OxyContin and other addictions...

tube fanatic

I remember when ecstasy was legal.  If everyone who is healthy enough to take it would once or twice, then yes Rodney King, we all could just get along...

for many thousands of years mind-benting drugs were a significent part of spirit life of mankind.

many say modern man has utterly lost tuch with this understanding of purpose of drugs....its not hottubs sex starlets &rockroll....it was more kin to religius practices...spiritule practice. no one seems to remember.

people today are in psych pain...human pain...suffering. im not talkngin about medical...but socially. its why so many millions are seeking drug experience. it is natural. by withholding this experience...control is enhanced over little people.

u seem tuned into this.

May I suggest you move to Amsterdam???

I have no idea.  That's why I asked.

Auto Immune disorders, the body is literally attacking itself!

Just like the body will sometimes attack a transplant organ as a foreign object.

There are two kinds of Arthritis, Osteo Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. With RA, the body is attacking the joints. A simple way to tell by looking is that when you see a person with huge knuckles and their fingers deviate all in one direction at the joints to the hand, this is Rheumatoid Arthritis.

When you are talking about Multiple Sclerosis, the body is attacking the nerves and the patients will get bumps or plaques along the nerve fibers that interrupt nerve transmissions in the brain. This can affect any area of the brain, and it is possible for remissions, so you could wake up totally blind or maybe you couldn't talk, and maybe this will last several months or years, or maybe it will never go away, but it is a progressive disease and will get worse eventually in most cases.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

Because....we are so backwards?

I would think that you have obviously never been to Amsterdam?

I wouldn't want to live there, ok to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there or raise my kids there.

Think of the big easy on steroids or Marty Gras daily, always!

Yes I have been there.  I didn't do any drugs there.  It did not seem like the rampant druggie sandbox like it is popularly portrayed here.

I have seen MANY Oxycontin addicts become extremely aggressive, so I don't know where you are coming off with this one?

That's because it's not as good as heroin.

I couldn't help but laugh, not bad.

I like OxyContin. The only time I get pissy is when I have to deal with Roger. :)

That's no help, nor proof.  PM me if you like. The arms were sent to Iran.  The money was sent to the contras.  Or was it?

Missles were sent to Iran, we armed the Contras to overthrow the Sandinistas.

It's  all so beautiful.

Somewhere along the way, we also armed Afganistan to fight the Russians. They turned the unused weapons on us in that disaster we are still fighting. Funny, we stick our noses in everyone's business and it bites us in the ***. I have a novel idea, lets stop sending aid to all the countries in the world, including Isreal, Pakistan, India, basically the whole middle east. Let them kill each other and use the money to take care of the people here at home. Look at all the homeless people we could help!

I have a couple friends who were in central America on peacekeeping missions. Funny thing is, the public didnt know they were there and part of their job was whacking people. All this while we were a kinder, gentler nation, providing arms to Iran and trading coke and weed as part of the deals.

It is all so beautiful, we could **** up a picnic and forget to bring the ants.

UH OH Thaddeus is going to lock this thread and wave his moderator finger at us. LOL Just kidding, well kind of

Mark

• Like 2

Over the Bridge of Sighs
To rest my eyes in shades of green
Under Dreaming Spires
To Itchycoo Park, that's where I've been

What did you do there? - I got high
What did you feel there? - Well I cried
But why the tears there? - I'll tell you why - yyyyy
It's all too beautiful, It's all too beautiful

I feel inclined to blow my mind
Get hung up, feed the ducks with a bun
They all come out to groove about
Be nice and have fun in the sun
I'll tell you what I'll do - What will you do?
I'd like to go there now with you
You can miss out school - Won't that be cool
Why go to learn the words of fools?

What will we do there? - We'll get high
What will we touch there? - We'll touch the sky
But why the tears there? I'll tell you why
I feel inclined to blow my mind
Get hung up, feed the ducks with a bun
They all come out to groove about
Be nice and have fun in the sun

People aren't regularly overdosing from alcohol, so it's not the same from that perspective. We have alcohol related deaths, but you don't have to worry about someone's respiratory system shutting down after "abusing" the 12 pack.

