Would you put Heresys on stands?

IMO, overall best results: solid (holeless, no cavities) cinderblocks raising Heresys so that the tweeters are at seated ear level, rugs, free REW with a calibrated mic (< $100, can sell it later?), then adjust speaker position and wall hangings, etc for best sound by ear and by REW graph.

Add a good sub ASAP

Hello everyone,

I like listening to my Heresy loudspeakers off the floor and I'm considering buying some loudspeaker stands but I wonder if it is worth it.

I'd like to hear from anyone who had their speakers on cinder blocks or furniture and now has them on stands.  Was there an improvement in the sound quality?  

Do these speakers work best on low mass open frame type stands or high mass loaded stands, or should I just put them on some cinder blocks and save the money?  Any help would be welcome.

Regards,

Tim

I have mine very modified and up on 21 inch high four post Skylan Stands they look and sound excellent. The centre of the mid horn is at my seated ear height. The Skylan stans have mass loadable polymer tubes which can be filled with different materials depending upon your floor. I you have a suspended floor then you want to use less and lighter material like half full with rive. If you have a concrete pad you can fill them with sand. Good stands do make a difference. Best regards Moray James.

Moray James,

Hi.  Skylan stands have a very good reputation over here in the UK especially among the Harbeth community.  What made you decide on this speaker stand as compared to any other?  Were you able to audition it prior to purchase or was it simply a leap of faith based on reputation and or reading one or more reviews, professional or otherwise?

Regards, Tim

Hey Tim: I talked Noel Nolan into building the custom for Heresy and Forte stands. I have known Noel since the early 1980's and helped him with build and design work off an on over the decades. This set of very much modified Heresy lll eat up Noel's HL5 Harbeth with no contest in every area of performance. Noel is one of the finest people you will ever meet, they just don't come any better. Best regards Moray James.

PS: here is the latest new photo of a set of Noels four post stands under a set of HL40 Harbeth. You will find Noels stands all over the world in the finest systems there are.

post-44375-0-95160000-1429816569_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey Tim: I talked Noel Nolan into building the custom for Heresy and Forte stands. I have known Noel since the early 1980's and helped him with build and design work off an on over the decades. This set of very much modified Heresy lll eat up Noel's HL5 Harbeth with no contest in every area of performance. Noel is one of the finest people you will ever meet, they just don't come any better. Best regards Moray James.

PS: here is the latest new photo of a set of Noels four post stands under a set of HL40 Harbeth. You will find Noels stands all over the world in the finest systems there are.

Hi Moray James,

Wow.  What a great, and unexpected, answer.

Does Noel agree with your analysis regarding your modified Heresy IIIs vs his HL5s?  Any chance you could provide a link to what modifications you have made to your Heresy IIIs.  Thanks.

Regards,  Tim 

Edited by Tim_in_Norfolk

Well I can only say that Noel had more than a couple of serious listening sessions considering the H3 but in the end he figured he want to stick with Harbeth as it is his bread and butter line of speaker stands.

Below are some threads on modifications there is more involved but this is a good start. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=537287

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=529599

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=438234

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=441379

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=430992

• Like 1

I have my Heresys on some stands I bought from Radio Shack many MANY years ago. The stands look like this:

Stand1_zpsewetcgzx.jpg

Here's the whole setup:

Stand2_zpstkoufvba.jpg

I'm very pleased with how they sound sitting on the stands. I tried the OEM slant risers, flat risers, and flat on the floor without a riser. Of all of the options my cheapo Rat Shack stands were the best sounding to my ears.

I also did these stands for a pair of Heresys that I refurbed:

HOO-2.jpg

Sound wise I didn't like these quite as well as the "slant" Rat Shack stands.

These Heresys and the stands currently live with a forum member near Orlando. When I sold them to him he was driving them with a really nice vintage Marantz receiver. A 2270 I think. Perhaps he'll chime in on this thread.

• Like 1

Well I can only say that Noel had more than a couple of serious listening sessions considering the H3 but in the end he figured he want to stick with Harbeth as it is his bread and butter line of speaker stands.

Below are some threads on modifications there is more involved but this is a good start. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=537287

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=529599

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=438234

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=441379

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=430992

Thanks for those links.  I've already looked through the link about the tweeter time alignment mod; I'll save the rest to read at a later date.

Regards, Tim

I also did these stands for a pair of Heresys that I refurbed:

HOO-2.jpg

Sound wise I didn't like these quite as well as the "slant" Rat Shack stands.

These Heresys and the stands currently live with a forum member near Orlando. When I sold them to him he was driving them with a really nice vintage Marantz receiver. A 2270 I think. Perhaps he'll chime in on this thread.

teknoid,

It looks like you were doing a really nice job with those cabinets.  Do you have any thoughts about why you didn't like the stands you made as much as the slant Rat Shack stands?  What was it about the sound that made one stand better than the other - high frequencies, mids, bass, some combination thereof, or something else?

What are you using to drive your speakers and what source(s) are you using?

Regards, Tim 

Without having both pairs here to compare it's hard to quantify the differences.

I suspect that real difference is in "aiming". The slant stands place the speakers front plane in line with my ears when sitting in my "sweet spot". The 4 legged stands (for lack of a better name) aim the speakers well below ear level.

