Incredible Music Documentaries

swapface

......Rush: Beyond the lighted stage

......Jimi Hendrix: Here my train a comin'

......The Punk Singer

.....Big Star: Nothing can hurt me

....Upside down: The creation record story

.....Shut up and play the hits(LCD Soundsystem)

.....Ken Burns:JAZZ

.....If your a Metallica fan 'Through the never' Live show .......All of these are on Netflix now.

Edited by Audio Android

Muscle Shoals - IMDB - A documentary that celebrates Rick Hall, the founder of FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

Blown away by "Muscle Shoals".  

I watched the first half of it on Netflix on my PC because my SMART TV would not connect to the internet so therefore not to Netflix.  The story was great and also the music.  The audio was mixed perfectly for stereo and sounded great even on my PC rig.

I watched the other half today on my family room rig since now my TV was connecting to the internet.  The Dolby Digital 5.1 mix was of the same fantastic quality as the stereo mix and sounded absolutely wonderful through my RF-63/RC-64/RS-35 setup.  If even a portion of the music out there was recorded and mixed with the quality of "Muscle Shoals",  then real music just might make a comeback.

Two  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21: for Muscle Shoals.

Bill

• Like 2

You got to watch "Oil city confidential" I ran across it on Dish one night and had to watch it again. It's about a band called Dr. Feelgood, whom I never heard of before. The guitar guy is crazy and very entertaining. I need to look to see if its on netflix. Not a documentary but one of my favorite movies is Cadillac records, if you like the blues you need to watch this and Beonce can sing the blues it will give you goose bumps when she sings the last song. My favorite of all is. I give you a clue. "But this one goes to 11.

You could start and end with the Funk Brothers. I was born in '61, and grew up on Motown. These guys WERE Motown, and never got the credit in America.

Growing up in the midwest, everyone wanted to be Motown. Even the dorky white boys with two left feet had dreams of throwing down a slick choreographed dance step like the slick chills in all the Motown acts.

• Moderators

You could start and end with the Funk Brothers. I was born in '61, and grew up on Motown. These guys WERE Motown, and never got the credit in America.

Growing up in the midwest, everyone wanted to be Motown. Even the dorky white boys with two left feet had dreams of throwing down a slick choreographed dance step like the slick chills in all the Motown acts.

JWC would totally agree with you on that.

He has sent me some awesome funk mixes.

Travis

......Rush: Beyond the lighted stage

......Jimi Hendrix: Here my train a comin'

......The Punk Singer

.....Big Star: Nothing can hurt me

....Upside down: The creation record story

.....Shut up and play the hits(LCD Soundsystem)

.....Ken Burns:JAZZ

.....If your a Metallica fan 'Through the never' Live show .......All of these are on Netflix now.

The Jimi Hendrix 

"Here my train a comin"  was excellent. I believe its on Netflix...

• Moderators

Does anyone have a music documentary they can recommend about a specific labels? I was recently in Half Price Books and picked up a great book on the story of Casablanca Records. I'd love to see if there is one to watch.

Factory Records

Rough Trade, by BBC if I recall correctly.

Netflix has one now called Our Vinyl Weighs A Ton about the Hop Hop lable Stone's Throw Records.

For a great book about Elektra Records I liked Holzman's book about the lable he founded, and Wexler's book about his Atlantic Records is indispensable in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Does anyone have a music documentary they can recommend about a specific labels? I was recently in Half Price Books and picked up a great book on the story of Casablanca Records. I'd love to see if there is one to watch. 

This Ain't No Mouse Music is on Netflix right now and is an excellent documentary about Chris Strachwitz, the owner and founder of Arhoolie records in 1960.  He started out much like Jac Holzman, recording "folk music."  However, he stayed low key, and it was very interesting how he goes out and finds this music and gets it down on tape.  

He started recording lost blues treasures like Lightin' Hopkins and Big Mama Thorton, getting down local Tejano greats such as Flaco, Cajun, etc.  

He has recorded Artists who have recorded for the Arhoolie label include: Big Mama ThorntonBig Walter HortonDave AlexanderNathan BeauregardJuke Boy BonnerClifton ChenierElizabeth CottenSue DraheimJesse FullerEarl HookerJohn JacksonMance Lipscomb,Guitar SlimRobert ShawMississippi Fred McDowellWhistlin' Alex Moore, George 'Bongo Joe' Coleman, Charlie MusselwhiteDoctor RossBukka WhiteBig Joe WilliamsSilas HoganMercy Dee WaltonBlack AceThe Campbell BrothersBeauSoleilJerry Hahn, the Savoy Family Band, the Pine Leaf BoysLos CenzontlesThe KlezmorimRose Maddox, and the Rebirth Brass Band.  

I highly recommend it if you have Netflix.

Travis

• Like 1