I have cared for people going through DT's.  Alcohol withdrawal can be life terminating.  I'd call that alcohol related.  Working on a Psych ward I don't know how many times Dr.s would ask for my opinion on what to do for them. 

I have also had to tell Dr.s that if we could not get patient to medical floor they would be dead.  Sometimes ya just got to stand up and call Bull Shit.

I don't know Dean, there are lots of cases of alcohol poisoning.

Some of the patients we got would not be able to afford the drinking alcohol and would get rubbing alcohol and drink that.

Met some really nice people that are now dead due to alcohol withdrawl.

Christy,

True enough, it will vary from location to location, but here in Ohio, they dispose of the meds, so if two are in on it???

Roger

When The last Lady who died here at my wife's adult foster care home.  I was told there was no counting of Pain medications.  "They did not have to do that anymore."  Seems like a Poor system of accountability to me.  When working in the hospital we accounted for every controlled substance medication.  Each and every pill.

Not saying you can't beat the checks and balances in the system because you can.

I've been afraid to ask, because I don't want to bring out any pain, but I'm really curious - what happened with your wife Joe, from the caregiving end of things.

Cranky I have been siting here for some time considering your question, weather to PM or just reply here. It is the Lounge & we are mostly all among friends, so I will do the best I can to describe the story in hopes it my help some one else.

My Pat was one of the happiest, loving people you would ever hope to meet. Nothing put a bigger smile on her face then pleasing me & her children &  helping anyone in need , giving strangers children food & xmas gifts. She had a true joy for life & was a devoted Christian, still loving me even though I am basically an Agnostic.

Her health issues began to appear some 20 years ago, at that time there was no medical test for or any information by the medical field for Fibro Malegia . She saw many doctors, most told her she was just depressed & needed to see a shrink. As the year's (decade) went by Fibro became identified & recognized as a ligament disease. Doctors began giving her Vicodin, Zanex & mussel relaxers (Soma). Then the govt got involved -& she was sent to the type of pain clinics you describe in your earlier post making her feel like a criminal & addict. This had a very negative effect because she was so overly sensitive. Fibro attacks the joint & nerve system, at times her whole arm & shoulder would turn purple with inflammation, little to no sleep for years. Then the Lupus attacked her weakened body-- continuing the downward spiral although never hospitalized... Bottom line is it just grinds you down! She said repeated over the past few years a dog should not have to live like this! She mentioned suicide occasionally, but always said she couldn't take her own life because of her christian beliefs. So I did not ever really believe she would do it, plus she loved her 2 grown children & me so very much & life itself  -- but obviously it got to the breaking point.

Every day I still ask my self could I have done or said something that would have changed the outcome, & I am sure I will still be asking those questions the rest of my life.

As I said a few month ago, hug & tell your loved ones what your heart says as if today was the last day, and in between Enjoy the Music my friends.

I am walking the same path. In the last few months, I had a friend that I never thought could have taken his own life, do so. The MS got to be more than he could take. I have RA rather than Lupus, and also Fibromyalgia. My mother died at 65 due to RA and its complications, my children also have autoimmune disorders. I think the worst part is that people look at you and think you don't LOOK sick, so you just must be faking to get meds. Methotrexate and Cymzia are not fun medications to deal with, along with NSAIDs and sulfa derivatives, and on and on.

Thanks for sharing Cornman, more people need to know how autoimmune disease affects peoples' lives. It is not just those that have disease, it is all their loved ones and caregivers that have to deal with it. Thoughts of peace of mind to you.  

The term "Walking Wounded" comes to mind.  Others can't see the pain or illness, so you must be alright.  Right!

I was with my Sister the day she was diagnosed with Lou Garrick's.  

