lp playback making my speakers freak out

Ok so I just hooked up my dads old record player, listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" right now, and the sound is amazing, but my speakers are surging in and out crazily when I turn it up.  They don't normally do it at loud volume and it doesn't even correspond with the music.  WTF is going on?

• Like 1

i tried a few different albums, all with the same result.  While the speakers surging in and out isn't audible on it's own, it is having an effect on the music while it is playing.  I am out of my realm here, any help would be appreciated. 

Ok so I just hooked up my dads old record player, listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" right now, and the sound is amazing, but my speakers are surging in and out crazily when I turn it up.  They don't normally do it at loud volume and it doesn't even correspond with the music.  WTF is going on?

Your dad's old record player probably has turntable rumble.  It is very common in old turntables that have not been reconditioned.  It never occurs with our modern digital discs and disc players (CD, SACD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc.), so I can see why it surprised you.  It causes speaker cones (woofer cones) to pump in and out violently, but only a little -- or none -- of the pumping is audible, because it is too deep in the bass.  If the turntable has direct drive, the rubber driver (if any) might be replacable.  If it has belt drive, then any rumble probably comes from the bearings, or elsewhere. The rumble will affect the audible spectrum because of Doppler distortion, and at high volume, it is not particularly good for woofers.  Does any one on the forum do turntable repair?  Rumble filters used to be available, and may be now.  Some were stand-alone boxes.  You would probably have to put such a filter in your processor loop, if your receiver or pre-amp has one.  A few preamps had built-in rumble filters.

What is the make and model of the record player?

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 2

Back during the "Golden Age of Stereo" people were actually proud of their woofers pumping. Speaker grills were removed so that all could witness the woofer cones jumping in and out. I once saw a salesman actually using that as a selling point. I walked over and said, "Do you know that can damage the woofers?", then pushed the low cut filter. The motion stopped, and I walked away chuckling.

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback.  The turntable is a Technics sl-1900, which is a direct-ddrive unit, that my dad was really proud of when I was a kid.  He spent a bit upgrading the stylus to make it better.   It had been sitting on a shelf in the garage for the past 25-30 years.  This model of Marantz didn't have a phono input, which is why I had to buy a pre-amp.  Haven't seen any low-pass filter settings for the inputs in the menus.

I will play with it some more when I get home from work.

it sits and spins without the stylus touching without issue.  once the stylus touches the woofers will start pulsing.  I've been reading around through other forums and apparently this is a very common issue.  looking into finding a decent rumble filter to cure my woes.  A disc washer is on the list of must haves as well.

• Like 1

it sits and spins without the stylus touching without issue.  once the stylus touches the woofers will start pulsing.  I've been reading around through other forums and apparently this is a very common issue.  looking into finding a decent rumble filter to cure my woes.  A disc washer is on the list of must haves as well.

If this is a road you want to go down (vinyl playback), I would start with a decent and modern entry level turntable. You will save yourself money and headache in the long run. I've been venial only place back for the past 15 years now. It's rewarding and frustrating.

A 30hz/12dB or 20hz/18dB works well.

I used to build a passive 12dB/30hz Q=1 filter for use in the tape loop.

Stopped woofer failures, made the midrange cleaner, played louder.

Edited by djk
  • Like 1

The issue could be as djk described. However, I ask you what you are sitting the turntable on? I also ask if you are on the second story with sprung floors? This could cause what you describe.

Isolation is very important with such low level signals.

Shakey

very inexpensive rumble dampening device can be made by floating a table of dense material (a slab of granite - like a sink cutout gotten from a countertop manufacturing shop) on 4 hand/tennis balls. Some slit the balls in two, or you can sit them in furniture caster cups. This will help isolate the turntable from acoustic low frequencies.

Some here house their turntables on wall mounted shelves which helps isolate the table from footfalls or floor vibrations.  

I always prefer an acoustic solution to an electronic one.  Again, this is just one of many possible solutions to what may be myriad issues. 

• Like 1

The turntable was sitting on a small table between the right tower and the stereo shelf, not ideal by any means.   I'm going to build a platform to dampen any vibrations as you described colterphoto1.  hopefully that cleans it up.  If not, the new preamp is arriving today.  The low-cut filter in it is rated at -3dB @ 22Hz according to their website.  I also just received a Furman PL-8C power conditioner that I am going to be installing.