Adages........

oscarsear

You can find adages, proverbs and idioms in almost every aspect of literature, movies and entertainment in general. 

Probably the two that I’ve seen over-used in various corporate settings; “Life’s like a box of chocolates……” and “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.”  The movie Forrest Gump has spawned several others too and I still love the movie “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” regardless of the retarded ways I’ve seen it used in business.

Maybe instead of "life's like a box of chocolates" life is more like "Life is like a jar of habanero and jalapeno peppers, what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow."

I'm always amazed in how many used in various settings can be traced back to Aesop's Fables or the Bible.

Here are a few that I like and find amusing;  

Some say that early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise; I say it only makes Jack a dull boy.

Some say that the early bird gets the worm; I say it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Some say the squeaking wheels get the first grease; I say the squeaking wheel will get replaced.

Some of the most difficult decisions in life involves knowing which bridge to cross and which bridge to burn.

Life is the only school where Exams comes before the Lessons.

If you try to walk on both sides of the fence, you'll get a splinter in your butt!!

In 20 years, you will be more disappointed by what you did not do, than by what you did.

There are two words that will open many doors for you: Push and Pull

Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass; it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.  Or in Earl's case given the snow storms he has endured this year, it's about learning to make snow angels in the snow. :o

Scientists say the world is made up of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons. Hell, we know they got it wrong as they forgot to mention Morons.

More business related;

Murphy’s Law: If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong

The Peter Principle: Every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.

Dilbert Principle: The most ineffective workers are systematically moved to the place where they can do the least damage: management!

TANSTAAFL:  There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (often used in engineering/design decisions involving audio)

One of my favorites since I’m surrounded by too many people that try to overthink everything and always miss the obvious;

Occam's Razor: The simplest answer is often correct.

I can’t forget about Confucius;

Woman asks:

"If I sleep with 3 men, everyone calls me a ****. But when a man sleeps with 10 girls, everyone calls him a real man. How come?"

Confucius replies:

"t's very simple. Confucius say 'When one lock can be opened by 3 different keys, it's a bad lock. But when one key can open 10 different locks, we call it a master key!'."

:o 

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

It sure seems that the “bumper sticker” is one of the more common methods of communicating adages today. 

I've noticed that one in particluar can be a big help in working on the old homestead;

You only need two tools in life; wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

There also seems to be a lot of bumper stickers offering advice on relationships and explaining relationships too;

Marriage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning all you need is 2 hearts and one diamond. Down the road there are days you wish for a club and a spade.

Men have feelings too. For example, we feel hungry.

My girlfriend can't wrestle but you should see her box.

My wife and I enjoyed 25 wonderful years... then we met.

My wife comes with instructions... many, many, many instructions.

Some marriages end well. Others last a lifetime.

Somebody told my friend that his wife was cheating with this best friend. He killed the dog.

It's cheaper to keep her.

There are many reasons for the divorce, but the most important one was, and continues to be: MARRIAGE.

These days FIDELITY can only seem to be found in music systems.

:o

Edited by Fjd

Ann Landers published a letter from a person who was complaining about some situation which was somewhat trite.  She replied:  "I think you should count you blessings and quityerbitchen.  That has gotten me past some things. 

Re early bird . . . so don't be an early worm.

WMcD