Are Cornwalls and La Scalas good together

KeyOfGee

I’m brand new to this forum but I’ve been a follower for some time and I’m trying to understand how should I make a major purchase of speakers, I’ve only heard the Khorns and I would like to get some serious comments and feedback about the idea of using Cornwall’s for mains and a La Scala for a center channel. I don’t know what to expect and I don’t know anyone that has tried this combination out. I have nowhere in Cleveland to check out these speakers, I just fell in love with the Khorns and the Klipsch sound; and I’m flying blind and taking a leap of faith.

• Like 3

What is your music preference, movies or music?  Will you set up a 2.0 or 2.1 for music, then have 5.1 for movies?  What is your speaker environment (dedicated home theater or living room) and what is your budget for all speakers?  How many subs?

In general, I would go for La Scala L/R.  For a center I would try to find a single LS, the CW would be my second choice for a center.  I think the Klipsch Belle is also a good choice for center, but they are harder to find than your other choices.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.  :)

• Like 2

Thank You, Dedicated home theater. I love Jazz and movies most of all, Since they say the LS lack bass and have a great midrange, and the CW have a great full range; tht's why I thought that the combination would have worked out. I've been learning a lot Klipsch lately. Thank You

• Like 1

Thank You, Dedicated home theater. I love Jazz and movies most of all, Since they say the LS lack bass and have a great midrange, and the CW have a great full range; tht's why I thought that the combination would have worked out. I've been learning a lot Klipsch lately. Thank You

I have tree Cornwall's up front myself (I need to take a new picture and change my avatar). I have ALK model Bv.2 crossovers in them. My main music is jazz and gospel and I love using three Cornwall's !!!!!!
  • Like 2

Three of the same no matter what! I'd personally go with three la scalas if you can afford. Your gonna want a sub either way for theater. So it will make up for the lack of bass the la scalas suffer from.

But three Cornwalls will be sweet also. Just gonna get more Midrange from the larger horn on the scalas

• Like 2

• Moderators
Three of the same no matter what!

It didn't take me long after buying a pair of LaScalas to sell my RF-83 / RC-64 and purchase a third LaScala.  You are correct, they do not have the slam like my RF-83's do but the bass they do produce is smooth and as Scrappy says, no matter what speakers you have (even Khorns), you are going to want a quality sub (or multiple subs).  There is no lacking of bass from the Dual RSW-15's.

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-3.JPG

Divergent.jpg

• Like 3

hey I got a real good question. Are you planning a false wall with screen like me and youthmans theaters? If so you could look into the cinema line. That's where it's really at! You pay for 100% performance and 0% looks. Just throwing it out there since you said dedicated theater
  • Like 1

wdecho mentioned a horn sub (tapped horn??), they seem to be a big deal with the DJs; but is it necessary or does it make that much of a difference in home theater?? It seems that two R-115SW subs would be more than enough to extend some LS down low for home theater. I have been waiting to hear some Klipsch owners give their thoughts about tapped horns. The Danley THSPUD specs at 19 Hz – 125 Hz - 3 dB and the R-115SW specs at 18Hz-125Hz +/-3dB, what gives?? Why do so many people talk about tapped subs?? Help me out here

Some feel horn subs are much cleaner. And also measure that was as well from what I've read. I have two tapped subs and they are sweet sounding for sure. But to make a blanket statement that it takes a horn sub to make as good of bass as a la scala is just plain wrong. My quad 18's can just about make your teeth chatter, and are insanely tight and clean. And I have a buddy a mile down the road from me who has the dual r-115sw and they are sweet with movies. Not the best with music but they are pretty incredible on most movie scenes. Now if it's something that dig to single digits they drop fast below tune. But that is very few movies

Edited by Scrappydue

I wouldn't mix the two models in the front three speakers, if you are talking about a 5.1 or greater configuration.  I find my CWs to be good for surround duty.  PWK was really clear in his opinions on that subject:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=80871

• Like 2

I wouldn't mix the two models in the front three speakers, if you are talking about a 5.1 or greater configuration. I find my CWs to be good for surround duty. PWK was really clear in his opinions on that subject:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=80871

good read! Yeah lcr is the way to go. La scalas if you got the money, Cornwalls would be second choice. And if your doing glass wall skip them both and get into the cinema line up. Three kpt-904's make a killer front soundstage!

I’m brand new to this forum but I’ve been a follower for some time and I’m trying to understand how should I make a major purchase of speakers, I’ve only heard the Khorns and I would like to get some serious comments and feedback about the idea of using Cornwall’s for mains and a La Scala for a center channel. I don’t know what to expect and I don’t know anyone that has tried this combination out. I have nowhere in Cleveland to check out these speakers, I just fell in love with the Khorns and the Klipsch sound; and I’m flying blind and taking a leap of faith.

You need a sub for Home Theater.  Given that, three La Scalas and one sub would the way to go (unless you go with two Klipschorns, or two Klipsch Jubilees, and a La Scala center, and a sub).  Although the Cornwalls have more bass slam, the La Scalas have a cleaner sounding bass, and the sub will be taking care of the bass.  With a good sub, one can scrimp on the surrounds, since the sub will be taking over for them below about 80 Hz.  Just make sure your surrounds are good to below 80 Hz.  Klipsch Heresy II or III would be fine.  I haven't heard a horn sub, but I'm just about convinced they would be more precise and less muddy from what many people on this forum say, and theoretical considerations, as well. 

I use LS mains, KLF-C7, and Cornwalls for rear surrounds. 

You're on the right track keeping three of the same series (Heritage) speaker across the front. I'm happy with my setup but have plans for a center vertical CW at some point. Also I have a set of pro theater components that will be identical LCR - you can't beat that combination. 

If you're using LS as mains, get some serious subbage. 

I am not a home surround guy, but just have to say Youthman that is an impressive & beautiful set up.

How about Cornscallas for those surround systems, would they work ? If I were starting over again on this audio road as a two chl. man, Cornscallas would be my direction.

Cornman

As a LaScala owner I really like your setup. I have a very good sub but I do not always use it. With the right amplifier the LaScala makes some real nice bass, not as low as the K-horn but sharp clear, no boom bass. I only listen 2 way no theater. It would take a horn sub to make bass as good as the LaScala. I recently bought a Yamaha integrated amplifier with around 85 watts with practically no bass. The amp I use now with 25 watts makes some of the best bass I have ever heard with my LaScala's. If my memory is correct Paul Klipsch always said he wished someone would make a good 20 watt amp.

Well it was a five watt amplifier that Paul was looking for, but I think twenty would be better.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/11338/#bc6fzFzwqvcqzEZc.97