OxyContin and other addictions...

tube fanatic

Ironically as i type this I'm at pain management waiting for the doctor to come in. My daughter's ex bf broke into my house last Thursday while my wife was sleeping and stole my pain meds. I'm here with police report to try and get another prescription. I'm sure some of you are thinking yeah likely story. For me i do get tremendous relief from them. It has been a rough week

• Like 1

Guest thesloth

I still don't understand these people dying from Hydrocodone. Is the cause of death liver failure? All of the Hydrocodone prescriptions I have had and have seen all have Acetaminophen in it like 5/325. You can only have 1000-1200mg of acetaminophen in one dose which is only 3-4 pills Vicodens (4*325=1300). Simple math again here tells me 4*5=20 or 20mg of hydrocodone is killing people? I doubt it. If you were to take enough Vicodens for respritory to shut down it would have to be like 10 Vicodens (50mg of hydrocodone) which would be 3250mg of acetaminophen!!!!!

I just don't see the correlation here? This most recent year is the only year hydrocodone was the number one prescribed drug? And because of that fact more people are dying from them? And specifically they are dying from the hydrocodone compound and not the acetaminophen compound?

I smell BS.

• Like 1

Ironically as i type this I'm at pain management waiting for the doctor to come in. My daughter's ex bf broke into my house last Thursday while my wife was sleeping and stole my pain meds. I'm here with police report to try and get another prescription. I'm sure some of you are thinking yeah likely story. For me i do get tremendous relief from them. It has been a rough week

I feel for ya. are you on a narcotics contract? the ones here are quite brutal and make the assumption you are a dead on criminal. there are clauses about stolen drugs and all sorts of nasty styuff. Hope you get yuor script!! good luck.

Here's someone with an agenda but another viewpoint.

http://deasucks.com/essays/hydrowar.htm

well, dea never details its real agenda. people like to operate on superficial public consumption statements. well, that's fine foer the very naive, but has nothing to do with what is going on. its like people believing president candidates when they make speeeches. Who believes that nonsense? i sure don't. do you? well, why would dea heads be any more honest w/public than pres candidates? goiverment runs on agendas the publica can not see and the present the public with nonsesne to make them happy. let's at least remember that enforcement is dea mission, not health car.

well, this guy writes so much better than me....

paste

Americans are a generous and compassionate people. But they have been brainwashed their entire lives by the constant drumbeat of anti-drug propaganda coming from drug warriors, law enforcement and the criminal justice system, and endlessly parroted by self-serving politicians and the media. 

Twenty years ago, the DEA made prescription drug abuse its primary mission after its survival was threatened because of its failure to have any measurable impact on the availability of street drugs. The DEA ginned-up a lot of bogus statistics about deaths supposedly due to prescription drugs by blaming deaths on prescription drugs if there were any narcotics involved, even if the drugs weren't the actual cause of death. Then they cranked-up their propaganda machine in concert with their allies in various public and private agencies who all have one thing in common; they owe their existence to the war on drugs. The media accepts press releases from these agencies and does stories on them without any critical examination of the claims being made. Mothers who lost their children to drug abuse are invited to testify before Congress, giving our representatives an opportunity to exploit their grief in a national spotlight for political gain.  

The DEA has focused on doctors who prescribe a lot of pain medications to chronic pain patients because they are easy targets. Doctors keep good records and they have a lot of assets that can be seized. And the DEA is far more interested in seizing assets than they are in seizing illegal drugs. Doctors who prescribe narcotics are now living under the constant threat that they will be arrested by the DEA and prosecuted as if they were running a drug cartel. 

Once arrested and stripped of all his assets, a doctor will be charged with tens, if not hundreds of individual crimes, so that they will be under tremendous pressure to plead guilty to lesser charges in order to avoid a lengthy prison sentence. Many doctors who are totally innocent cave-in and accept a plea bargain because they know the odds are stacked against them.

In a criminal trial, a jury of ordinary people are asked to decide whether a doctor's care was appropriate, based on the testimony of competing experts on both sides. Prosecutors who want to portray a compassionate doctor as a common drug dealer will hold up bags of pills and argue that the doctor was operating "outside the bounds of legitimate practice." One way they do that is by trying to confuse the jury about what the legal definition of "Standard of Care" really means.

"Standard of Care" aka Reasonable Physician Standard of Care is legally defined as being based on what the science (as reflected in the medical texts and journals) indicates is appropriate care. 

But prosecutors and their hired-gun experts attempt to use "Community Norms" to show that the doctor is operating way out on the fringes -- beyond what "most doctors" would do. Community Norm is defined as what most doctors would do, but most doctors are afraid to do the right thing because of the chilling effects of DEA intimidation tactics.

Doctors who aggressively treat the patients who need the most pain relief are actually doing the right thing, based on any reasonable interpretation of the science. That puts those doctors outside the norm, and in the DEA's crosshairs, because most doctors won't prescribe ANY narcotics for chronic pain. Only a small percentage are willing to prescribe narcotics for the treatment of chronic pain, and the overwhelming majority of those will only prescribe to their comfort level, rather than their patient's. The tiny percentage of doctors who are courageous enough to put their patients welfare first are under constant surveillance by the DEA and routinely subjected to DEA sting operations. 

