amp (in combination with a C29) which drove me into tubes. At the time (about 15 years ago... :o ) I found that combo far too harsh on my Khorns. Actually I should try the 6200 on them - instead of the MX110/MC30 which are connected to them at the moment - might be interesting.... :unsure:.

Wolfram

I've had a 2205 since it was new with LaScalas the entire time.

Sounds good to me and everyone else that's heard it.

Keep in mind 2 watts will take your head off with 104-105db 1w 1m speakers.

Whatever you are thinking about, your normal listening will be at less than .5 watt most of the time, this is the spec to look at on the amp.