They don't make them like they used to....

Jeff Matthews

We often hear this about cars.  Cars are actually made WAY better these days, and so is pretty much everything else.

Except refrigerators.  When I was a kid, the only way you could leave a refrigerator door open is that it had to be conspicuously open.  Nowadays, you can leave it ajar with it so close to the closed position that you can't tell it's ajar.  So, now, they have alarms that go, "ding, ding, ding."

I don't know why on earth they can't make them shut like they used to.  If the door was almost closed... "Ssssskkk!"  It pulled itself shut!

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

Um......... if you adjust the feet levels on them the doors will pretty much close by themselves.  Y'know lower on the rear and opposite the hinged side of the door.

And I think modern vehicles are designed to fail.  They are better engineered in that the timing of the failure occurs 5 days after the warranty ends and that's good engineering.

• Like 2

No doubt cars have all kind of new engineering and are safer less pollutants etc etc etc......But they have way less style and are beyond ridiculous to work on now days you need a degree in computer science to figure out how the fuel is delivered

I will go back to the 70's happily with my personal transortation

Read countless incidents now days where car manufacturers will let a known problem exist because it is cheaper for them 1 example ford a4od transmission 

We often hear this about cars

Yeah, I thought I was raised with real steel cars and such until I had the opportunity to open and close the doors on a 20s Cadillac that had be meticulously restored.  It operated with a smoothness that was hard to believe, but the main thing was that it had the mass of a bank vault. 

Absolutely incredible.  The metal in that thing was to a 50s car what a 50s car is to a modern one.

Granted, I'd prefer to be in a wreck in a modern one but I've no doubt the CARS came out in better shape after a wreck back then even if the driver was ejected through the wind shield...

Dave

Except refrigerators. When I was a kid, the only way you could leave a refrigerator door open is that it had to be conspicuously open.

While I would agree in general, the PAW just got us a new Samsung (fizzy water in the door...Woot! Woot!) a couple of months ago and the Fry's delivery guys set it up perfectly.  Doors close nicely unless opened fully. 

Dave

Ah!  Leveling. Something the other engineers missed.  I'll check into that.

Speaking of cars, all you have to do is take a good drive in a car from the 50's or 60's.  The ride is horrible. It is loud.  The brakes will scare you.  You are essentially driving a dump truck and expected to stop it like the Flintstones.  

Sure you can work on them, but why would you want to have one?  (Except as memorabilia, of course).

• Like 1

Got to ride in a 50's era Roll Royce that'd been restored.  They're named 'Silver Cloud' for good reason.  There are modern cars that are very noisy and uncomfortable too.  I'd agree they are all safer and more efficient.  But still you get what you pay for when it comes to creature features.

Ha ha ha you old poots !! I love this thread. One thing that is funny, is that many younger people don't realize how well those old Beetles handle the road. It might have little power, but to be a bubble, have such skinny tires and antiquated technology in steering even by it's day's, those things drove like a racing go kart.

Bryant

Ha ha ha you old poots !! I love this thread. One thing that is funny, is that many younger people don't realize how well those old Beetles handle the road. It might have little power, but to be a bubble, have such skinny tires and antiquated technology in steering even by it's day's, those things drove like a racing go kart.

Bryant

LOL!  And if your friend had one, you could always tell when he was within 3 blocks of your home.  They were good for making sure you had advance notice of the time of arrival.

Bryant

They were great in the snow too.  All the weight of the engine and transmission sitting on those skinny tires in back.

We often hear this about cars.  Cars are actually made WAY better these days, and so is pretty much everything else.

Except refrigerators.  When I was a kid, the only way you could leave a refrigerator door open is that it had to be conspicuously open.  Nowadays, you can leave it ajar with it so close to the closed position that you can't tell it's ajar.  So, now, they have alarms that go, "ding, ding, ding."

I don't know why on earth they can't make them shut like they used to.  If the door was almost closed... "Ssssskkk!"  It pulled itself shut!

Is it safe to assume you woke up this morning and found some food that needed to get thrown away?

If the door was almost closed... "Ssssskkk!" It pulled itself shut!

Didn't catch that part until Gilbert's quote of it.

Only frost free did or does that.  I spent half my life before having one of those.  All the rest was done by simple correct leveling, though when I was really young many had latches requiring positive operation.

Dave

When I was a kid there was a Friedrich compressor on top fridge in the window of the power company downtown with a sign on it that read "This refrigerator has been in continuous operation since 1927."  It was in there until the power company moved sometime in the 80s.  The new building owner remodeled the top floor as a home and uses it as a beer fridge.

Dave

It would be trivial to design a refrigerator that would last 50 years. Maybe even more.

But, it would not be a good business decision.

I don't remember what show it was (possibly the Science Channel) that I watched but it conducted an experiment on refrigerators.  They went to the local dump and unearthed as many refrigerators as they could find.  Next they removed the compressors and hooked power up to them.  Every one of them ran.  I believe they concluded that in most cases the electronics elsewhere in the refrigerators failed causing them to be thrown out.

I had an icebox for years and sold it about 5 years ago to someone who wanted to restore it.  The thermostat was finicky but the compressor and Freon related parts all were all original and worked great.

post-13087-0-80100000-1424711751_thumb.j

Bryant

They were great in the snow too.  All the weight of the engine and transmission sitting on those skinny tires in back.

I prefer ALL rear wheel drive cars to front wheel drive cars in snow. You can drive the front wheel drive a little faster because of the engine sitting over the tires, but the rear wheel drive has a large window of speed wear it feels squirrely before it goes out of control. Front wheel drive cars feel pretty safe, then they let go, and try correcting a sideways skid in a front wheel drive compared to rear wheel drive!

Roger