They don't make them like they used to....

Jeff Matthews

I don't remember what show it was (possibly the Science Channel) that I watched but it conducted an experiment on refrigerators.  They went to the local dump and unearthed as many refrigerators as they could find.  Next they removed the compressors and hooked power up to them.  Every one of them ran.  I believe they concluded that in most cases the electronics elsewhere in the refrigerators failed causing them to be thrown out.  

I suspect the answer is far more "Western" than that.  Our appliances have become fashion statements.  Tired of looking at that old, black oven?  Look at this new, sexy stainless model!  Wow!  What curves!

I would be willing to bet a large portion of them worked.

My appliance sales/serviceman was here on a visit about a year ago, and I asked him about the long term prognosis on my fridge (about 25 years old).

"Should I consider a modern upgrade and be done with it for another 25 years, or should I ride with the one I have and replace it if/when it fails?"

He says "Keep the one you have. You might consider having me redo the door seals, then keep it for another 25 years."

He then goes on to explain how the new fridges and appliances have circuit boards and such for energy efficiency that fail on an all too regular basis, and most of them he can't even get parts for. Boards are failing a year or two out from purchase, under warranty, and these manufacturers can't deliver the new boards. He buys up appliances from estate and moving sales, as well as rescuing many appliances from attempts to dispose of them, and gives them minor service and refurb - then resells them, He states over and over that his most reliable product is the older models, and recommends those over the shiny new stuff, because the repairs on the older equipment is less frequent and easier to repair when it is needed.

I have always bought my appliances from him and only rarely do I need a service call, but when I do he always recommends the repair over replacement.

And of course vintage McIntosh and Klipsch prove again that refurb is almost always preferable to buying new gear - and they are plenty fashionable. The most fashionable stuff in my world is the stuff that performs for years and years.

As for cars, the newer models are better for the purpose. They run longer, and the driver is safer in a crash. The heavy frame chrome and interiors of the 50's and 60's have an allure to be sure, but you don't want to crash in one. Cars today are much more reliable (especially Honda and Toyota) and safe, even if they are a bit plastic-y and cheaper on the interior.

So older appliances, older audio, and newer cars, Alex :)

• Moderators

Ha ha ha you old poots !! I love this thread. One thing that is funny, is that many younger people don't realize how well those old Beetles handle the road. It might have little power, but to be a bubble, have such skinny tires and antiquated technology in steering even by it's day's, those things drove like a racing go kart.

Bryant

They were great in the snow too.  All the weight of the engine and transmission sitting on those skinny tires in back.

I prefer ALL rear wheel drive cars to front wheel drive cars in snow. You can drive the front wheel drive a little faster because of the engine sitting over the tires, but the rear wheel drive has a large window of speed wear it feels squirrely before it goes out of control. Front wheel drive cars feel pretty safe, then they let go, and try correcting a sideways skid in a front wheel drive compared to rear wheel drive!

Roger

I always wondered about that.  Do you correct for oversteer the same way in a front wheel drive car as you do with a rear wheel drive?  Counter-turn into the direction of the skid?  

I have never owned a front wheel drive, but always seem to get a rental with front wheel drive when there is snow on the ground but fortunately never had to find out.

I had an all wheel drive car, a couple of them now that I think of it, and they both had fantastic grip, and as the real wheels started to break traction the front wheels would bite more.  One was rear engine, one front engine.

I always wondered about that. Do you correct for oversteer the same way in a front wheel drive car as you do with a rear wheel drive? Counter-turn into the direction of the skid? I have never owned a front wheel drive, but always seem to get a rental with front wheel drive when there is snow on the ground but fortunately never had to find out. I had an all wheel drive car, a couple of them now that I think of it, and they both had fantastic grip, and as the real wheels started to break traction the front wheels would bite more. One was rear engine, one front engine.

I've always thought they would act differently and have to be driven differently.  In a rear wheel car if you're skidding and apply throttle, the rear will get looser.  In a front wheel car, applying throttle should help regain control as the steering wheels are pulling also.  Just a thought on my part, don't go out and try it.

All wheel drive is definitely the way to go.  We used an all wheel drive BMW X3 on a trip one time.  The heavens opened up and there was standing water all over the interstate.  That vehicle felt saver and in control more than anything I've ever driven in my life.

Ha ha ha you old poots !! I love this thread. One thing that is funny, is that many younger people don't realize how well those old Beetles handle the road. It might have little power, but to be a bubble, have such skinny tires and antiquated technology in steering even by it's day's, those things drove like a racing go kart.

Bryant

They were great in the snow too.  All the weight of the engine and transmission sitting on those skinny tires in back.

I prefer ALL rear wheel drive cars to front wheel drive cars in snow. You can drive the front wheel drive a little faster because of the engine sitting over the tires, but the rear wheel drive has a large window of speed wear it feels squirrely before it goes out of control. Front wheel drive cars feel pretty safe, then they let go, and try correcting a sideways skid in a front wheel drive compared to rear wheel drive!

Roger

I always wondered about that.  Do you correct for oversteer the same way in a front wheel drive car as you do with a rear wheel drive?  Counter-turn into the direction of the skid?  

I have never owned a front wheel drive, but always seem to get a rental with front wheel drive when there is snow on the ground but fortunately never had to find out.

I had an all wheel drive car, a couple of them now that I think of it, and they both had fantastic grip, and as the real wheels started to break traction the front wheels would bite more.  One was rear engine, one front engine.

It is more difficult to over steer a front wheel drive car but if you start to slide you definitely want to hit the throttle. The only way you can drift a FWD car is by getting into the turn then suddenly letting off the gas pedal:

I think the best bet would actually be to counter steer and hit the throttle while left foot braking which sounds weird but the brakes on the front will actually work like a locking diff on the front axle.