Thanks for the compliment. They did turn out really well. At the time that I built the stands and refurbed the Heresys they were intended to be a "B" system in my guest room. Only after many months of not being played or appreciated did I sell them. Considering what I sold them for I'd LOVE to get them back for the same price.

Oh well...

Here's another vote of support for Noel Nolan and his Skylan stands.  Noel has done quite a bit of research into resonances and other factors affecting stands and what they support, along with how to control those factors.

I've been using one of his SMP-3300 component stands for my electronics stack for years and I'm well pleased with it.  It's sturdy, non-resonant, and the casters make it easy to move out when I need to access the back of any of the components in it.

For my particular setup, I assembled it in "upside-down" style, with the most room at the top and the least at the bottom.  This ensured that the AVR and the power amp each had plenty of space for cooling air and allowed the AVR to be at the top, so the controls would be more accessible than if it was at the bottom.

In case you were curious, the components are, from the top:  Electro-Voice Dx38 digital processor/active crossover, Yamaha DVD-S550 disc player, solid maple cutting board (to absorb resonances (yes, I could hear the difference with it there)), Yamaha RX-V750 receiver, Yamaha EQ-70 equalizer (only one channel is used, to EQ the subwoofer to correct for a couple of room anomalies), Philips VRT400 VCR, and the treble/tweeter Yamaha MX-D1 power amp.  The bass/woofer MX-D1 (the JubScala IIs are bi-amped) is out of frame to the left on its own little stand.

post-21606-0-76200000-1429935540_thumb.j

Edited by Islander

Hello everyone,

I like listening to my Heresy loudspeakers off the floor and I'm considering buying some loudspeaker stands but I wonder if it is worth it.

I'd like to hear from anyone who had their speakers on cinder blocks or furniture and now has them on stands.  Was there an improvement in the sound quality?  

Do these speakers work best on low mass open frame type stands or high mass loaded stands, or should I just put them on some cinder blocks and save the money?  Any help would be welcome.

Regards,

Tim  

Tim - just for your info -I use 2 pairs of Cornwalls with 2 pairs of Heresies on Top of the Cornwall cabs -so yes , , the higher , the better as they bring out the details -

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Tim  

Tim - just for your info -I use 2 pairs of Cornwalls with 2 pairs of Heresies on Top of the Cornwall cabs -so yes , , the higher , the better as they bring out the details -

Hi Randyh,

When I started reading your posting I began laughing to myself because I thought you were going to recommend Cornwalls as speaker stands and that got me thinking.  What is the most a forum member has spent on 'speaker stands'?  

Are you playing all these speakers at once and if so is this your HT system?

Regards,  Tim 

• Like 1

Tim - Sancho has 5 Heresies at ear level - I also use mine at ear level , which is where your Heresies will just shine -no risers required  , although I would love to sample Heresies with a slanted riser -

-I put my Heresies on top of my Cornwalls one day and they have been there ever since -would I have stands made , they would be 36 inches tall and capable of holding a 50 lbs Heresy -

-the picture you see here is the perfect height  ,   by coincidence - PWK had designed the Heresy with identical drivers than a Khorn to be a center speaker for Khorns -

Bedroom Onkyo Integra and Hersy II combo.jpg

• Like 1

Tim - Sancho has 5 Heresies at ear level - I also use mine at ear level , which is where your Heresies will just shine -no risers required  , although I would love to sample Heresies with a slanted riser -

-I put my Heresies on top of my Cornwalls one day and they have been there ever since -would I have stands made , they would be 36 inches tall and capable of holding a 50 lbs Heresy -

-the picture you see here is the perfect height  ,   by coincidence - PWK had designed the Heresy with identical drivers than a Khorn to be a center speaker for Khorns -

Bedroom Onkyo Integra and Hersy II combo.jpg

Actually, now they still sit on the dresser but without the risers.  I removed them for better directivity when I sit in my chair which anchors a perfect near-field listening equilateral triangle.

Though they do project better into the room with the risers on.

Bill

• Like 1

Moray James,

Thank you for the links.

Following them I found one short topic regarding speaker location and image quality that helped me very much. Needless to say that I have been investigating this for quite some time now, and although there are theories, they were all either not applicable to my room or offer expensive solution to room acoustics problems.

Instructions that I found following your link was so simple I had to try them. (http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Arieltxt2.html#ps )

In short:

1. The best imaging and spatial qualities result with 50 to 55 degree spacing between the left and right speakers, the tweeters placed towards the inside, and both speakers aimed at a point about 1 to 2 feet in front of the listener. In effect, this forms an equilateral triangle that ends about a foot short of your nose.
  2. Visualize a sphere with a 1 metre radius extending in all directions outward from the tweeter; keep this imaginary sphere free of obstructions of any kind. If your room is big and uncluttered enough to provide a free radius of 1.5 metres, so much the better. The less junk there is in the immediate vicinity of the speaker, the better it will sound. (No, various room-damping tricks won't help if the free-space criteria can't be met. You can't fool Mother Nature!). When the toe-in and spacing are correct, you will hear a perfectly even distribution of sound and a well-proportioned impression of space on nearly all stereo recordings.

I haven’t been able to accommodate the above requirements exactly, but I hear noticeable difference in connection to better overall clarity of the sound, definition of instruments, clarity of performer’s voice etc. It seems that now I have a good starting point for thinking about sound treatment.

Edited by parlophone1