At what point do you give up?

Youthman

My only saving grace is the ad is almost impossible to find because of the manner he posted it so I'm guessing he's had little / if any interest. Got my fingers crossed.

That's how I got my CF-4's as a "Youthman Deal."  They were in a semi-local CL under "Audiofile speakers" as the heading and then he misspelled "Klipch" in the listing.

+++

When do you walk away?  I would have walked already, but you are chasing the always desirable but never duplicated "Youthman Deal." 

I say hang in there a little longer.  :emotion-21:

• Moderators
When do you walk away? I would have walked already, but you are chasing the always desirable but never duplicated "Youthman Deal." I say hang in there a little longer. :emotion-21:

I love hanging around other optimists. 

The one I'm pursuing is definitely not even close to my two best deals (links below) but it's still worth the wait if it pans out.  If it doesn't, I surely won't lose any sleep.

Complete RF-7ii System Purchase (Best Deal of My Life)

Youthman Bought a Few Toys

His action/inaction may seem rude, but a day or two isn't really a big deal. There are numerous reasons that he may not be able to get back to you, hopefully nothing horrible. I've had it happen to me, both selling and buying, sometimes life happens when you have other stuff to do. Hang in there, if it's meant to be, it will happen. Good luck.

• Like 1

I hate when that happens and it happens to me with some regularity. People apparently hate it when you ask questions about what they are selling. He probably unloaded it onto someone who asked fewer questions. In my experience, the seller usually goes quiet once I've sent a third e-mail asking about the stuff. 

This, by no means, indicates that you're at fault. I like when people ask me about what I sell because it means that what I'm selling is meeting a specific need in someone's home. That being said, most people on Craigslist go for the path of least resistance. I've gotten to the point where, if it's close, I just show up. And if it's not, I ask questions and hope they're not the type to get annoyed.  :lol:

• Moderators
think you have done all you can do. i'd probably throw in the towel about now.

No Never!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about using someone else's phone to contact him? It might let you know it wasn't just you he is avoiding.

I did consider it but haven't tried it yet. 

I hate when that happens and it happens to me with some regularity. People apparently hate it when you ask questions about what they are selling. He probably unloaded it onto someone who asked fewer questions. In my experience, the seller usually goes quiet once I've sent a third e-mail asking about the stuff.

Me at 4:10:  Is it in good working condition?

Him at 4:10: Yes, it is

Me at 4:11: How about cosmetics?

Him at 4:12:  Have more speakers too.  Looks good!

Me at 4:12: Can you send a few more photos?  What other speakers are you selling?  When would be a good time to come and look at it?

Then silence.  It's just strange you are in the middle of a conversation and it just stops abruptly.

This, by no means, indicates that you're at fault.

Maybe it was my fault for asking 5 questions.  Probably should have only asked 4.  :P

• Like 1

Maybe it was my fault for asking 5 questions. Probably should have only asked 4. :P

You're laughing, but you may be right.  :unsure:

I knew a guy who had a lot of electronics to sell, but if someone asked him a question, he was really funny about "educating" people about his stuff.  He would NOT provide pictures as he thought you should already know what his audio gear looked like if you wanted to buy it.  We are all different.

Some are just more different than others.  B)

Edited by wvu80

The biggest problem nowadays is that so many guys have a mangina. They want to do deals over text only and if they have second thoughts or anything at all their go-to action is to just disappear. It is horribly cowardly and hardly in the spirit of how men historically make deals.

However, sometimes this is a telltale sign of a scam too. I've seen people list stuff for a good price when they don't even own the stuff and know nothing about it. They are hoping to get paid without actually having the item. As soon as you pay or just want to see it in person, poof, they magically disappear. I have seen some people actually do something similar and hope that they can get an offer from a buyer, and at the last minute go buy that item from somebody else at a lower price.

Either way, you'd do best to avoid these people. It's not a matter of giving up in my opinion, it's more like at best this is a telltale sign of some shady cowardly actions and that's nobody that you want to be messing with. Sometimes in business the best action is to know when to deny a transaction. Not all customers are good customers. It works the other way around as well.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Out of curiosity, I Googled his phone number and it pulled up an Application to Construct a Dock along with a Permit Request for a Floating Dock that he had submitted.  The name on the Permit matches the full name and phone number he listed on his Craigslist Ad.  Don't worry....I'm not going to show up at his house.  :lol:  At least he is a real person.  So far everything seems on the up and up.....but I guess you never know.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well persistence might just pay off.  I decided to make give him one last call.  He and his wife are doing some remodeling and his wife began listing a few of his speakers to help offset the cost of the remodel.  He seemed like a nice gentleman and said he thinks he's just in shock about her listing them.  LOL.  He says they don't have much use on them.  He asked if he could give it some thought to make sure he wants to sell them and he will let me know. 

Again, if it works out, great.  If not, no biggie.  Will keep everyone posted. 

• Like 1

Mr. Clark, on 03 Jun 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:   Youthman, on 03 Jun 2015 - 08:12 AM, said: Maybe it was my fault for asking 5 questions.  Probably should have only asked 4.    5?? Clearly one too many!   Saved for reference….only ask 4 questions

Four is the limit. Didn't you read the Craigslist handbook??? :laugh:  

• Like 1

Mr. Clark, on 03 Jun 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:   Youthman, on 03 Jun 2015 - 08:12 AM, said: Maybe it was my fault for asking 5 questions.  Probably should have only asked 4.    5?? Clearly one too many!   Saved for reference….only ask 4 questions

Four is the limit. Didn't you read the Craigslist handbook??? :laugh:  

That would be a horror book for sure.

• Like 1