Can Adding Just Drapes Really Help Imaging, Acoustics?

willland

To answer your question, yes. Second only to carpet for non-purpose-built absorption.

If you've got a bathroom with tile or linoleum flooring, just walk around talking or clapping with your towels hanging up and again with them removed. Seriously, just even 2 towels will make an audible difference in the bathroom. It sounds odd without them there. If you have bathmats and remove those too, the effect is stronger. Then imagine how large two drapes are in comparison. :)

The "shower stall effect"  is brought on by the shape and lack of absorption which enhances sympathetic and parasympathetic vibrations.  I actually learned that in college, proving it wasn't a total waste...

The "shower stall effect" is brought on by the shape and lack of absorption which enhances sympathetic and parasympathetic vibrations. I actually learned that in college, proving it wasn't a total waste...

Taught by Sandusky?

• Like 1

I couldn't help but notice that the carpet doesn't match the drapes.

I will also second the fact that absorption panels at the first reflection point really make a difference.

Well played sir, you beat me to the punch... B)

The "shower stall effect" is brought on by the shape and lack of absorption which enhances sympathetic and parasympathetic vibrations. I actually learned that in college, proving it wasn't a total waste...

Taught by Sandusky?

That's just sick.

• Like 1

No one can appreciate a fully treated room until they do their own.  Leave the curtains for the wife to deal with. Buy 2'X4',  two inch thick panels..... Front wall, back wall and ceiling.  If you don't have them, your not hearing all the details in your content.

No one can appreciate a fully treated room until they do their own.  Leave the curtains for the wife to deal with. Buy 2'X4',  two inch thick panels..... Front wall, back wall and ceiling.  If you don't have them, your not hearing all the details in your content.

True, especially for a frame-up dedicated HT. But, if you're in a dedicated (existing) room it will have windows.

I'm not going to hang Acoustic Panels over my windows. I'll take Drapes over glass anytime.... no wife needed, 

True, especially for a frame-up dedicated HT. But, if you're in a dedicated (existing) room it will have windows.

I'm not going to hang Acoustic Panels over my windows. I'll take Drapes over glass anytime.... no wife needed, 

Uh yeah, I don't think panels over a window would turn out too good, even in a frat house.  Hang enough panels in your room and it wont matter what you put over the windows, if anything.  But of course, curtains wouldn't hurt, but they are not going do near what a few panels would.

Uh yeah, I don't think panels over a window would turn out too good, even in a frat house.  Hang enough panels in your room and it wont matter what you put over the windows, if anything.  But of course, curtains wouldn't hurt, but they are not going do near what a few panels would.

Pretty sure no one here said drapes would be better than acoustic panels.  That benefit is not in question. The OP was asking if drapes/curtain will offer any benefit... & yes the will provide some noticeable difference (for Music or HT). 

It depends on the weight/thickness of the drapes themselves: they can be just as effective as panels....

velour.jpgMoorings-Exposed1.jpg

Edited by Chris A

It depends on the weight/thickness of the drapes themselves: they can be just as effective as panels....

That awesome. I've been seeing some of those padded curtains online. Nice!! I might have to explore them further. It used to be those options were pretty pedestrian/industrial, great to see they have evolved into offering something much nicer. Looks great.

I have one particularly large 144" x 60" window & its covered with heavy drapes which are lined with a blackout layer. Those can be puled open or closed like a traditional covering & they rest 4"- 5" away from the wall. In addition, I have a separate covering that rolls down when viewing movies & it sits flush with the wall/window. It rolls back up & is hidden during normal day-to-day use. Try watching the beginning of Transformers AoE or Godzilla without either of those coverings in place (not good). lol

I even have a small etched/decorative window that's designed "not" to have any covering—but I put a basic terry cloth towel over it when watching movies. That actually works as a great temporary solution, especially when the subs dig deep.

Was going to post this separately, but it fits well with this thread.

Saw this in the Washington Post. New designer felt acoustic panels coming  in July.  No NRC (noise reduction coefficient) rating yet, but pretty cool looking if you are doing something with a modernistic flare. Pricey at $240 for 16 square feet (four panels), but pretty cool looking.

http://mioculture.com/paperforms/deco-feltforms.html

• Like 1

I believe it is plausible that the drapes did a lot of good.

Unfortunately it takes some sophisticated equipment to measure acoustics of a room, some good insights on what the data mean, and further learning on what to do to make things better.

Nonetheless, my thinking is that our rooms are very poor acoustic environments and therefore even small amounts of absorbing, or diffusing, material will help.

When our office suite was being re-carpeted I got to hear rooms without carpet. There was a very harsh sound not previously present.

My small office sounds pretty good even though square, and almost a cube, sheetrock with a good area of glass windows. Theoretically bad. It has a ceiling of suspended acoustic panels. These probably have some effect. But I think the major factor is that there is almost 24 inches of free space above which communicates to the entire suite. And the door in the corner is always open. It is just to say that in fact, it is not really such a bad environment. Similarly, home listening rooms are never the theoretical size because of openings. But they may have other issues.

My favorite observation is the bath tub shower area where I listen to a tap tunes radio. With the sliding doors shut it is awful. But sliding the glass door open creates about 5% to 10% absorption area in that 100% of the sound is going out and never re-echoing in that small space. It is very, very marked in improvement.

The bath tub shower thing: In past centuries builders of concert halls would build scaled down replicas of the proposed hall to see how the model sounded. Therefore my bath tub shower might well be recreating the use of absorptive material in a living room. My guess is that a concert hall was scaled down to a living room in size. So our living room could be scaled down to a bath tub shower. No?

PWK describe the use of cylindrical diffusers and recommended that they take up 10% of the wall area. (I have to check the Dope From Hope.)

In your case, it looks like the drapes are right behind the speakers and this could well be affecting early reflections. This is reportedly a major issue on imaging. This is why people pull their speakers away from walls.

The bottom line is that it makes sense.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

PWK describe the use of cylindrical diffusers and recommended that they take up 10% of the wall area. (I have to check the Dope From Hope.)

Bonners, after Dr. Bonner.  There is some debate as to whether they do as good a job as more modern diffusers, but they are easy to make & inexpensive, so one could put in many of them.

Does anyone know how lasers were used to analyse or predict the acoustics in the Disney hall (LA)?