Who's in your Top 5?

kapsnb01

The first 2 are locks. My number 5 seems to change daily.

1 Rush

2 Foo Fighters

3 Metallica

4 Pearl Jam

5 Rolling Stones

I’ve also been listening to a lot of country/alt country/country-esque (I don't know how to classify them as a collective) lately (Willie, Sturgill Simpson, Robert Earl Keen, Uncle Tupelo, John Prine) which resembles nothing on my list.

Edited by comay

1. Queen

2. Heart

3. Yes

4. Pink Floyd

5. 70s REO Speedwagon

Honorable Mention:  The Guess Who and The Monkees (VERY talented group of session musicians recorded with them--including members of the famed Wrecking Crew--Glen Campbell, Carol Kaye, Larry Taylor--Canned Heat Bassist, Hal Blaine).

• Like 3

REO used to put on a great Chick concert. There would be 2 or 3 chicks there for every guy. Went to see them 3 separate times. Easy to meet girls when you are 6'3" and they ask to sit on your shoulders.

Definitely not in my top picks to listen too, but are one of the few bands that sound like themselves in concert.

Roger

• Like 2

Heard it from a friend who

heard it from a friend who

ROTFLMAO

That was on the cusp of them turning into a top 40 radio band.   I really like their stuff from the days of their live LP...You Get What You Play For...circa 1977?

Edited by BigStewMan

Now that this thread has progressed, it's interesting seeing what everyone was exposed to.

Iv already stated my preferences, but not seeing a lot of these bands in anyones list, so i thought id throw a list of honorable mention.

Brain Eno
Judas Priest
Uriah Heep
The Cars
Cheap Trick
Dire Straits
38 Special
George Thorogood
Pat Benatar
Molly Hatchet
The Rossington-Collins Band

• Like 5

Again Looking at everyone picks, now im looking at where you are at in the country, as related to your picks.

I grew up in SoCal so, hell every band wannabe played the area and still do.

I find twistedcrankcammer's picks quite interesting as he is in Ohio with just about the same taste :o

• Like 1

In general:

Arron Copeland

Leonard Berstein

Tchaikovsky

Chick Corea

John Williams

As a genre I like the brass sound of drum and bugle corps which usually field about 80 brass players.  They play world class brass and percussion arrangements of many classical composers, jazz, and recently even some K-pop.

You sure do, and not just because of Jimmy Buffett......

It's a 90's thing, you wouldn't understand.

True, very true....

Somebody doesn't like 2pac. :) regarding the others...

Tool has mind blowing time signatures that I can barely wrap my head around. I have to study the structure of the song before I can appreciate it. Very mind engaging, you rarely have to do that with anybody else. Metallica's Orion is like that but in a different way.

Barenaked Ladies was one of the biggest original 90's acts and got popular as I was going into college, and stuff like that sticks with people. They are a fun, goofy, and happy group that makes people smile, but they aren't really a comedy act. The bass player is a trained double-bass symphony guy and he can flat tear up a bass. I was 5' away from the guy just last night. Lots of memories there. Not really a fan of their new stuff though.

Speaking of which... Flea on the chili peppers was ranked #2 in the world on bass at one time, second only to Les Claypool. Of course there's the whole 90's alternative rock draw but I primarily like them due to Flea.

And the Foo Fighters are actually getting better as they get older. Very rare. One of the few current rock bands that are not just staying relevant but gaining popularity even after being on the job for 20+ years.

But, we shouldn't feel the need to explain or justify why we like a group now should we? :) We all grew up in different time periods.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 3