Oldtimer's Hot Sauce

Mallette

On 9/6/2017 at 9:23 PM, USNRET said:

Yes a bit, using the MX151 / MC8207 combo. Have not yet done the C2500 / MC275 tubes. While I would have loved to have heard the KHorns in a 'cornered' room they just didn't sound they way that worked for me even with enclosed backs.

I love the Cornwalls as they fill in the bottom that was never there and have a more mellow sound (that I like) than the Belles. Not as pretty or awesome looking than either 3 Belles or KHorns/Belle but in my house they work better.

When I get my next 3 day weekend I will fire up the tubes and see. Frankly the SS sounds so good that it will have to be mighty impressive in order to prevent me from toying with the idea of swapping out the C2500/MEN220/MC275 units in order to fund a return to vinyl.

I had a hard time picking the Corns over Forte III (wait time on the finish I would have picked) and thought about doing special order Corns with Oak.

Now my confession: I thought I was going crazy or sobering up but over a time the KHorns lost their luster in the bottom end and after changing crossovers and enclosing the backs I just blamed it on the room. So the new owner was coming and I had to disconnect and ready for load out. I had to remove one of the back enclosure panels on each speaker to access the speaker wire connection and found the bass bin jumpers disconnected. No, I didn't forget to hook them up it was that I had ran out of banana plugs and used spades. Spade speaker wire terminals and spade jumpers that were not tightened properly or whatever the jumpers had slipped out and I had no woofers. I found this at the last minute and would not have been fair to the buyer to cancel after payment (and have 3 Cornwalls sitting here) so I hung my head and carried on. While I felt and still feel foolish I like the Cornwalls better IN THIS ROOM.

New stock of banana plugs will be on order forthwith.

Not trying to derail the Hot Sauce thread but sent you a PM about what moved you to the CW III's versus Forte III's.  @USNRET

26 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Do you think that green reaper's or green scorpions would work? Our weather here has really put a damper on ripening of many peppers in this area.

It would be a different flavor for sure, but worth a try if you end up having to harvest in that state of ripeness.