We cried together knowing what was to come.   8 years later I was with her the day she died.  Oregon has a death with dignity law that allows for a person to obtain medications to take their life if they are terminal.  Pam was a fighter, she worked for several years as an OR charge nurse even after she could no longer walk.  When it finally got so bad she could not take it no longer, she took her own life.  I cried that day too.

How do you contract these things?

The cause is not well understood. The mechanisms are better understood. Most seem to be triggered by an environmental cause (virus, chemical exposure), but the genetics have to also be in place. It is multiple genes that have to be just right for the trigger.

One of my best cruising buddies from High School is in a Nursing Home 2 miles up the road. He has MS, is 51 years old and can't walk even with a walker. He is to afraid to even try because he has fallen to many times. He has lost control over his bowels and bladder, and has absolutely no short term memory. He remembers who I am, and things that we did way back when, but wont remember if you have been there an hour after you leave. His wife is a POS and could be taking care of him as she has no job and lives in a house on his dads property for free. She doesn't even go see him and put the moves on another friend in front of his wife. My Buddies dad wont kick her out because he doesn't want to loose contact with his grown grand kids that don't live there anymore. MS can be one nasty disease!

Roger

Life is not Fair.  Neither are a lot of people in this world.  Some are down right Nasty.

If we all could do a little to help each other it still would not be a perfect world.  But maybe a better world.

john

• Like 2

How do you contract these things?

The cause is not well understood. The mechanisms are better understood. Most seem to be triggered by an environmental cause (virus, chemical exposure), but the genetics have to also be in place. It is multiple genes that have to be just right for the trigger.

One of my best cruising buddies from High School is in a Nursing Home 2 miles up the road. He has MS, is 51 years old and can't walk even with a walker. He is to afraid to even try because he has fallen to many times. He has lost control over his bowels and bladder, and has absolutely no short term memory. He remembers who I am, and things that we did way back when, but wont remember if you have been there an hour after you leave. His wife is a POS and could be taking care of him as she has no job and lives in a house on his dads property for free. She doesn't even go see him and put the moves on another friend in front of his wife. My Buddies dad wont kick her out because he doesn't want to loose contact with his grown grand kids that don't live there anymore. MS can be one nasty disease!

Roger

Just got news a little while ago, Dave Piehls fight with Multiple Sclerosis ended at 9 am this morning....

Roger

• Moderators

Considering the sheer amount of stuff that's on the street, why are they looking at doctors and patients

Because a lot of street pills are generated by this connection.

Maybe some, but from what I'm reading, they make it sound like the stuff is everywhere. For that to happen, almost everyone would have to be selling their prescriptions. I also learned that the new laws and changes in scheduling has barely put a dent in it -- so where's all of this crap coming from?

Where is it coming from? That is the big question. The short answer is that the DEA requested the FDA to reschedule it. They have been requesting an upscheduling for the last five years which the FDA always turned down.

In 2011 or 2012 Congress passed a bill about one thing, but had a provision that required the FDA to look at it again. They looked at it again in 2012 and Health and Human Services told FDA it didn't need to be upscheduled and it ended there. They voted 11 to 1 ro reccomend no upscheduling. Then in 2012 new data was released showing a big upswing in number of hydrocodone prescriptions. At the same time CDC issued information that drug overdoses had become the biggest cause of accidential death in the US exceeding automobile accidents for the first time, and that approximately 15,000 deaths a year were from the overdose of prescription drugs containing hydrocodone. The DEA requested a rehearing based on the "new" information. The two day hearing was conducted in January of 2013. They voted 19 to 10 to reccomend upscheduling, and the head of the FDA followed and approved that recommendation. He then sent it over to the DEA to amend the Schedules and regulations. It went through the DEA process and the changes were announced in the summer of 2014 with an effective date in October if 2014.

That is the general flow of what happened procedurally.

Doctors, patients, pharmacists and othet stakeholders were allowed input, testimony, etc.

Probably too soon to tell if it having any effect.

Travis