You can make a difference, and you should try, because you and everyone you care about is at risk for having their life destroyed by untreated pain. Do not accept without question what is being spoon-fed to you daily by those who profit from denying pain medications to people who need it the most.

-----------------------------

i thank thats a good analasis of what the dea is more really about. look folks, it's like any other cop agency...the liove to bust people, confiscate, hound, persecute, hassle, and so on. LOL!!!! nothing about them cares about your health or wellbeing folks!!!LOL they are cops plan and simple and nothing more fancy then that!! LOL heres what I know for sure - - my doc aint one of them dea type a*holes lookin' to grind the little guy.

I still don't understand these people dying from Hydrocodone. Is the cause of death liver failure? All of the Hydrocodone prescriptions I have had and have seen all have Acetaminophen in it like 5/325. You can only have 1000-1200mg of acetaminophen in one dose which is only 3-4 pills Vicodens (4*325=1300). Simple math again here tells me 4*5=20 or 20mg of hydrocodone is killing people? I doubt it. If you were to take enough Vicodens for respritory to shut down it would have to be like 10 Vicodens (50mg of hydrocodone) which would be 3250mg of acetaminophen!!!!!

I just don't see the correlation here? This most recent year is the only year hydrocodone was the number one prescribed drug? And because of that fact more people are dying from them? And specifically they are dying from the hydrocodone compound and not the acetaminophen compound?

I smell BS.

toxic for acetaminophen is 150mg/kg

This thread is moving so fast I can't keep current, lol.  One point that a lot of people are missing, ADDICTION is the Titanic, alcohol, heroin, opiates, ect., all will kill you, or make you suffer to the bitter end.  They are just different decks of the Titanic and some will sink faster than others but, they will all surly eventually go down.......

click the pic, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

I hope that your wife carries!

If not, you should get her trained and get her something to protect herself.

This could have come out ALOT worse than you just having to jump through a few hoops to get your meds replaced!

Did they catch the little POS????

Roger

Oxycontin is the Narcotic that causes Death both from over dose and quitting cold turkey.

As far as Vicodin goes, up until the last year or so, Medical guidelines were for a MAXIMUM of 4,000 mg Tylenol spaced out over a 24 hour period. In the last year or two, they have decreased the total Acetaminophen that a Nurse is allowed to give down to 3,000 mg spaced out over a 24 hour period and patients may have several different pain meds that have Tylenol in them PLUS Tylenol, so you really need to keep track of how much Acetaminofen the patient is receiving all together.

Google "Tylenol Poisoning" or Acetaminofen Poisening" It is one of the best ways to get the job done! It destroys the Liver and if you ingest enough and wait long enough before your stomach gets pumped, the damage will be done and you are toast!!!

The problem is that a 5/500 Vicodin only has 5mg of the stuff these addicts want, but it has 500mg of Tylenol, and they are to uninformed, stupid, or just don't care and get to where they are not keeping track of just how many they are crushing and snorting.

Arround here, Vicodin is $5 a Pill.

Roger

She does have a gun in the nightstand beside the bed. Doesn't do much good if you don't know someone is there though. Yes they caught him. It's a second degree felony. Thanks guys. I know sometimes ppl here disagree but i find most times we can talk and debate like adults and i appreciate that. Btw they won't give another prescription even under these circumstances. I'll live of course just have to hurt for the next 2 weeks. Done it before and i can do it again. Won't be in a very good mood though.

I smell BS.

I smell BS.

toxic for acetaminophen is 150mg/kg

Roger.

I'm sorry for your Friend's passing.  I won't ask your beliefs, but I hope He is in a better place and Pain Free.

john

In conversation with Pharmacists I have been told it is not the Oxycodone in Percocet, or Hydrocodone in Vicodin that is the real danger.  But the Acetaminophen (Tylenol) that burns out the liver.  Alcohol and Tylenol just makes it happen faster.  That's why they have reduced the tylenol in the compounds.

I have used controlled Pain medications for over 35 years now.  Been a productive member of society.  Employed until my Dr. told me I could not be expected to hold any job any more.  I disagreed and kept hoping to go back to work.  Well finally I did not have a job to go back to.  If I were to take a Nursing Job and anything went wrong while I was working against Dr.'s orders it would not be good.  So I give up.  I will try to live life as comfortable as I can.  Deal with the BS that I will have to go through to get the pain medications that help.

At least I know enough to be able to advocate for family members and advise as I see fit.

• Like 2

She does have a gun in the nightstand beside the bed. Doesn't do much good if you don't know someone is there though. Yes they caught him. It's a second degree felony. Thanks guys. I know sometimes ppl here disagree but i find most times we can talk and debate like adults and i appreciate that. Btw they won't give another prescription even under these circumstances. I'll live of course just have to hurt for the next 2 weeks. Done it before and i can do it again. Won't be in a very good mood though.

If you're not able or don't want to install a full security system I would advise the little door and window alarms.  Have a magnet and small battery powered screamer.  Not expensive and may be enough to deter someone breaking in.

We have these, and I shoot guns outside on my little 4 acres enough that all know I'm armed. 

• Like 2