Hey lawyer dudes

USNRET

I was passed out in a ditch when they found me and I didn't want to see my dash cam footage played in court. So I decided to save money on a lawyer and just take responsibility for my actions. After 15 months of probation and $10k in various fees and services I had learned my lesson.

This article makes me angry.

Guest Steven1963

Animal Farm.

We are no longer a Nation of Laws, we are a Nation of Men.

I wonder how long it can last.

Edited by Steven1963

This is typical.  I don't see the big deal.

People who are generally-perceived as "respected" citizens are treated with more leniency.  Usually, their accomplishments (or lack thereof) tend to tell you whether they are the type that needs a good whoopin' or not.

Why not cut an accomplished, first-time offender some slack?  I'd rather see that than the "zero tolerance," "one size fits all" disciplinary policies that schools, for instance, implemented in order to avoid perceived "favoritism."  When assessing whether to punish and to what degree, a person's accomplishments ought to be considered.  Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

People who are generally-perceived as "respected" citizens are treated with more leniency.  Usually, their accomplishments (or lack thereof) tend to tell you whether they are the type that needs a good whoopin' or not.

Why not cut an accomplished, first-time offender some slack?  I'd rather see that than the "zero tolerance," "one size fits all" disciplinary policies that schools, for instance, implemented in order to avoid perceived "favoritism."  When assessing whether to punish and to what degree, a person's accomplishments ought to be considered.  Just my 2 cents...

while I might tend to agree with this on some levels, I can not with judges or police, How can one charge / judge someone for failing to follow a law when they themselves do not follow it............................Hypocrisy at the highest level

Agree with Carl  POS.

while I might tend to agree with this on some levels, I can not with judges or police, How can one charge / judge someone for failing to follow a law when they themselves do not follow it............................Hypocrisy at the highest level

Agree with Carl  POS.

That depends.  Do we have any evidence that she sentenced first-time offenders to hell?  

Judges are supposed to be people, too.  I know if I was standing before a judge, needing a little mercy, I'd sure want that judge to see me through human eyes.  I wouldn't want some infallible, intolerant judge judging me.  I would be afraid of that.

Judges are in very powerful positions.  I think they ought to be able to relate and sympathize with normal people who find themselves caught-up in their own bad judgment.  Yes, people need to pay the price for their bad judgment, but the price they pay should be a fair one.  I think you might tend to get a more fair price from a judge who knows how to put a price on something through his/her own experience.

If this judge is a decent person, then, I imagine that from now on, she will temper her rulings in DWI cases by her own experience.  After all, the state bar could have come down on her much harder.  She got a break.  These kinds of things can shape her into an even better judge.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

Can't read the story as I am not a subscriber.

However, she is very attractive. At least that gives you something to think about while in jail.

Try to weigh the positives and negatives! After all, justice is a balancing of the equities.

For those who can't read the story, a Corpus Christi judge was arrested for DWI.  It was videotaped.  She was trying to get the police to let her go by saying she was a judge.  That did not work.  Eventually, the DWI charge was dropped, but she plead to (I think) reckless driving or something less.  The state bar gave her a public censure (or whatever they call it).  Basically, no adverse treatment, except for a slap on the hand.

For those who can't read the story, a Corpus Christi judge was arrested for DWI.  It was videotaped.  She was trying to get the police to let her go by saying she was a judge.  That did not work.  Eventually, the DWI charge was dropped, but she plead to (I think) reckless driving or something less.  The state bar gave her a public censure (or whatever they call it).  Basically, no adverse treatment, except for a slap on the hand.

Absolutely inappropriate. How can she ever sit on a DWI case again?

DWIlawyer?

Sorry, didn't a subscription yesterday. Yep, she got zip, nadda. I saw the dash cam version when it happened and any other citizen would have been been under the jail for the way she treated the cops.

I was wrong, she was punished. She was required to apologize.

Edited by USNRET

Guest Steven1963

attachicon.giflady justice.jpg

Can't read the story as I am not a subscriber.

However, she is very attractive. At least that gives you something to think about while in jail.

Try to weigh the positives and negatives! After all, justice is a balancing of the equities.

I don't see a blindfold on that lady-justice statue. She must have seen that she a judge and turned to ignore the whole damn, rotten, stinking, mess.

Edited by Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

This smells of a cover-up.  First, they had her clearly for DWI but no such charges were ever filed. This allowed a circumvention of the justice system completely in this regard.  Had they charged here with DWI in the first place minimum sentencing standards would have come into play. 

This is not simply a case of being lenient because she was a judge, this is a case of completely sweeping the issue under the rug. 

Animal Farm.  Plain and simple.

• Moderators

I was passed out in a ditch when they found me and I didn't want to see my dash cam footage played in court. So I decided to save money on a lawyer and just take responsibility for my actions. After 15 months of probation and $10k in various fees and services I had learned my lesson.

This article makes me angry.

Was the engine running? Key in the ignition when they found you?

Was the engine running? Key in the ignition when they found you?

Not funny and it was in Iceland where the 'laws' are different but when hosting a party in the base housing a CD was missing and needed to be recovered from the car. Open the car door to retrieve the disc, naturally the keys were in hand, and the Icehead police decided that there was intent to drive never mind all the guests in the house and holding a compact disc. DWI.

Just a side note; we were only permitted to have 10 CDs in the vehicle and all of them had to be registered with security, change a CD take a trip to security. Couldn't have us selling compact discs on the black market.

Did you know that a properly flushed windshield wiper washer system could dispense alcohol as long as you had a tube to attach to the nozzle? No booze allowed off the 'agreed area' either.

Edited by USNRET

• Moderators

if you had a client that appeared in front of this judicial system do you think you could win a DWI case? I know that I would want to just say I'm so sooorry

The DA, Rene Guerra, should be indicted. The new AG should appoint a special prosecutor to put her on trial now, that statute of limitations hasn't expired and I doubt he dismissed it with prejudice. Even if there wasn't a video she could still be prosecuted.

• Like 1