why so little Marantz love?

I almost bought the SR7009 but people over at AVS told me that the Denon 4520 had stronger/better amplifiers. I really do like the look of the top model Marantz receivers though.

I am a Pioneet Elite and HK guy. I am really wanting to try out a refurbished Yamaha RX-A3030 though, looks like a solid performer at a great price.

Maybe they changed their design philosophy? When I try to adjust volume it plays test tones, WTF goood is that? I'm watching a football game and I want to turn down the crowd noise in the rear/surround, IMO I should able to do that without playing test tones! That is what I mean by 'on the fly'.

No the test tones are still there but you can go into the Audessey setup and change the levels that way.

I'm confused. Are you saying in the Audessey setup when adjusting volume it will still be playing the program material i'm currently watching so I can adjust it 'on the fly'?

The lady at Marantz Tech Support that I spoke with did not know how to do this. She asked me something like "why would you want to do that?" C'MON!

Anyway like I said I did not do my homework on this purchase, my bad. I have doubts I will ever buy another Marantz AVR or Pre/Pro.

When you go into the trim level section, yes it plays the tones because that is where you would adjust/check speakers are putting out 75db. But, you can just go in and adjust them a couple of dB up or down, and then back out and see if the level is now how you want. This is a global (across all inputs) setting.

I do not think you can adjust the level, while listening to content, because you will get the test tone seeing that is what that menu is primarily for. Like I said, I think the reasoning is because once you set them all to 75dB the feeling is you should not have to tweak them. I know this isnt the best scenario for "tweakers".

Now in the Audio menu, you can quickly adjust the center or sub up or down for each input individually (not global), but not the mains or the surrounds.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

When you go into the trim level section, yes it plays the tones because that is where you would adjust/check speakers are putting out 75db. But, you can just go in and adjust them a couple of dB up or down, and then back out and see if the level is now how you want. This is a global (across all inputs) setting.

I do not think you can adjust the level, while listening to content, because you will get the test tone seeing that is what that menu is primarily for. Like I said, I think the reasoning is because once you set them all to 75dB the feeling is you should not have to tweak them. I know this isnt the best scenario for "tweakers".

Now in the Audio menu, you can quickly adjust the center or sub up or down for each input individually (not global), but not the mains or the surrounds.

That's what I thought, Thanks. I guess I'm just too old to get IT. This thing can do all kinds of fancy stuff, but adjust the volume, no way. Or a Balance control? What I think is  Marantz/Audessey is saying this is how it is supposed to sound and you WILL like it. PHOOEY!

Maybe they changed their design philosophy? When I try to adjust volume it plays test tones, WTF goood is that? I'm watching a football game and I want to turn down the crowd noise in the rear/surround, IMO I should able to do that without playing test tones! That is what I mean by 'on the fly'.

Being able to do just that is another reason, besides great sound quality, why I love my NAD pre/pro and AVR's. :D

Bill

post-24680-0-37660000-1430654963_thumb.j

post-24680-0-16660000-1430654987_thumb.j

Being able to do just that is another reason, besides great sound quality, why I love my NAD pre/pro and AVR's. :D

Bill

onkyo 805 has the same. All channels can be adjusted in the fly with content playing. Don't know why they got rid of that. It's three buttons total on my remote

onkyo 805 has the same. All channels can be adjusted in the fly with content playing. Don't know why they got rid of that. It's three buttons total on my remote

What remote do you have?  My 705 came with the RC-693M.  Are the three buttons CH SEL, LEVEL-, LEVEL+?

I forgot all about that with my Onkyo. :o

Is this yours?

P1040195A.jpg

Bill 

Edited by willland

Bill

I like that on the remote. Every avr remote should have this.

I've been eyeing new Marantz receivers for nearly a year. Secretly been hoping for my H/K to take a dump so that I can justify purchasing one. I also almost pulled the trigger on a few of the UD players, but ultimately decided on going with an Xbox ONE since I'm a cord cutter and I stream more than anything. 

I had a 250 and 3600, sounded great but had to fix em a bunch of times, finally replaced the system with Sansui stuff ( which I love) now the only marantz I have is some mono blocks, ma500 and ma700, very good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have much love for marantz owned a decent amount of their current stuff and one 70s model. I'm currently running a 4270( early 70s ) a sr7007, nr1604, and (2) nr1402s and one lone pioneer vsx 502 that's been exiled to the garage. Every receiver had some form of klipsch on every channel. In the past I have owned a 6005, 6006, and a 7005. Next on my list is a 8802 on a pair of 8077s to run 7.2.4 with biampped fronts and the ud7007 which has been getting better 2ch reviews than the oppo. However the Darby edition of the oppo has caught my eye.