At what point do you give up?

Youthman

• Moderators

Yesterday I contact a guy on Craigslist about a speaker that he has listed.  I asked what model it was and he sends me a photo of it and says it is in great working condition.  I ask a few questions and then he stops texting.  I text asking when would be a good time to come look at it.  No response.  Later that evening, I call and leave a VM asking if he would be available that evening to come look at it.  Nothing.  Next morning, I text again....nothing.  I think I called one more time and left a second VM.  I even mentioned that if he has sold it, no worries, just let me know.  Nada. 

What gives?  And more importantly, at what point do you stop trying to make contact?  No response from seller but ad is still up.  End Youthman rant....

disrespectful in my opinion. when he responds back and says they are sold tell him you had cash and would have payed double what he was asking had he called you back cause you wanted them so bad. and then when he freaks out and cancels with the other guy you can tell him you dont buy speakers from people like him. 

• Like 9

• Moderators

Ok....that would be disrespectful.  :P

If he texted me tonight, I wouldn't care what his excuse was for not responding, I would be on my way to pick it up.  Yes, it's another one of those "Youthman Deals".

If he hadn't responded via text, I would have just thought it was SPAM.  He stated in the text that he had other speakers too (which I found myself on craigslist) but those speakers are at the top end of the market. 

• Moderators
Yea man.....that crapp gets under my skin....big time.... Just tell me you sold em.....or....your keeping them....or....you don't like me......or ....just tell me to F%$& Off.....but tell me something!!

My point exactly.  I would rather him say any of those things than to just ignore me. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Hang in there if it is one of those great deals. Something legit may have came up, fingers crossed! ;)

That's what I'm hoping for.  My only saving grace is the ad is almost impossible to find because of the manner he posted it so I'm guessing he's had little / if any interest.  Got my fingers crossed.

Edited by Youthman

I know it is very, very frustrating....but, it happens all the time.  CL is a quagmire of various.....people and attitudes and other....stuff.  The key is patience.  I hate to say this, but, if it''s meant to be, it's meant to be...don't worry about what you can't control....especially with CL. 

Hang in there if it is one of those great deals. Something legit may have came up, fingers crossed! ;)

That's what I'm hoping for.  My only saving grace is the ad is almost impossible to find because of the manner he posted it so I'm guessing he's had little / if any interest.  Got my fingers crossed.

What manner would that be? :D :D :D

LIfe happens. There are far more important things than speakers. Plenty of legitimate reasons why one could not be available or unable to respond at the moment.  Yesterday? A whole 24 hours? (lol) Enjoy the deal if it comes your way.

• Moderators
The key is patience.

Cmon...you are talking to "Mr Patience" here.  Ok....I'm patient unless I'm trying to score a deal....then I get "anxious" and excited.  :D

I hate to say this, but, if it''s meant to be, it's meant to be...don't worry about what you can't control....especially with CL.

I'm definitely not "worried" about it.  It's just exciting to me at the possibility of finding a really good buy.

What manner would that be? :D :D :D

If I told you, I'd have to kill you and I've never killed anyone before and really would rather not start.  :P:D:P

• Moderators
It's time to walk away. You've been honorable.

One of the reason's I ask the question is I don't want to be a pest but I also want to express my sincere interest to purchase as well.  I guess he already knows that though.  LOL

I do wonder how sharp operators think they will benefit. But it happens.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

LIfe happens. There are far more important things than speakers. Plenty of legitimate reasons why one could not be available or unable to respond at the moment.  Yesterday? A whole 24 hours? (lol) Enjoy the deal if it comes your way.

That is true.  I sincerely hope nothing bad happened in his life.  Living in Florida, I've come to understand there is always another deal around the corner....just gotta wait a few months and it will pop up. 

Sometimes the right deals are in the wrong places. I came across 4 nice speakers in the furniture section.

Sucks when you don't get replies but I try to tell myself it's probably for the best and not meant to be,

Edited by Tasdom

• Moderators
Sometimes the right deals are in the wrong places. I came across 4 nice speakers in the furniture section.

Yes, I have found deals like that as well.  I actually love it when they put "Pair of Speakers for sale" with no photo.  I always inquire about those ads.  Never know what you might find.

Sucks when you don't get replies but I try to tell myself it's probably for the best and not meant to be,

Yep...in the grand scheme of things...it really doesn't matter.  I won't lose any sleep over it but it would be nice to at least hear back from the guy, even if he says they are sold.

• Moderators

From a book by my college suite-mate, who died tragically of an embolism on a flight from SFO to NYC to promote a new release of another book at the age of 45:

"Ask yourself this question: 'Will this matter a year from now?'"

--Richard Carlson, American psychotherapist and author of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

• Like 6

• Moderators

Oh wow, I'm truly sorry to hear about your college suite-mate. 

"Ask yourself this question: 'Will this matter a year from now?'"

It won't matter 10 minutes from now.  There is no such thing as the "Deal of a Lifetime".  Everytime I think I've discovered it, a better one pops up somewhere down the road.  On top of that, "stuff" really doesn't matter.  It's temporary, it breaks (been experiencing a lot of breakage lately), things get lost, stolen, misplaced etc.  There are soooo many things that are much higher up the importance list than finding a great deal and enjoying this audio hobby....but it sure is fun though.  :lol:

• Like 1

Yesterday I contact a guy on Craigslist about a speaker that he has listed.  I asked what model it was and he sends me a photo of it and says it is in great working condition.  I ask a few questions and then he stops texting.  I text asking when would be a good time to come look at it.  No response.  Later that evening, I call and leave a VM asking if he would be available that evening to come look at it.  Nothing.  Next morning, I text again....nothing.  I think I called one more time and left a second VM.  I even mentioned that if he has sold it, no worries, just let me know.  Nada. 

What gives?  And more importantly, at what point do you stop trying to make contact?  No response from seller but ad is still up.  End Youthman rant....

You give up right now.