Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

Tesla at # 1 is hardly a surprise. It's an elitist cult car for those wanting to make an environmental statement. A 1%'er's Prius. I'd bet a Tesla could fall apart around its owner and they would still vote it all 10's. They would be voting against themselves to rate it any lower. 

23 minutes ago, richieb said:

I'd bet a Tesla could fall apart around its owner and they would still vote it all 10's

Reviewers I've read vote all Tesla products at 10 for quality, design, and value.  Top of the line S3 with autonomy and 300 mile range at a bit over 40k after tax rebates...not cheap, but still a better investment that will last indefinitely and still be state of the art.  

Dave

22 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- Yes ---

Really more of a "which," as resistance is both futile and not very intelligent.  One person early in this thread posted that they'd get his steering wheel from his cold, dead hands.  My response was that it happens many times every day and that was one of the best reasons to look forward to this technology as the death rate will plummet to basically what insurance calls "Acts of God."  

Dave

7 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Really more of a "which," as resistance is both futile and not very intelligent.  One person early in this thread posted that they'd get his steering wheel from his cold, dead hands.  My response was that it happens many times every day and that was one of the best reasons to look forward to this technology as the death rate will plummet to basically what insurance calls "Acts of God."  

Dave

Since it seems one of the only acceptable political statements here and as one famous member states and you've just alluded above AV technology will see "resistance" from me -- (and yes I know ultimately my resistance will too fail).  

@dwilawyer the idea is far fetched, but it presumes that inorganic life is the natural nest stage for Earth, and that when we are no longer the fittests, we just need to fade away.  I understand that NASA is now looking for inorganic as well as organic life. I don't want that kind of world before or after we are replaced.  And I think that the fight to stop it starts now.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, Mallette said:

resistance is futile sayeth the Borg.

A fictional reference is appropriate for fictional vehicles. Autodriving cars will be sold, the money saving promises of AV safety will not be realized,  the life saving promises won't happen and full automation  will be restricted to certain roads. It will be 20-30 years before this technology is mature enough to be trusted. That pie is going to stay in the sky for a while.

Air bags were supposed to save 10,000 lives per year. It took 10 years for airbags to save 10,000 lives. The overstated claims of AV hopefuls are equally optimistic and unrealistic.

BTW, Dave, have you bought one of these AVs yet? ;)

4 hours ago, Don Richard said:

BTW, Dave, have you bought one of these AVs yet? ;)

Not yet, but very soon.  Probably an AV capable Tesla 3.  They are a bargain and can save lives already.  You should be aware that your pessimism is well beyond that of the AV critics...who are retreating every day.

We shall see.

Dave

"The Tesla owner's manual says that Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, which is part of the Autopilot system, "cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead."

Pretty clear, isn't it?  I've never said that AV was ready for hands off...but incidents like this, the previous idiot suicide, and such will make it ready very soon.  

Dave

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Nobody reads the owners manual Dave.  Everyone knows that.

Seems like information that important ought to at least be on the window sticker.  It's interesting that this is a known issue, and still, it's allowed on the road.  I guess you gotta test, but sounds a bit dangerous if that parked car was full of kids.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Nobody reads the owners manual Dave.

I know you are in the business...but fact is that some of us DO read the manual.  Futurist fantasizer as I may be, fact is I am a realist.  I ain't sucking a bong and having a whisky for a while in an AV until the owners manual says it's OK.  Don't think that will be long, but it is NOT now.  Present AV can certainly handle the sparse traffic and predictability of the open road better than me most of the time...but the driver is still required and must be ready to act if required until there is sufficient data to exceed human performance by a considerable margin.  While the semi fatality and this fire truck thing luck dumb to us, I can see the issues software would have with them...different from our perception.  But once the software is fixed, that particular issue is no longer possible...something you can't do with humans.  We make the same dumb mistakes over and over.  

Dave