Denon AVR 4311 issues with KLF30's

Thrasher

I recently picked up a set of KLF30s that blew my mind. I hooked them to my Denon AVR4311 with an Emotiva XPA-5, Dynaudio 300 sub, Klipsch RB-10 rears.

When I listened to them at the previous owners home, he was running an older Rotel RB-985 (5x100 bi amped) and an older Pioneer Elite. His system had those KLF30s shaking the walls down and you could feel the music in your face and chest. It sounded great!

Last night, after I had someone help me set it up, he ran Audyssey and it set the KLF30s to -12db. Everything was very dumbed down, and the KLF's had essentially no bass. The sub was relatively unresponsive as well. I have looked through (as far as I can figure out) and found that the Denon was set to "PRE-AMP", and the Audyssey set the mains to Large and the center channel and rears were set as small.

To make a very long story short...How in the heck do I bring these speakers back to life? As it is right now, it's extremely unimpressive....

There has to be an "easy" button...Maybe? Any Denon guru's near zip code 98248 that can offer some help?

Please? I am dying to listen to this system and enjoy it!

Thank you

Your equipment is different but you also have to take into consideration room acoustics plays a HUGE role in how a speaker will perform.

The KLF30's should still be able to function in a similar fashion. There is essentially no movement of the woofers on the KLF's. Feeling for air moving out of the ports results in nearly nill. I get that room accoustics will produce a different sound, but this is night and day. The system sounds dead........

Also, the person that set it up, bi-wired the speakers. Should this matter?

Edited by Thrasher

by the way, i usually end up having to run Audyssey about 4-6 times when I change gear in order to get things set just right. It drives my wife nuts..

As far as the sound being balanced, it was balanced. However, being evenly balanced also has the sound muted way down. To get ANY bass, you have to have the system turned nearly all of the way up.

Are you listening to music in 2 channel or surround mode? I prefer pure/direct for 2 channel which is effectively full range. Not sure on the bi amping.

Id also run all speakers in small and pick proper crossover points. Id guess 60hz would be a good start for these towers.

I also note your KLF's were set as -12 trim level, which is bottomed out. What are all the other speakers set at because you may need to level match with an SPL meter?

Edited by gadgtfreek

Your equipment is different but you also have to take into consideration room acoustics plays a HUGE role in how a speaker will perform.

The KLF30's should still be able to function in a similar fashion. There is essentially no movement of the woofers on the KLF's. Feeling for air moving out of the ports results in nearly nill. I get that room accoustics will produce a different sound, but this is night and day. The system sounds dead........

I bet you didn't put the jumpers between terminals back in place and you only have the speakers hooked up to the tweeters...If I were you I would checvk that and then run one set of wires and try the setup on the AVR-4311ci alone (no amp) and see what numbers you get for Audyssey.

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

I have a Denon AVR-4311ci to the HT in my sig and a KLF-20/C7 hooked up to a AVR-4806...Imo, this is what I would do if what I surmised above is wrong:

1) Unhook the amp

2) Run Audyssey as per the links provided above

3) Go in and set all speakers all to small

4) Go into Bass Mgmt/Advanced and cross your KLF-30s at 40 to 60 Hz (possibly even 80)/Others 80 Hz or higher

5) I bet by doing this your trims will be less than -12...If not, Plan B. ;)  Good Luck.

Edited by tkdamerica

• Moderators
I bet you didn't put the jumpers between terminals back in place and you only have the speakers hooked up to the tweeters...If I were you I would checvk that

Very possibly could be the issue.   Good thinking.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, If you did do every thing properly and already set your speakers to small and set a crossover (and even if you didn't) MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE DYNAMIC VOLUME SET TO ON. I mistakenly did and knowing how my speakers already sounded new something was amiss--Changed that and Nirvana.  B) 

Edited by tkdamerica

I have never liked using Audyssey on my 4311. It basically sounds neutered when its done. Just because Audyssey boosts and cuts to flatten the response it

sure doesn't make it sound better to my ears and it nulls the details out of the music content. Just set the AVR on direct or Pure direct for two channel listening and

turn the sub off, this will give you a full range on the 30's and a place to start. The last guy that owned them probably had it all boosted and EQ'd up with the Pioneer.

• Moderators

I would change it back to one set of wires first before doing anything else. And like suggested by Max try it on pure direct first, this should give you a start to know how it sounds so any other changes can be judged better or worse, start out with the basics and go from there.

My opinion on bi-wiring is it does no good or very little. to me your just sending the same signal from the same place but through a separate wire, bi-amp is a different story. imo

I never let a computer algorithm and cheesy omni-directional mic determine my system settings that is what your ears are for.  It will attempt to set the system flat.  Flat = terrible sound.  I use my ears, a disc and an SPL meter.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1

I have never liked using Audyssey on my 4311. It basically sounds neutered when its done. Just because Audyssey boosts and cuts to flatten the response it

sure doesn't make it sound better to my ears and it nulls the details out of the music content. Just set the AVR on direct or Pure direct for two channel listening and

turn the sub off, this will give you a full range on the 30's and a place to start. The last guy that owned them probably had it all boosted and EQ'd up with the Pioneer.

Exactly. Audyssey has it completely muted and dumbed down. Sounds well balanced but extremely lame.

Hard to tell from the picture without knowing how the other end is wired. If you don't have the jumpers, use a short piece of speaker wire to connect the HF and LF (red to red / black to black) and just run one cable (pos / neg.) to either the upper OR lower terminals